News Article: Leafs expansion draft scenario (from the hockey news)!

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Fun Fact: Leafs only have 2 of the 11 players they protected in that draft still on the team: Rielly/Andersen

Reactions: OddyOh

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
As expected, this is wrong.
And dumb.

Bracco is not going to be protected.
Neither is Muzzin.

Not sure about forwards but I think the Leafs protect Dermott, Rielly and Barrie.
(yes I know Barrie is not covered in this) But even without that, protecting Muzzin is probably wrong.
If he wants to stay here, we offer him a 1 year deal with a wink, wink to extend him after.

Bracco won't even be a Leafs property to protect.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Suggesting Bracco to be on the protected list certainly would have a few people here going a little nuts.

For instance, see Kiwi below.

Of course, its two whole years before the draft, and say Bracco's become a 60 pt. playmaker on the squad wit his elite passing skills at the same cap hit or less than Kerfoot. Then yeah, you probably protect him over a 40pt playmaking center who might be replaceable by say, Engvall or Brooks (both of whom might have major breakout seasons this year and be ready to replace him) by then at again, a lower cap hit.
JB won't be here by then.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Way too early. Several of those players won't be Leafs in two/three years.
Well not really when it comes to discussions of future cap and rosters and trades etc. It has to factor in to a posters thinking before projecting Ufa,s that you will have to protect.

It is a hinderance for all teams going forward. So it is relevant now no!

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It's meaningless now but LOL at Lou protecting Martin over Leipsic.

Not necessarily. If it were just a matter of having to leave a player unprotected, then the Leafs would still have lost another player. If they wanted to make sure VGK selected Martin, then they might have had to offer them a prospect or pick to do so.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
If I protected today it would be..

Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Johnsson, Kapanen, Bracco

Rielly, Barrie, Muzzin

Andersen

The lineup will change during the next couple years though, players will fall and rise and trades and signings will happen.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If I protected today it would be..

Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Johnsson, Kapanen, Bracco

Rielly, Barrie, Muzzin

Andersen

The lineup will change during the next couple years though, players will fall and rise and trades and signings will happen.

Bracco wouldn’t have to be protected . Kerfoot falls in and its good. Dermott is exempt

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
We will likely lose another 1st protecting a player.

Which will mean 3 years in a row without a 1st rounder - aka an utter disaster

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Bracco wouldn’t have to be protected . Kerfoot falls in and its good. Dermott is exempt

Bracco is eligible and would have to be protected or risk losing him. It's 3 seasons but that includes AHL seasons once you no longer are junior age. Thus this season is his 2nd. Otherwise it would have been impossible to lose Leipsic last expansion draft

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
We will likely lose another 1st protecting a player.

Which will mean 3 years in a row without a 1st rounder - aka an utter disaster

utter disaster? That is a bloody dramatic take.

We have a great team, it's not like loosing late round firsts will turn the Leafs into the Sens. I think Leafs management would happily give up a player like Bracco or Moore to protect core pieces. IF they have to give up a first because Bracco or Moore become vital players, then give up a first. Good drafting in rounds two through seven can easily supply low cost players to plug into the line up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad