News Article: Leafs expansion draft scenario (from the hockey news)!

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Well not really when it comes to discussions of future cap and rosters and trades etc. It has to factor in to a posters thinking before projecting Ufa,s that you will have to protect.

It is a hinderance for all teams going forward. So it is relevant now no!

It's not too early to prepare for, it's too early to speculate whether the likes of Kapanen/Johnsson/Kerfoot get protected.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Bracco has NOT PLAYED A NHL GAME. WHY IS HE BEING PROTECTED??

Well, we hope that he's good enough in 2yrs to want to protect, at least. Too many good players is the kind of problem you want to have.

The good news is that we definitely will not be in a position where we're protecting bad players. That's the worst.

And all the players we want to protect will have good trade value.

Reactions: nuck and JEI

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Why the **** would we protect Bracco and expose Kerfoot our reasonably priced 3rd line center?

Some people need to watch the bloody Marlies for awhile before they start writing protection lists because if the 7 forwards protected aren't Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Johnsson, Kerfoot, Kapanen [MOD]

I would be surprised if hyman wasnt on the list over kap or johnsson

Hyman will have 1 year left on his contract at that point and who knows how much longer he can keep up. He takes the most hits of any player in the league, he could very well break down by 30 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Hyman will have 1 year left on his contract at that point and who knows how much longer he can keep up. He takes the most hits of any player in the league, he could very well break down by 30 years old.

This threads been discussing a 2021 expansion draft. Is it before then? Hyman is UFA by then.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This threads been discussing a 2021 expansion draft. Is it before then? Hyman is UFA by then.

You might be right, I thought he had 1 year left for it but he might be UFA, in which case it definitely makes it easy. I don't know if I would want to renew Hyman at 4M+ for 4+ years.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Hyman's a UFA for the expansion draft, you couldn't pay me to protect him in that situation, I'm incredibly Leary about resigning him as well even if he's not signed as a UFA by Seattle

Any contract more than 2 years or 3M+ and I start breaking out into hives, if there's any player in the league at risk of breaking down and falling off a cliff it's Hyman, his play style screams that to me

Reactions: ToMaLe

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hyman is the one babcock gudpro that actually looks really good by dubey's fancystats too.

I bet he's here a long time.

Reactions: Havoc and Raymoondo

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
You might be right, I thought he had 1 year left for it but he might be UFA, in which case it definitely makes it easy. I don't know if I would want to renew Hyman at 4M+ for 4+ years.

Hyman will not meet exposure requirements unless he is re-signed & under contract for 2021-22. If we intend to keep him, it would be smart to re-sign him post expansion draft and expose a worse player. Regardless, a 29 year old pending UFA Hyman sounds like a bad contract waiting to happen.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

But I hear that a hoping/praying 70pts a year for 7mil is huge bargain (Nylander). How is already achived 40pts for 4mil a year ugly(Hyman)?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
But I hear that a hoping/praying 70pts a year for 7mil is huge bargain (Nylander). How is already achived 40pts for 4mil a year ugly(Hyman)?

Especially taking into consideration Hyman has no PP time. He's a 5v5 beast which is where most the game is played.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Well, Nylander had 2 seasons at 61 pts with pretty bad PP minutes....so you don't think he can make up an additional 9 pts and yet I need to explain to you why signing a player like Hyman long term is a bad idea.

You continue doing you lol. The anti-Nylander crowd just makes it to easy.

Reactions: Havoc

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If the team is pretty much the same as it is now, I would go:

Tavares
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Kapanen
Johnsson
Kerfoot

Rielly
Dermott
Barrie

Andersen

Looks right, but I sure hope moore/bracco/mikheyev make it a much tougher decision for us than it looks like now.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Well, Nylander had 2 seasons at 61 pts with pretty bad PP minutes....so you don't think he can make up an additional 9 pts and yet I need to explain to you why signing a player like Hyman long term is a bad idea.

You continue doing you lol. The anti-Nylander crowd just makes it to easy.

And he was pretty bad last year, and such suckage was entirely of his own doing, so I think its fair not to assume he's suddenly going to go all last year Marner on us. He's got his money, which is what he appeared to want more than anything else. We'll see if he actually puts that money where his mouth is.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Dubas would likely trade a guy like Kerfoot or Johnsson or kappy or Moore or Bracco before exposing him.
Smart move is to move a valuable guy. But you need to find a team who can protect them, and figure out how big a difference it would make.

Like if you trade Bracco to the Wild and they then need to expose a guy who is 90% of Bracco, whats his value worth? Probably extremely diminished.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Remember these rules as well when considering who we have to expose to the expansion draft, this definitely complicates your roster next year:

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.
* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.
* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

Seattle 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights followed

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Smart move is to move a valuable guy. But you need to find a team who can protect them, and figure out how big a difference it would make.

Like if you trade Bracco to the Wild and they then need to expose a guy who is 90% of Bracco, whats his value worth? Probably extremely diminished.

you know i've been going through this over and over in my head and I think i finally hit on a potential outcome I really like....

This may be the perfect time to target a team with 2 good goalies in need of protection, and trade a kappy/johnsson/kerfoot for a hopefully good young goalie, since Freddy is going to be UFA and we probably won't want to be giving him a longterm raise at age 31.

Can anyone see a good goalie target for us? a team that looks like they'll have 2 good goalies in need of protection? and that hopefully has a need for forwards, too?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Hyman has two years left now and the x draft is in 20-21 so that would be after his expiry year. No need to protect him and he will.be resigned.

Edit I now see 10 other people have mentioned this. Sorry for the useless input. It seems a bit ridiculous to put Bracco in the protected column when he needs to displace one of the protected wingers to still be with the club in 21. There may be a couple of.current protected vets moved by that time.

Last edited:
Reactions: WTFMAN99

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
you know i've been going through this over and over in my head and I think i finally hit on a potential outcome I really like....

This may be the perfect time to target a team with 2 good goalies in need of protection, and trade a kappy/johnsson/kerfoot for a hopefully good young goalie, since Freddy is going to be UFA and we probably won't want to be giving him a longterm raise at age 31.

Can anyone see a good goalie target for us? a team that looks like they'll have 2 good goalies in need of protection? and that hopefully has a need for forwards, too?

I think it comes down to doing moves that are 2 for 1s.
i.e. trade Bracco + Kappy for a better Kappy. Or trade AJ/Hyman+ Bracco for an elite LWer

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
And he was pretty bad last year, and such suckage was entirely of his own doing, so I think its fair not to assume he's suddenly going to go all last year Marner on us. He's got his money, which is what he appeared to want more than anything else. We'll see if he actually puts that money where his mouth is.

Totally vague unfairness on your part. That opinion is terrible.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If Hyman loses any footspeed his game is toast. I've grown to like him in his role but he's definitely the biggest risk for falling off a cliff past 30.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Pretty sure Hyman will be a UFA. As will Andersen.

-Why protect, or even extend a 32 yr old goaltender, who doesn't win game 7's?
-I would protect Rielly, Dermott and JLindgren, if anything better becomes eligible, then you can expose Lindgren.
-Hyman will be 29, and no UFAs should be protected

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Totally vague unfairness on your part. That opinion is terrible.

Bad poster is bad :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad