Leafs Dead Last on Powerplay Opportunities over last 2 years.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
They are extremely soft so maybe that's why? Other teams don't instigate much against them, because well the Leafs rarely rough it up.

Who's drawn the most penalties from the Leafs the past 2 years? Kadri? That should tell you something.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Give it another half decade.

Bruins never got out of the bottom 5 from 2006- 2017 Finishing last 4 times with their highest being 25th (once). Despite being one of the best teams in the league.

They had a hundred less chances than 29th New Jersey over the decade, 300 or something less than 28th, and a 1000 less than the leading teams.

Probably the biggest statistical anomaly the league has had as it's weird.
I think Carolina and Philadelphia had the most. - however good teams, bad teams, fast teams, slow teams, big teams, small teams, young teams, old teams, black sweaters, light sweaters, trapping teams, possession teams, etc. all moved up and down the scale - except for Boston. Even NJ went way up there one year and lead the league I think.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
At HOME over the last two seasons.

1. Nashville - 212 opportunities
2. Tampa Bay - 202 opportunities
5. Winnipeg - 192 opportunities
8. Boston - 190 opportunities
10. Pittsburgh - 188 opportunities
12. Washington - 182 opportunities
30. Toronto - 161 opportunities

It seems like one of these are not like the other to me.
15/16. Blues/Sharks at 180 opportunities. Leafs are only 19 away from being middle of the pack. It's not much of a significant difference.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Actually not surprising to me, Leafs are one of the least penalized teams in the NHL also, one of the top forward groups teams want to avoid taking pens......not surprising they get fewer PP's. Because the Leafs are so "non physical" they don't get many retaliation type of calls. Multi reasons, no single reason but they all add up. Not to mention the difference between last and top 10 isn't that much in actual PP's.

Reactions: Wats and Loosie

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
With the Leafs PP being as good as it is, Dubas should prioritize acquiring an agitator that draws a lot of penalties (and likely takes a lot as well to be fair). While their PK isn't great, their PP is more than enough to compensate.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

Who is 31st?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

means nothing lot of pp are only seconds long unless you have the total minutes shorthanded then you cant say one way or the other.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
The fact they're so low in both penalties taken and penalties drawn over the last few years leads me to believe refs are far more hesitant (scared?) to call penalties in general when it's a Leafs game. Make of that what you will

srs

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
They get outshot regularly. The other team has the puck more so they don’t draw a lot penalties.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Does someone have an explanation for this because I can't seem to come up with one. For a team as good as they are, and as fast as they are off of the break, they should be generating more opportunities to use their lethal PP. You can go to nhl.com to see the stat for itself. Is there a statistical reason why the Leafs seem to be bad at drawing penalties?

I have watched almost every game this season and the Babcock era. Babcock plays a complete interference game with lots of moving pics which the refs never call. He ran the same scheme in Detroit. So my theory is they aren’t calling the Leafs on the interference plays and not calling it the other way for the Leafs. You will notice however, the Leafs almost always get the first PP and it’s around the 5 minute mark of the first period.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
I have watched almost every game this season and the Babcock era. Babcock plays a complete interference game with lots of moving pics which the refs never call. He ran the same scheme in Detroit. So my theory is they aren’t calling the Leafs on the interference plays and not calling it the other way for the Leafs. You will notice however, the Leafs almost always get the first PP and it’s around the 5 minute mark of the first period.

Bitter after that OT loss?

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

When you look at a ranked list, and for some reason decide to pick out the 1st, 2nd, 5th, 8th, 10th 12th, and 30th teams... the 30th team is obviously going to stand out.

What is the point of this?

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Two years before that the Rangers and Blue Jackets were at the bottom. And the two years before that the Bruins and Devils were at the bottom. It's almost like it's completely random and every team goes through times of getting and not getting calls.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Refs don't tend to call things either way in leafs games. They easily could be drawing more penalties if officials were willing to call them, but they could also be taking more. I don't really have any idea why the refs want to do it, but they do

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad