Leafs Chances of Making Playoffs (Reddit User)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Big Swede13

Sep 2, 2019
They definitely will need a long winning streak at some point this year. Are they capable of it? Yes of course if they play to their ability which we havent seen for almost a full calendar year

Reactions: hullsy47

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
It's not early though. They have been bad for the entirety of 2019 before and after changes made to the roster and coaching staff.

The players don't seem to like Babcock.

At this point, I don't care if they make the playoffs or not. I want Babcock gone. He's not the right coach for this team. He wants to try to win 2-1 hockey games but always ends up being the team that scores the one goal.
Yes I agree the team and coach not on same page. A lot easier to change coach then make up of team.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I think Matthews and Nylander have done a pretty good job on their end. There is another gear for both of them, but Nylander is playing like a 7 mill player and Matthews is at least playing like a guy who would be making over 10 mill, if not over 11.

Problem is Marner has never looked like an 11 mill player, and most of the time he's looking like a 4 mill player.

Considering how much money they make and considering how they went about heir negotiations (the three kids), they get the praise or blame for how the Leafs go. They’re required to carry this team on their back because they didn’t leave any money for the rest of the roster. If the Leafs lose, it’s on them. If they win, it’s because of them.

And there’s no middle ground for me. It’s cup or bust. No cup means you didn’t earn your contract. No cup means failure. Because if they fall short, I’ll always wonder what help they could’ve gotten if they took less. Fix that- I probably won’t even care by then, since I find myself caring less and less even now.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I find my Leaf thoughts drifting more and more to next season. I've already said too much for my liking. Not eliminated until they're eliminated though, situation looking as it does.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
11-lafreniere,-alexis-(9).jpg

This guy looks 18 and 38 simultaneously

Resistance

Nov 10, 2019
I guess everyone’s fancy analytics from games 10-15 arent coming to fruition? Who would have thought that the eye test was telling us all the truth. This team is an unmitigated diasaster.

Top corsi team in the Atlantic, lol. Corsi is soooooooooooo important.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If Babcock is fired before December we make the playoffs. If not we finish bottom 5 and this will go down as the most embarrassing season of all time in maple leafs history.

Reactions: Wrong Wilson

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
I always joke that just when you think you've seen it all, this team finds a new way to break your heart.

So I probably should've seen something like this coming, but I didn't. After all those years of quick fixes and bandaid solutions, it seemed they finally tried to do it right.

They fired everyone from the old regime, committed to a rebuild, hired a superstar head coach, got lucky with the ping pong balls, drafted a generational level 1C (long the missing piece), kept their high picks and seemed to hit on all of them, established a culture that emphasized player development, brought in a GM who seemed to get it (valuing high end skill), stocked the front office with cap wizards, and finally looked like they were becoming the kind of annual contender we all hoped for, just needing to get over the hump of the Bruins.

So to see them fall so spectacularly, it's heartbreaking.

Maybe they flip a switch when Babcock gets fired (a matter of "when" now, not "if"). But what if they don't? They're so locked into this core, which is showing itself to be rotten, overpaid and underachieving. They can make changes, but then do we need to wait for that group to get it together, find the right mix, that takes time. And with so much of the cap tied up in a few guys, there will always be major surgery being done to the roster--will we ever be able to expect continuity?

And in the meantime we have to figure out how to extend Rielly, replace Andersen, rebuild the defense. By the time they figure it out, Matthews, Marner could be into their late 20s and looking to cash in again.

Man. It wasn't supposed to be like this.
This! All of this! Add to it that players were just starting to want to come here again......now will they? Look at barrie, completely ruining his next contract. So unbelievably disappointing.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
If Babcock is fired before December we make the playoffs. If not we finish bottom 5 and this will go down as the most embarrassing season of all time in maple leafs history.
Your wish is reality

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Even with back to back wins the standings are not looking good. 8 teams all in close contention for two wild card spots. A 2 game win streak here or there and leafs could be at the bottom of the East just above Detroit, who are the only team definitely eliminated in all likelihood at this point. The next 5 games among these teams and the leafs performance over that span will be absolutely crucial. Good news is their schedule looks good now for a bit

AndyWozniewski

Jan 18, 2017
F Babcock for wasting a quarter of our season. And F Dubas and shanny for taking so long to fire him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad