Post-Game Talk: Leafs Dominant in 3-0 Win | Prayers Up for Muzzin

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
They're all in hiding, don't worry they'll return after a Leaf's loss, hopefully that won't be soon.

As one who is not a fan of Dubas' vision, I and probably most of the non disciples of Dubas, would gladly eat crow if they do not lose a game in a long time. Let's win a lousy playoff round with Dubas at the helm. I just do not see it with this defence.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
LOL. I look at big picture, when I form my opinion of Dubas and this team. They are playing against a team that has 1 20 goal scorer (Weresnski) and have not even made it into the playoff round. It is far from the team that beat TB last year. Let's get by this offensively challeged team and see how they measure up againt the top 4 (Bos, TB, Wash, Philly) seed they meet in round #1 before we start calling out the fans who are not fans of Dubas' vision.

As Cam Jannsen said, if they can't beat CBJ, who can they beat ?

There's posters, as you know, who ONLY post to bitch and whine.
And wtf does Cam know ? :) It's all about match-ups, a hot goalie, some luck etc. Would it be an upset if CBJ won? Probably

Reactions: ToneDog

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I guess we can hope. If this was precautionary. But even then I would say a hospital is pretty high risk for Covid-19 no?
yes and no

My older sister has been going on a regular basis for her Chemotherapy and she says they have heavy protocols in place

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
LOL. I look at big picture, when I form my opinion of Dubas and this team. They are playing against a team that has 1 20 goal scorer (Weresnski) and have not even made it into the playoff round. It is far from the team that beat TB last year. Let's get by this offensively challeged team and see how they measure up againt the top 4 (Bos, TB, Wash, Philly) seed they meet in round #1 before we start calling out the fans who are not fans of Dubas' vision.

If you can't be happy now, when are you ever happy?

They just played a great game. Take a deep breath, enjoy the win.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Minus the Marner haters of course. They are still running rampant.

Non jumping on Marner or Nylander but Marner has virtually disappeared since he blocked that Pasta shot in game 4 of last year's playoffs. I had high hopes for Willie, but he needs to pick it up some as well. If the big 4 all show up, this series will be over by Friday.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Minus the Marner haters of course. They are still running rampant.

I'm no hater, although I do think Marner has had a rough season (despite the points). Game 1 continued that trend.

In this game, however, I thought he was quite good. A few gaffes, but otherwise much improved...particularly on the defensive side.

Reactions: ACC1224

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
he got his assist on the Matthews goal coming down the right side. He made a great pass to Matthews for the tip in. I doubt he could have made that play coming down the left wing (even if he was passing to a center shooting right).
I was more focused on positioning and puck battles. You are right though.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If you can't be happy now, when are you ever happy?

They just played a great game. Take a deep breath, enjoy the win.

I am happy now that they answered the bell and played a great game. We live and die with this team. All we want is to see them win. Some of us just do not agree with Dubas' vision and are concerned that he has put us up against the cap. If he can strengthen this team this offseason, I will praise him.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
As one who is not a fan of Dubas' vision, I and probably most of the non disciples of Dubas, would gladly eat crow if they do not lose a game in a long time. Let's win a lousy playoff round with Dubas at the helm. I just do not see it with this defence.
They gave up 1 goal with a goalie in net so far this series with a full core, and that probably shouldn't have gone in. The defence is the least of the Leafs issues so far. By far. The D was hurt all season too, almost zero time as a full healthy unit.

Let's judge their performance on the ice as we watch it today. I don't see St. Louis fans still complaining about being last in the NHL at one point last season.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm fully comfortable with Dermott playing shutdown minutes with Holl. It's not ideal taking him away from Barrie, as they've been fantastic, but it's far more important seeing if Dermott can handle the minutes Muzzin was being given in case he's not out for just a single game.

I think Keefe is going to be going with Marincin as the replacement and it's hard to blame him, but Barrie played his best hockey all season in a sheltered role with Sandin.

Dermott-Holl is a good pairing.

Marincin-Barrie is....uh oh. And then consider we still have Ceci in the top four and my eye starts twitching.

I hope Keefe goes with Sandin-Barrie, but I also don't blame him for wanting Marincin. As much of a nightmare as Marincin can be anywhere near the puck, he's a decent penalty killer.

Reactions: Morgs and kb

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
This doesn't make much sense, though. It should be all or nothing. Like a 3 day quarantine doesn't prove anything
the odds of him getting it under hyper cautious , focused care of the Docs is ridiculously low he would be protected like he is Royalty.

My older sister has been to the hospital several times during this for her chemotherapy and follow ups and says they are really on top of it in there.

Reactions: kb and Merrrlin

RaFe

Aug 1, 2019
You gotta feel great about how we've just so matter-of-factly dominated the puck and the game's flow and pace.

I doubt it's our year, but if we can magically upgrade our blueline in the time it'll take for our outrageously talented young core to add some experience and gravitas, we are going to be an absolute powerhouse.

If all 4 lines and our goalie(s) can show up like they just did in each and every game going forward combined with a little bit of puck luck we might go deep.
This game was great - each and everyone really competed making us much less dependant on our goalie.
But yeah, the blueline looks like our soft spot.

Great performance and a nice bounce back win after the unlucky initial loss in the first round.

Reactions: fbalmeida

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Was this our best game of the year?

Considering it was pretty darn close to do or die (only 1 team has come back from down 2-0 to win a 5 game series), yeah this was our best game not just of the year but probably the best game since we have had this team together with Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, Marner etc.

Sucks that we lost Muzzin though, he was a bit slow in the first game but the second game he was playing really well. He's our best D in our own zone and if he gets replaced by freaking Marincin (very likely) it will be tough to watch at times next game.

Hoping we dress 7 D tomorrow and bring in Maricin and Sandin.

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
Once Mitchy gets into form.. we'll be going deep ladies and gents!! Guy is a game changer and he hasn't even showed up yet.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
They gave up 1 goal with a goalie in net so far this series with a full core, and that probably shouldn't have gone in. The defence is the least of the Leafs issues so far. By far. The D was hurt all season too, almost zero time as a full healthy unit.

Let's judge their performance on the ice as we watch it today. I don't see St. Louis fans still complaining about being last in the NHL at one point last season.

Yup Defence has been good against this goal scoring challenged team. I still have concerns that they cannot handle the heavy cycle. It was more evident in game 1 than game 2. Having now seen 2 games, I think we should be able to win this series. The next team they play will be a much bigger challenge. I hope they are up for it because there is nothing more that I want to see than Johnny and Matty leading us into the second round.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

LOL

I know that win last night was tough but hang in there. Columbus can still do this if Korpisalo can really stand on his head the rest of the way.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
LOL

I know that win last night was tough but hang in there. Columbus can still do this if Korpisalo can really stand on his head the rest of the way.

d91.gif

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Non jumping on Marner or Nylander but Marner has virtually disappeared since he blocked that Pasta shot in game 4 of last year's playoffs. I had high hopes for Willie, but he needs to pick it up some as well. If the big 4 all show up, this series will be over by Friday.
Marnie had 5 shots and 12 shot attempts bro. Columbus are like crocodiles and the net is waters edge. They are getting in the way of everything there. Pump fake, pass fake, fake everything there and they are all swimming after nothing.
That team will block everything. Marner isn’t the only one not getting shots to get to the keeper. I think we can be better, but what we did this past game worked. So good enough.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Best Leaf overall performance in years. Total domination. Thats da way I like it. Freddy makes all da saves. Matty goes beast. Tavares plays much better with Willy.

And Mitch played a lot better than game 1. He had some game. It is not an opponent that suits his game but effort was there.

If Muzzy goes down then Dermy can fill in fine for a few games til he is back.

Great coaching from Keefe. I give him all da credit. Engval huge improvement over Goat and it brought Clifford back.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
In my opinion this series isn't really the playoffs, not until there are 16 teams left then the playoffs start. It's unfortunate that the NHL screwed the Leafs because they were in a playoff spot by 3 points with 10 games left, they'd have to collapse to miss the playoffs, but what can you do?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad