Leafs Dead Last on Powerplay Opportunities over last 2 years.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Does someone have an explanation for this because I can't seem to come up with one. For a team as good as they are, and as fast as they are off of the break, they should be generating more opportunities to use their lethal PP. You can go to nhl.com to see the stat for itself. Is there a statistical reason why the Leafs seem to be bad at drawing penalties?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
If they play a perimeter game when they're not fast breaking I could understand that. If your in-zone game doesn't create chaos then outside of stick infractions there might not be much to call.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Only thing I can think of is the fact that our players don't dive or try to milk calls out of refs. Kadri used to flop around to draw penalties but he's grown out of it over the past few years. Teams also are smart enough to realise that they shouldn't be handing the Leafs PP opportunities for nothing and tend to be more careful to not take unnecessary penalties.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Does someone have an explanation for this because I can't seem to come up with one. For a team as good as they are, and as fast as they are off of the break, they should be generating more opportunities to use their lethal PP. You can go to nhl.com to see the stat for itself. Is there a statistical reason why the Leafs seem to be bad at drawing penalties?
Need acting lessons...Leafs have money ,maybe hire an embellishment coach? Babs can maybe take the Refs out to dinner ? It's a conspiracy? They know the Leafs would likely be ...unstoppable?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Bruins have been a bottom 5 team in PP chances going back as far as the early 90's ( which is when I stopped checking ). There have been outlier seasons here and there and have been better the last couple of years in this regard.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
No conspiracy.

We are also one of the least penalized teams as well. Surely there’s a correlation there.

Also, if you believe makeup calls are a real thing, the Leafs wouldn’t be getting many of those due to the previously mentioned fact that they don’t take many penalties.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Only thing I can think of is the fact that our players don't dive or try to milk calls out of refs. Kadri used to flop around to draw penalties but he's grown out of it over the past few years. Teams also are smart enough to realise that they shouldn't be handing the Leafs PP opportunities for nothing and tend to be more careful to not take unnecessary penalties.
Or they're not calling them!

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
They have the 3rd least penalties against over the last 2 seasons as well. I guess they just play a clean, steady game for AND against.

Same thing goes for Edmonton I guess, they are tied with leafs for the least power play opportunities since the start of last season. McDavid is too fast, and teams don't want to let him on the power play.

And honestly, the difference from last place in PP opportunities to 15th (middle of the pack) since the start of last season, is only like 37 powerplays. Nothing really significant.

Reactions: glovesave_35

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
No conspiracy.

We are also one of the least penalized teams as well. Surely there’s a correlation there.

Also, if you believe makeup calls are a real thing, the Leafs wouldn’t be getting many of those due to the previously mentioned fact that they don’t take many penalties.

/thread

Reactions: gtrower

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Team full of Perimeter players, plus i believe Kadri doesnt have a good rep so he will never get the benefit of the doubt

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Take the fall. Act hurt. Get indignant!
No integrity in that,but in the words of Patrick Roy..'if you're not cheating ,you're not trying' . I'm thikling it's a combination of things. Shanny could lobby the league about it,if he had actual data/proof they were getting jobbed.
The timing of the penalties is important. If one team gets a few early and takes the lead,the other team has to adjust their game to even it up.
Anyway,I don't expect it to change,although some games are very poorly officiated.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
At HOME over the last two seasons.

1. Nashville - 212 opportunities
2. Tampa Bay - 202 opportunities
5. Winnipeg - 192 opportunities
8. Boston - 190 opportunities
10. Pittsburgh - 188 opportunities
12. Washington - 182 opportunities
30. Toronto - 161 opportunities

It seems like one of these are not like the other to me.

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
At HOME over the last two seasons.

1. Nashville - 212 opportunities
2. Tampa Bay - 202 opportunities
5. Winnipeg - 192 opportunities
8. Boston - 190 opportunities
10. Pittsburgh - 188 opportunities
12. Washington - 182 opportunities
30. Toronto - 161 opportunities

It seems like one of these are not like the other to me.

Refs really seem to put away their whistles in the Leafs arena unless it's really egregious. You can really see a dynamic shift in reffing when they're at home versus when they're away.

That being said, I don't think it's some conspiracy, just completely inconsistent reffing.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
And I'll even say that skill favors games with more penalties over less, so skillful teams that play in games with more penalties in them do still reap an advantage, even if their pp:pk ratio is the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad