Post-Game Talk: Leafs demolish the Scabs 6:0, wb AM34

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm pretty sure I recall nylander skating in to help but he got taken out alongthe boards. Either way I thought the same, you gotta help your teammate
Agreed. To be fair, it's also on the refs though. You gotta give Benn a penalty there. you aren't doing your job as officials if you aren't protecting players from getting jumped by two guys. one two minute powerplay wasn't enough

Reactions: Garthinater

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Agreed. To be fair, it's also on the refs though. You gotta give Benn a penalty there. you aren't doing your job as officials if you aren't protecting players from getting jumped by two guys. one two minute powerplay wasn't enough
the refs shoulda given patches a penalty for that board on kadri. none of the extracurricular shit woulda happened if there was a penalty given

Reactions: Garthinater

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I'd say it was the reason Martin was put on the line with Matthews and Marners. And they responded with 2 more goals. I didn't see Matthews or Marner being taken advantage of while Martin was on that line though. Or maybe I'm mistaken?

I don’t get your point.

Zeitsev dropped his gloves and asked Byron to go. Was Martin suppose to jump off the bench to be third man in? Hands getting hurt in a fight is a reality and a two-way street.

Leafs had no push back so Habs kept taking liberties on our players and a guy like Zaitsev had to get into a fight. He’s not here to fight.

Kadri is well capable of handling himself. I didn't like the fact that he had to take on Weber while being held by Benn as line-mates looked on. Again Martin on the bench. Webers hand could get hurt fighting also.

I never said kadri wasn’t capable of handling himself. He handled himself perfectly fine and I said as much in my post naming him as the only guy to have any push back against the Habs. The injury joke is funnier each paragraph. You’d rather the guy who is 2nd in the league in PK get into a scrap than feel comfortable on the ice?

Gallagher is 5'9", Carrick did just fine without Martin. I could just imagine the backlash from both fan bases if Martin would drop his gloves and dummy Gallagher. Gallagher hands could have been hurt also.

Gallagher is a rat and was looking for a fight. I don’t mind that fight because Carrick is a tough little guy but he did get jumped. I had no problem when Martin jumped Stetcher last year or when Orr jumped Kaleta after each team started taking liberties on our team. Aka the whole point of my post that went flying over your head obviously.

I didn't think Komarov was "a tough guy". I thought he was a physical player who takes the body. But I wasn't aware dropping the gloves was in his wheelhouse.

I never said I wanted him to drop the gloves. He provided no push back. He’s not a point producer, he’s there to provide defense and to hit people. He had one hit in the first period and then disappeared. He wasn’t doing his job. Kadri on the other hand was looking for hits all game.

If you're saying we lack a bit of team toughness in the sense of larger more physical teams pushing our smaller players around occasionally, I'd agree. But I get the sense that a lot of vocal Leaf fans don't mind this and would rather see a guy like Martin out the door. I'd bet our skilled players have a differing opinion, and thankfully so do the coaching staff and management. Put the Martin pitchfork down.

The Martin pitchfork. :laugh: I’m one of the biggest proponents of physical play and fighting on these boards and was a fan of the signing from the jump. He needs to earn his money by providing push back in games like those.

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
I have been pretty vocal regarding Andersen's play in October. He was playing like hot garbage. Did the same last year as well. Some posters here were demanding apologies from people as if they were the ones being talked about or act like others were not speaking the truth. If he was stellar, why were all of his numbers putrid? It's frustrating to see someone that the team depends on struggle so mightily. Guy would let in nearly four every night. We would score and get a lead or close the gap and Andersen would get scored on within the next few shifts. November comes around and all of a sudden he's shutting people out bi weekly. Even with his stellar play of late, his numbers are still recovering from the dookie show that was October. Looks like two completely different goalies IMO.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
As the afterglow of this great win over the team's truest rival is fading, I wonder whether we should become the type of boards that calls our rival "scabs". It seems to cross a line. It's a term with an ugly connotation.

Reactions: egd27

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I have been pretty vocal regarding Andersen's play in October. He was playing like hot garbage. Did the same last year as well. Some posters here were demanding apologies from people as if they were the ones being talked about or act like others were not speaking the truth. If he was stellar, why were all of his numbers putrid? It's frustrating to see someone that the team depends on struggle so mightily. Guy would let in nearly four every night. We would score and get a lead or close the gap and Andersen would get scored on within the next few shifts. November comes around and all of a sudden he's shutting people out bi weekly. Even with his stellar play of late, his numbers are still recovering from the dookie show that was October. Looks like two completely different goalies IMO.
he was stellar in that he made a lot of high danger saves, but he would allow a questionable goal every game.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
As the afterglow of this great win over the team's truest rival is fading, I wonder whether we should become the type of boards that calls our rival "scabs". It seems to cross a line. It's a term with an ugly connotation.

They had no problem calling us "The Laffs" for decades on end. They should just man up and take the critcism on the chin like we have for the last 50 years.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
What is the "jersey switch" I see mentioned? I missed the opening ceremony.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
:laugh: Yeah that's why Zaitsev fought.

Zaitzev is a fly on someones arse, the guy he fought is the same, Kadri is in the same boat yet more of a Rat type...the blind side hit he tried to lay deserved a response...Neither can fight, some kudos should be given since few Leafs even have the intestinal fortitude to push back.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
What is the "jersey switch" I see mentioned? I missed the opening ceremony.

They were honouring the 100 years by having a rep from each of the Original 6 come out.
Dave Keon = Leafs
Ray Bourque = Bruins
Rod Gilbert = Rangers
Denis Savard = Blackhawks
Frank Mahovlich = Wings
Yvan Cournoyer = Habs

After they were all announced, Savard and Mahovlich pulled off their sweaters and had Habs jerseys underneath. So the ceremony ended with 3 players repping the Habs and no one repping the Wings or Hawks.

Some (including me) thought it was in poor taste.

Reactions: Jmo89

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Zaitzev is a fly on someones arse, the guy he fought is the same, Kadri is in the same boat yet more of a Rat type...the blind side hit he tried to lay deserved a response...Neither can fight, some kudos should be given since few Leafs even have the intestinal fortitude to push back.
not many rats would take a run at a guy like Weber to get vengeance

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
They were honouring the 100 years by having a rep from each of the Original 6 come out.
Dave Keon = Leafs
Ray Bourque = Bruins
Rod Gilbert = Rangers
Denis Savard = Blackhawks
Frank Mahovlich = Wings
Yvan Cournoyer = Habs

After they were all announced, Savard and Mahovlich pulled off their sweaters and had Habs jerseys underneath. So the ceremony ended with 3 players repping the Habs and no one repping the Wings or Hawks.

Some (including me) thought it was in poor taste.

Wasn't Mahovlich remembered more for his Leaf tenure than his Habs one? He won 4 Stanley Cups as a Leaf compared to his 2 in Montreal.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Bad management.
Bloated contracts.
Bare cupboard.

That's Montreal.

They got no centers.

Look at the game last night. On the opening goal, a Leafs center made a pass and a long shot found its way in. Next a half minute later, a Leafs center score.

Third period, Brown takes a draw gets it back to the point, the shot comes through and Brown puts in the rebound for another goal, while the Montreal center has a brain cramp on Hockey Night in Canada. That is baaaaaaaad.

The JVR goal, maybe the center pushed it towards the middle to Moore who was playing the wing, but it bounces to JVR right on the tape. Goalie probably did not have a chance.

Then another Leafs center, scores two more goals, and smiles to the stunned crowd.

Strength up the middle. Montreal needs to play the entire game along the boards, because they can't in the middle.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Bad management.
Bloated contracts.
Bare cupboard.

That's Montreal.

They got no centers.

Look at the game last night. On the opening goal, a Leafs center made a pass and a long shot found its way in. Next a half minute later, a Leafs center score.

Third period, Brown takes a draw gets it back to the point, the shot comes through and Brown puts in the rebound for another goal, while the Montreal center has a brain cramp on Hockey Night in Canada. That is baaaaaaaad.

The JVR goal, maybe the center pushed it towards the middle to Moore who was playing the wing, but it bounces to JVR right on the tape. Goalie probably did not have a chance.

Then another Leafs center, scores two more goals, and smiles to the stunned crowd.

Strength up the middle. Montreal needs to play the entire game along the boards, because they can't in the middle.

Goes to show what bad management can really do and all us Leaf fans are well familiar with that.

Things are only going to get worse for Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad