TSN: Leafs' Connolly placed on waivers - McKenzie: Cleared waivers.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
He could still get traded.

Maybe but why would a team trade for him if they could have gotten him for free via waivers? Sure we can hold some salary back but that's less of an issue as the season goes on.

I think he's going to stay in the organization for the remainder of the year.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
We cannot use an Amnesity buyout on players who become FA's this year, so there will be no "wasting" done.

Buyout for him is stupid, as we will be relieved of the cap in a couple months. Just let him play in the AHL.

As it was often repeated, it's not only stupid, it's impossible.

The buy-out period was last June.

Great to see that you are aware that this can't be an accelerated compliance/amnesty buy out.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
His cap hit wouldn't come off our cap, and it isn't an amnesty buyout anyway. I'm not sure we can even do a buyout at this time of year. Anyway, with Aucoin gone, the Marlies could use a C, I imagine that Connolly and Frattin could make an interesting pairing in the AHL.

Yup, the Marlies technically got an upgrade here. I'm quite pumped that we can keep Connolly.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Maybe but why would a team trade for him if they could have gotten him for free via waivers? Sure we can hold some salary back but that's less of an issue as the season goes on.

They would trade for him because they can get him for half the money. Money strapped teams like NYI and such would not mind selling a 3rd/4th for a couple million if they really needed a player.

I wouldn't mind if he stays, due to the reasons you mentioned. So happy the stupid re-entry waived got booted.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008

Great to see that you are aware that this can't be an accelerated compliance/amnesty buy out.

Keep up the good fight. ;)

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way

Pardon my ignorance then :P

Can buyouts only happen during the offseason then?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Well, you have to admit, if someone sent them this link, it would be an easy mistake to make:

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8467878

No, it's not an easy mistake to make.

Clicking that link, I'd look for at least one paragraph, one team quote: NYI have claim Tim Connolly off waivers.

If a team has the time to supposedly post a players stats, then they should have time for a 1 line announcement.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Under the old CBA, from the later of 2 days after the Cup Finals or June 15 till June 30.

That gave a chance to the bought out player to participate in the July 1st FA derby.

I don't expect that things will be differently with the new CBA.

Exception: Under the old CBA, teams had 48 hours after an arbitration decision to decide to reject the said decision and allow the player to be a FA (for players receiving $1M+).

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

Typically yes, but the NHL-NHLPA agreed to "accelerated" buyouts to allow teams to buyout players like Redden/Gomez right now instead of waiting until the summer.

It won't be available for teams during the season in future years. It's only for this year.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
you can only buy out guys with 2 yrs or more left (until June
gomez redden etc (and komi ;)

There would be little point. This year's money would count against the cap. Anyone doing an amnesty buyout would only be saving money on next years cap hit. The buyout in fact occurs in June. They have only accelerated the buyout timetable so players like Redden and Gomez have a chance of getting on with their careers. This year's paycheck, that they have cut those two, will count against the cap. Next year's paycheck will not count against the cap.

Hope that helps. If not ... its the best I could do.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

Lots of teams have a budget, I heard Don Maloney say he couldn't have made the Lombardi deal without the Leafs retaining salary.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
abbott connolly hamiton
d'amigo colborne ashton
deschamps zigamonis scott

whatever marlies are still strong

Frattin?

He's been sent down too. I think he still needs a bit more time after the injury plus if he played 3 more NHL games, he couldn't be sent down freely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad