Post-Game Talk: Leafs demolish the Scabs 6:0, wb AM34

Status
Not open for further replies.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Wasn't Mahovlich remembered more for his Leaf tenure than his Habs one? He won 4 Stanley Cups as a Leaf compared to his 2 in Montreal.

Well he was repping the Red Wings when he came out........take it up with Bell Centre people, I'm just chronicling. :)

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Nothing, absolutely nothing, feels better than whooping the Canadiens. Especially in Montreal.

Seeing the disappointed faces of the fans as Auston grinned after his goals just made my night!

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
As the afterglow of this great win over the team's truest rival is fading, I wonder whether we should become the type of boards that calls our rival "scabs". It seems to cross a line. It's a term with an ugly connotation.

Totally agree, but not not every poster is as sound minded and grown up as you appear to be.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
1zms6h.jpg

How does this guy still have a job ? :laugh:

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Goes to show what bad management can really do and all us Leaf fans are well familiar with that.

Things are only going to get worse for Montreal.

Depends. With parity and the cap it demands that talent needs to be spread out. As such, if they just find a way to free up some cap space they could very well have a much quicker turn around then we did.

For instance if they simply land Taveres next summer...that's going to put them right back into the middle of the pack.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Nope he stood there but ut he took a man. That's something at least.
Too bad bone crusher Z wasn't in there :laugh:

I'd prefer bone crusher Z didn't drop his gloves again it wasn't pretty, Gardiner didn't want a bar of that little frackar, that was one reluctant skate and grab

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Depends. With parity and the cap it demands that talent needs to be spread out. As such, if they just find a way to free up some cap space they could very well have a much quicker turn around then we did.

For instance if they simply land Taveres next summer...that's going to put them right back into the middle of the pack.
I dont think they could pay Tavares enough money to go to Montreal....

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Wasn't Mahovlich remembered more for his Leaf tenure than his Habs one? He won 4 Stanley Cups as a Leaf compared to his 2 in Montreal.

Correct, but the Big M was basically run out of town by Imlach. Punch was an exceedingly 'old time' coach and gm who would not hesitate disparaging his own players for any perceived 'weakness'. He ridiculed Frank, contract negotiations were a nightmare and while Frank might have been an overly sensitive individual (and it's hard to comment on a person's emotional make-up, people are who they are) it's generally understood that he was very glad to get away from Imlach's reign of terror. I suppose the most current example of the Imlach style would be Torts, and he was forced to mellow as the years went by. Imlach never did.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Correct, but the Big M was basically run out of town by Imlach. Punch was an exceedingly 'old time' coach and gm who would not hesitate disparaging his own players for any perceived 'weakness'. He ridiculed Frank, contract negotiations were a nightmare and while Frank might have been an overly sensitive individual (and it's hard to comment on a person's emotional make-up, people are who they are) it's generally understood that he was very glad to get away from Imlach's reign of terror. I suppose the most current example of the Imlach style would be Torts, and he was forced to mellow as the years went by. Imlach never did.

Doesn't surprise me tbh. I also heard something else about Imlach. Some scout wrote him a letter telling him of this incredible 16 yr old Defenseman playing for the Generals that he wanted him to see for himself. He ended up dismissing the letter and the player in question. Turns out that the player was Bobby Orr. Doh!

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'd prefer bone crusher Z didn't drop his gloves again it wasn't pretty, Gardiner didn't want a bar of that little frackar, that was one reluctant skate and grab
Hahaha so right on both accounts bit because of that fact I give Gards props for at least engaging in it.
Z, I had no idea what he was doing there. It was not something I expected at all. Good in him though for showing a backbone. He should take lessons from Dermott or Carrick in how to give back without dropping the mits. I was honestly afraid he would have gotten hurt.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Hahaha so right on both accounts bit because of that fact I give Gards props for at least engaging in it.
Z, I had no idea what he was doing there. It was not something I expected at all. Good in him though for showing a backbone. He should take lessons from Dermott or Carrick in how to give back without dropping the mits. I was honestly afraid he would have gotten hurt.

I was bloody petrified, Zaitsev is to important to risk something like a broken hand fighting some scrub on a bad team

I'd rather he take a penalty for crosschecking or slashing than do something stupid like fighting

Gards didn't want to be there, he was a reluctant participant shall we say, about the only guy on the blueline that doesn't mind that type of thing is Carrick and he's a small dude

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
What is the point of Martin again? 2 on 1 against Kadri. Zaitsev? The game was out of reach and he could have done something without risking a loss. Instead he is afraid of missing time with 34

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
What is the point of Martin again? 2 on 1 against Kadri. Zaitsev? The game was out of reach and he could have done something without risking a loss. Instead he is afraid of missing time with 34
don't forget Marner got rubbed out by Weber. I thought Martin was supposed to keep the flies off! Nine times out of ten, Martin is fighting to answer for a hit he's made against the other team. Not to protect the young Leafs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
pretty much. Martin should have fought. Isn't that what he's there for?
Players who play physical need to defend themselves at times.
Martin wasn't even on the ice. Martin should have looked for Bennett or Weber at some point though, not sure why he didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad