TSN: Leafs' Connolly placed on waivers - McKenzie: Cleared waivers.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I kind of feel bad for the guy. Yea things didn't work out here, but its not the message I would want to send to free agents. But at the same time, I'm glad that someone else is getting a chance because he wasn't providing quality minutes and points.

Also, I was fully expecting him to not report to the Marlies. Good move on his part.

Why leave $4M on the table...?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
The Rangers completely disprove this thought.

They ended Drury's career after signing him to a massive deal then assigning him the AHL. They came to within a hair of ending Reddens. Yet they've acquired their entire first line in the process (Nash-Richards-Gaborik).

Drury never played a single game in the minors in his career.

They bought him off.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
On the off chance any upcoming free agents are reading this thread, please ignore the fact that our recents signings have been bought out, waived or assigned to the press box.
It'll be different for you. Honest.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
On the off chance any upcoming free agents are reading this thread, please ignore the fact that our recents signings have been bought out, waived or assigned to the press box.

Nobody ever thinks it will happen to them. No worries.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

It may be on some player who are struggling mind

Evileye

Jul 20, 2002
Visit site
There is a lesson here for the players - sign a 'reasonable' contract instead of squeezing every last dollar and you won't be in the situation Connolly and others are in. He's good enough for NHL, but not worth his cap hit, so to the minors you go.
Who am I kidding? - they don't care they just want the money.
If they're bought out, someone else will give them a lower contract to play in the NHL plus the buyout, so they still get all their original money.

Defense

Oct 27, 2009
Has Connolly been interviewed since being sent down? Wonder if he is pissed... He won't be back after this summer. But no problem with that

Deezzy22

Jan 3, 2013
So you think they should have kept Connolly and Lombardi?

Definitely not Lombardi but Connolly i thought could be a really good PK guy with above average stick handling skills and i thought he could have bounced back this year.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Definitely not Lombardi but Connolly i thought could be a really good PK guy with above average stick handling skills and i thought he could have bounced back this year.

He is way too good for the AHL. I'm surprised there were no takers for a guy on a 1 year contract who is not only highly skilled and looking to rebound but also good defensively and capable of killing penalties. I'm honestly surprised we waived him in the first place, seems rather unnecessary. Lombardi and Armstrong were terrible last season -- Connolly just failed to excel given limited minutes on the PP, where historically he accumulates the vast majority of his points. I would have rather carried him as a healthy scratch and tried him at wing at some point.

thepatient

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
why not put him on re-entry waivers? I'm sure someone would take him at 2.5 (or whatever it would be). It would beat paying him 4 mil to play on the marlies

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
Re-entry waivers don't apply in the new CBA.

Which is a good thing because IF a team like Detroit or Philly realize they need help, Leafs can trade Connolly without having to see if he passes thru recallable waivers at half price (which teams had to do last year).
Let's hope Connolly lights it up with the Marlies and at some point, some team will give a pick for him.....the closer we get to the trade deadline, the higher the return could be.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Yet guys like B. Richards didn't feel it was worth the risk, and he got himself a NMC until he's 40.

NMC means he can't go to the minors which I'm sure was a big part of the deal. I'm also sure Sather had a good idea he wouldn't he able to benefit from the minors in this fashion with Richards

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Has Connolly been interviewed since being sent down? Wonder if he is pissed... He won't be back after this summer. But no problem with that
He was interviewed after his first. He basically said he wasnt in game shape and this ahl stint is not such a bad thing then. I bet he'll be moved fairly quick once some teams expected to perform well start struggling.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Nonis will yank a second off some team while paying some salary.

Timmah isnt that bad. I didn't mind him last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad