Leafs Dead Last on Powerplay Opportunities over last 2 years.

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
Not at all. Love that we outplayed the Leafs.
I expecting to get killed after playing Nashville the night before.
I enjoy good hockey. That was one of the most entertaining games I’ve seen in a long time.

The Leafs won. Buffalo has not out played anyone for what, 5 or 6 games now. Stop the delirium. The score board tells the tale.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
My Leafs and Matthews doesn't need a powerplay to score. Most people don't know this but Matthews is actually first in even strength goals since entering the League, despite playing significantly less games than anyone else of the top goal scoring guys. Tavares too has manned up in the even strength department after joining the Leafs...

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Does someone have an explanation for this because I can't seem to come up with one. For a team as good as they are, and as fast as they are off of the break, they should be generating more opportunities to use their lethal PP. You can go to nhl.com to see the stat for itself. Is there a statistical reason why the Leafs seem to be bad at drawing penalties?

Opposing teams are terrified to take penalties against the Leafs. And rightly so.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
At HOME over the last two seasons.

1. Nashville - 212 opportunities
2. Tampa Bay - 202 opportunities
5. Winnipeg - 192 opportunities
8. Boston - 190 opportunities
10. Pittsburgh - 188 opportunities
12. Washington - 182 opportunities
30. Toronto - 161 opportunities

It seems like one of these are not like the other to me.

And yet the leafs have had one of, if not the best power play in that time frame.

Sounds far fetched that the league would purposefully give some teams more pp's than other teams but crazier things have happened

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Only thing I can think of is the fact that our players don't dive or try to milk calls out of refs. Kadri used to flop around to draw penalties but he's grown out of it over the past few years. Teams also are smart enough to realise that they shouldn't be handing the Leafs PP opportunities for nothing and tend to be more careful to not take unnecessary penalties.
Lmao
Yeah... that's why.....*facepalm*

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Since 2017-18 (~112) games, Toronto has had 301 PP.

The next closest team is Anaheim. They’ve had just 303.

But Anaheim has played 2 more games at this point, so it’s possible Toronto has more PP opps by.....Tuesday

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
This actually plays into Toronto's favor. They sacrifice PP time which is fine since they score at even strength like it's nothing in order to be allowed to throw picks all over the ice for sixty minutes which they'll need to play adequate enough defense given who they dress back there.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
I would suspect that teams specifically game plan not to take penalties against one of the best PP’s in the game. If a team has heightened awareness, they’ll obviously pay very close attention to stick placement and how aggressively they can defend.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Unless I read it wrong, aren't they last in the league when it comes to penalties taken this season and near the bottom of the league last season when it comes to penalties taken?

EDIT: Ignore, already been discussed.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
This actually plays into Toronto's favor. They sacrifice PP time which is fine since they score at even strength like it's nothing in order to be allowed to throw picks all over the ice for sixty minutes which they'll need to play adequate enough defense given who they dress back there.
Considering their power play is 24.2% at home and 32% on the road, that makes no sense. Going off % alone, they would score more than they currently score with more powerplay time.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Opposing teams are terrified to take penalties against the Leafs. And rightly so.
Tampa Bay is 2nd in PP opportunities. I don't think teams are falling over themselves to see Tampa on the PP either.

It's just a random thing. Playstyle may impact it a bit.

Also, it's not like the Leafs are hugely under average. It's a nice talking point, but it probably isn't enough to make a big dent.

Reactions: ECanuck

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not surprising really. The Leafs are more of a skilled team than a heavy team that grinds it out in the offensive zone. And they have lots of young players.
As the poster above said someone has to be last.
Not that this will stop the conspiracy theorists.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Only thing I can think of is the fact that our players don't dive or try to milk calls out of refs. Kadri used to flop around to draw penalties but he's grown out of it over the past few years. Teams also are smart enough to realise that they shouldn't be handing the Leafs PP opportunities for nothing and tend to be more careful to not take unnecessary penalties.
Post of the thread.
:laugh:

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Unless there is some legitimate evidence of a conspiracy, this is a pointless post that's just going to turn into a pissing match. Why bother?

My 2 cents. We're a stretch pass/rush team that doesn't play much of a cycle in the offensive zone. It's the cycle that generates calls because you're tiring the other team out in close quarters. IIRC Ennis is one of our leading penalty drawers right now because our 4th line has actually been doing a decent job of cycling the puck. You don't see as many penalties off a rush because there's more space.

Mar 14, 2011
The refs are conspiring to limit the scoring of Nylander, Marner and Matthews in order for the Leafs to sign all 3 at a reasonable price and once all 3 of them are sign, the refs will then shower the Leafs with powerplays.

Reactions: BLONG7

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Anyone actually suggesting it’s the league or refs out to get the Leafs.....sorry I can’t take your opinion seriously.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Anyone actually suggesting it’s the league or refs out to get the Leafs.....sorry I can’t take your opinion seriously.
Still remember the days, when Kaberle and McCabe were strolling the point, and the Leafs were getting 6-7 pp's per night, and of course the mandatory two 5 on 3's to keep them going!! lol It was the Pat Quinn era...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad