Post-Game Talk: Leafs Dominant in 3-0 Win | Prayers Up for Muzzin

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I would bet they were still better off when scoring first (if you look at their record when the other team scores first it is probably even worse).
We had the third best winning percentage when scoring first (0.774 winning %) but nearly half the league (14 teams) had an over .700 winning percentage when scoring first.

Reactions: Community

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
kills me when posters say "where are the negative Leaf posts" when the Leafs play a game where there's nothing to complain about, duh.................

There are posters who have nothing but negative things to say - ever. Everything and everyone sucks. Those are the people that go MIA for long stretches when the team is winning. Trolls really.....

Reactions: Dekes For Days

fbalmeida

Feb 14, 2009
Braga, Portugal
If all 4 lines and our goalie(s) can show up like they just did in each and every game going forward combined with a little bit of puck luck we might go deep.
This game was great - each and everyone really competed making us much less dependant on our goalie.
But yeah, the blueline looks like our soft spot.

Great performance and a nice bounce back win after the unlucky initial loss in the first round.

I'm sure it's going to be a fun ride.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
If all 4 lines and our goalie(s) can show up like they just did in each and every game going forward combined with a little bit of puck luck we might go deep.
This game was great - each and everyone really competed making us much less dependant on our goalie.
But yeah, the blueline looks like our soft spot.

Great performance and a nice bounce back win after the unlucky initial loss in the first round.
I actually thought the defense was great last night. They closed quickly on guys and took away time and space in the neutral zone. Columbus rarely got a clean entry, and they clearly weren't creative enough to do anything with it. Just need to keep it up even with Muzzin out.

Reactions: qqaz

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Was this Fred's first playoff shutout as a Leaf? I think so. Leafs have not had a shutout in the playoffs since Belfour, again, unless I am misremembering.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
"Good teams are built from goalie out [Andersen Shutout], through strong defense [zero goals against] and strength down the middle [Matthews and Tavares score]".

Built like a sword. Grip, guard, and blade.

_____ //
o\\\\\\ || ================>
¯¯¯¯¯\\

Grip is the goalie, guard is your top pair, blade is the centers. Looks like a sword on the depth chart:

xxx - xxx - xxx
xxx - xxx - xxx
xxx - xxx - xxx
xxx - xxx - xxx

xxx - xxx
xxx - xxx
xxx - xxx

xxx
xxx

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What were the possession stats in that game. I don’t even know where or how to look them up because i decided i really don’t want to consume myself with them. It was tilted some bad i know that.

The ice was tilted in Leafs favour all game. Total domination by the Leafs.

Torts summed up the game best in his post game presser and gave the same answer to most game related performance questions the reporters asked.

"Toronto played a real good game and we sucked"

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
there have been some interesting developments from the first two games:

-the soft inept cowering Leaf defence that Columbus were going to shred with their incredible death star forecheck has allowed precisely one laugher on Freddy in 6 periods of hockey. Fred spent most of game 2 sipping gatorade

-the unbelievably intimidating physical play of the Jackets, surely more than the pathetic soft Leafs could handle, has had little impact on Toronto besides a fluke fall hurting Muzzin.

-Auston Matthews is showing himself to be a playoff stud even against incredibly hard teams to score on.

-Robertson has absolutely been thrown into the deep end here, and you know what, he's done alright. Kid is a future top 6 forward without a doubt.

Some of us knew how overstated Columbus' physicality was going into the series.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Only 2 games in but Leafs rankings so far:

5v5:

CF%: 53.00 (6th out of 24)
xGF%: 53.79 (5th out of 24)
GF%: 64.65 (6th out of 24)

Pretty solid 5v5 play and, depsite the hate he has been getting, Marner easily leads the team with 66% CF% rating and is a hair behind Tavares for the team xGF% lead. (Both around an amazing 70%)

PK:
Goals against/60: 0 (Tied for first out of 24)
Expected goals against/60: 3.19 (5th out of 24)

Might just be a reflection of how awful the Columbus PP is but the Leafs actually have a 56.87 xGF% on the PK!

PP:
Goals/60: 0 (Tied for 18th out of 24)
Expected goals for/60: 8.13 (5th out of 24)

Underlying numbers say the great Columbus goaltending also stifling an effective powerplay.

Goaltending:

Andersen ranks first in save % (.981) and 4th in GSAA/60 (1.72) out of the 27 keepers on the playoffs so far.

He's been as amazing as his counterpart across the rink.

I know its probably too small a sample size, especially with some teams only having played a single game, but its still fun to check the numbers out.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Dermott-Holl is a good pairing.

Marincin-Barrie is....uh oh. And then consider we still have Ceci in the top four and my eye starts twitching.

I hope Keefe goes with Sandin-Barrie, but I also don't blame him for wanting Marincin. As much of a nightmare as Marincin can be anywhere near the puck, he's a decent penalty killer.

Yeah, I'm not thrilled with Marincin in a series like this where they're going to be dumping it into his end and constantly pressuring HIM to move the puck. To me he's better suited against a team like Tampa or Pittsburgh where you just make him avoid the Kuch/Crosby/Malkin-types and let him be good defensively against 3rd lines. I really like him on the PK though, and because we lost Muzzy, I'd be surprised to see Keefe go with Sandin.

I'd much rather see Sandin-Barrie just take 50% of the overall offensive faceoffs and avoid defense altogether, but we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Muzzy is OUT for the rest of the Columb series as per leafs PR ,due to the injury

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
5 shots and 12 attempted shot yesterday. You watch the highlights only or waaaaaaa

Marner has been fine, albeit inconsistent as hell and is clearly trying too hard to force something to happen.

Yesterday was a huge bounceback game from him, and I guarantee the majority of the "haters" (I'm not a hater) would have shut up if he put up two secondary assists.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
5 shots and 12 attempted shot yesterday. You watch the highlights only or waaaaaaa

You only look at the stat sheet or waaaaaaa

I watched the entire game. Better than game 1 but tossing muffins on net doesn’t do anything. He’s still not engaging defensively and is handling the puck like it’s his first time playing hockey save a shift or two last game. Questionable decision making the first two games.

When he’s on he’s a magician, when he’s not he’s a liability out there with his decision making

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
You only look at the stat sheet or waaaaaaa

I watched the entire game. Better than game 1 but tossing muffins on net doesn’t do anything. He’s still not engaging defensively and is handling the puck like it’s his first time playing hockey save a shift or two last game. Questionable decision making the first two games.

When he’s on he’s a magician, when he’s not he’s a liability out there with his decision making
Yeah he got introduced as Mitch Marnie after the game while sitting at the podium with Andersen. They were laughing ha. Muffie Marnie. Didn’t look like he was to worried bout much waaaaaa
I’m not thinkin he cares what you think.

Mitch Marnie? Post-game blunder goes viral

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm not sure how much it really mattered, but it's interesting that Keefe held scrimmages at 4 pm to get the team more comfortable with playing at that time. The Leafs didn't look ready to play at all in the afternoon game in last year's playoffs. Babcock kept talking endlessly about having the team prepared and ready to go, but it seems like Keefe is actually trying to accomplish that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad