GDT: Leafs @ Caps - Looking for the silver lining - 05.02.2012 - 7 PM - LEAFS TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Maybe we can trade Kessel for Ovie, I would be willing to take a chance on him rediscovering his form with a new team.

He's not emotionally there with Washington since Boudreau tried to reign him in 2 years ago. He's playing with little passion now, what he needs is a change of scenary. An emotional change that will bring intensity and passion back to his game.

Ovechkin even at 9.5M is worth more than Kessel.

He's a Burke type player.

I don't think the Caps have any problem paying Ovechkin an albatross salary because he puts butts in the seats in Washington.

An Ovie trade is very complicated.

If the Caps held on to 2.5M of his salary, he's suddenly worth a lot more. 7M Ovie...that scores at about PPG on a fresh team? Who wouldn't be in on the sweepstakes?

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
We need a big shot from the point on our PP. That'll keep the other team honest since you'll have threats both down low (Kessel) and up high. Right now, they are just double teaming Kessel, knowing full well that no one else will shoot/can shoot worth a ****. Even if the dmen moved around a bit, they might have been able to get some shooting lanes to throw it at the net, letting the forwards crash the net. They hardly move, and make it way too easy for the PKers to box em out.

For the timebeing, I think a good shot (not necessarily a big/heavy shot) on the back door/right point would be greatly beneficial. How many times have we seen Kostka absolutely waste great passes from Kessel and Dion? Maybe if we put in Frattin there it might work.

The fact that Carlyle hasn't done much to change up the PP personnel/strategy is a little frustrating.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
We need a big shot from the point on our PP. That'll keep the other team honest since you'll have threats both down low (Kessel) and up high. Right now, they are just double teaming Kessel, knowing full well that no one else will shoot/can shoot worth a ****. Even if the dmen moved around a bit, they might have been able to get some shooting lanes to throw it at the net, letting the forwards crash the net. They hardly move, and make it way too easy for the PKers to box em out.

For the timebeing, I think a good shot (not necessarily a big/heavy shot) on the back door/right point would be greatly beneficial. How many times have we seen Kostka absolutely waste great passes from Kessel and Dion? Maybe if we put in Frattin there it might work.

The fact that Carlyle hasn't done much to change up the PP personnel/strategy is a little frustrating.

You mean Dion isn't accurate enough? :sarcasm:

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Ovechkin even at 9.5M is worth more than Kessel.

He's a Burke type player.

I don't think the Caps have any problem paying Ovechkin an albatross salary because he puts butts in the seats in Washington.

An Ovie trade is very complicated.

If the Caps held on to 2.5M of his salary, he's suddenly worth a lot more. 7M Ovie...that scores at about PPG on a fresh team? Who wouldn't be in on the sweepstakes?

Hard for Ovechkin to put butts in the seats when he's not scoring and the teams not winning.

Chandrashekhar Limit

Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
I wonder if Dion switching sides has been the major cause of his offensive absence?

Didn't he switch over to his natural side this year? I really wish we had some other NHL caliber D. I think the intense workload is bringing down his overall effectiveness. He's still been our best D by far though. People hating on him are just picking at every mistake he makes and using it as their evidence.

It's like finding a little hole in a garment and then tearing it 10 times bigger.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I wonder if Dion switching sides has been the major cause of his offensive absence?

I dont think it is. On the PP he positions himself wherever he wants. Center, center right, center left. I think that over the years Dion's shot accuracy has drastically gotten worse. He simply can not hit the net, more times than not. His shot is a bomb, but the last 3 years its anyone's guess where its going.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Didn't he switch over to his natural side this year? I really wish we had some other NHL caliber D. I think the intense workload is bringing down his overall effectiveness. He's still been our best D by far though. People hating on him are just picking at every mistake he makes and using it as their evidence.

It's like finding a little hole in a garment and then tearing it 10 times bigger.
We really are lacking defensemen who can play at a high level aside from him. It's definitely taken a toll. I think it's his natural position but he was adjusted to the right side for the last few years so it might be taking a toll on him. Not to mention the guy has been playing with several players, switching constantly, no stable pairing.

Pretty much and it's frustrating to see.
A lot of his points come on the PP and our PP has been terribad.
Well that and in general our defense hasn't been in the rush at all.

SteveV*

If Carlyle starts the two useless goons on the fourth line again we deserve to lose, they were HORRIBLE last night.

Chandrashekhar Limit

Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
If Carlyle starts the two useless goons on the fourth line again we deserve to lose, they were HORRIBLE last night.

21 scouts at Leafs game, Kostka still on the PP after 10 games, Fraser/Holzer over Gardiner and the two useless goons over some people who can actually skate.

Maybe Carlyle/Nonis are the real tank commanders :laugh:

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
If you guys come out like you do in the 1st last night. You will put a TD on us. I have to say I enjoyed watching such a high effort game last night.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
21 scouts at Leafs game, Kostka still on the PP after 10 games, Fraser/Holzer over Gardiner and the two useless goons over some people who can actually skate.

Maybe Carlyle/Nonis are the real tank commanders :laugh:

Its funny to read that stuff over here. Every time I see you guys play I wish the Caps would skate and play that hard.

The sad truth is I don't think its our coaching as much as a poor makeup of the team. Its to the point I would almost let Burke blow it up. As long as he did not move any of kids (Kuznetsov, Forsberg, Wilson and Orlov)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad