News Article: Leafs expansion draft scenario (from the hockey news)!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Dubas would likely trade a guy like Kerfoot or Johnsson or kappy or Moore or Bracco before exposing him.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Suggesting Bracco to be on the protected list certainly would have a few people here going a little nuts.

For instance, see Kiwi below.

Of course, its two whole years before the draft, and say Bracco's become a 60 pt. playmaker on the squad wit his elite passing skills at the same cap hit or less than Kerfoot. Then yeah, you probably protect him over a 40pt playmaking center who might be replaceable by say, Engvall or Brooks (both of whom might have major breakout seasons this year and be ready to replace him) by then at again, a lower cap hit.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Dubas would likely trade a guy like Kerfoot or Johnsson or kappy or Moore or Bracco before exposing him.
I don’t get why Bracco is on this list actually. 1st and 2nd year players and prospects are exempt right????

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Personally i would trade Johnsson before Kappy. Kerfoot is going to surprise posters with his play i believe. I don’t think most realize the quality of player he is. He’s pretty all round good actually.

Reactions: mmalady

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don’t get why Bracco is on this list actually. 1st and 2nd year players and prospects are exempt right????

Nah AHL seasons count as pro seasons as long as you're 20+ years old, so this'll be Bracco' s 3rd pro year and he'll have 4 by the draft.

Reactions: Keon1963

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Personally i would trade Johnsson before Kappy. Kerfoot is going to surprise posters with his play i believe. I don’t think most realize the quality of player he is. He’s pretty all round good actually.

Yeah we'll see what makes the most sense. The good news is that all of them will be very tradeable, and for good returns.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Nah AHL seasons count as pro seasons as long as you're 20+ years old, so this'll be Bracco' s 3rd pro year and he'll have 4 by the draft.

I inserted the expansion draft rules link in my initial post now. It say first and second year Nhl players are exempt.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Seems like a stretch to protect Bracco over Kerfoot at the moment considering the former lacks the NHL experience of the latter. With Marner, Nylander, Johnsson and Kapanen all as expansion protected wingers, I'd also wonder if Bracco sits high enough on the team's depth chart. Mind you, there could be cap considerations by then, potentially making a $3.5 M third line centre an unaffordable luxury for the team. Of course, I'd hope the Leafs would still be contending by then, so a side deal could very well be worked out where a player is left "unprotected" to essentially fill expansion draft requirements only.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Why the **** would we protect Bracco and expose Kerfoot our reasonably priced 3rd line center?

Some people need to watch the bloody Marlies for awhile before they start writing protection lists because if the 7 forwards protected aren't Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Johnsson, Kerfoot, Kapanen [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Why the **** would we protect Bracco and expose Kerfoot our reasonably priced 3rd line center?

Some people need to watch the bloody Marlies for awhile before they start writing protection lists because if the 7 forwards protected aren't Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Johnsson, Kerfoot, Kapanen [MOD]

I would be surprised if hyman wasnt on the list over kap or johnsson

Last edited by a moderator:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Might depend on Hyman's cap hit (he will have a new contract by the expansion draft) and Kap and Johnson's play the next 2 seasons
We cannot afford to pay Hyman when his deal is up. Find another player that does what he does at an ELC cap hit by then.

We cannot afford Abdelkader/Helm type deals no matter how official Babcocks adoption papers are.

Reactions: Havoc

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
We cannot afford to pay Hyman when his deal is up. Find another player that does what he does at an ELC cap hit by then.

We cannot afford Abdelkader/Helm type deals no matter how official Babcocks adoption papers are.

Noone has any clue how much he will want in 2 years or how much the cap will raise by then.

A bit early to make such a claim.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Noone has any clue how much he will want in 2 years or how much the cap will raise by then.

A bit early to make such a claim.
Unless he takes $4M or less on a short term 2-3 year deal we likely have to move on. Rielly will need a new deal, Liljegren and Sandin hopefully develop into top 4 D and we have to pay them, and then depending if Woll or Scott work out we'll have to pay a goalie. Not really any room for a lunchbox player making $5M+

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
We'll see whether Bracco performs at the NHL level first before carving this one in stone. Also I'm not about to assume that Kerfoot can't out-perform Johnsson and/or Kapanen.

I like Muzzin but I don't think he stays past this season. That 3rd defenseman is probably someone else. I think there will be another (right sider) veteran defender who Dubas will invest longer term into. Right siders are harder to develop. Dubas crunches the numbers. He knows that fully realized right side defensemen are higher value commodities.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Unless he takes $4M or less on a short term 2-3 year deal we likely have to move on. Rielly will need a new deal, Liljegren and Sandin hopefully develop into top 4 D and we have to pay them, and then depending if Woll or Scott work out we'll have to pay a goalie. Not really any room for a lunchbox player making $5M+

If all of your scenarios work out exactly how your are saying, Yes, Leafs may need to move on.

There is a ton that can happen over 2 season though.

Just look at how the team changed just from 2 years ago to today.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm thinking this blogger thinks he has done a clever troll about the Kadri trade with this list.

giphy.gif

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Trading will be interesting for the next couple of years because of this draft. A team that might normally be willing to trade (for example) a high pick for Johnsson, might not if they would then be in a position to have to protect or possibly lose him.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad