Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Capitals 7 PM Tuesday TSN4

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Rosen's last game we saw him he was playing his offside, its not fair to judge a guy on that in his 2nd or 3rd game on NA ice!. Borgy has been better overall but I guess they want to see what they have with rosen and give borgy a breather

This. A lot of people don't appreciate how difficult it is to play off wing when you are D, especially when you are already a rookie coming from Europe.

Rosen will make his shares of mistakes like Gardiner does every game. Except there's a chance Rosen will learn from his. I like this rotation, it eases players into the games.

They get to observe, learn and apply. This way they are not totally overwhelm

To be honest though, I would have love to see Borgy nail Wilson and Ovie

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
eh I hope he decides the lineup based on who matches up best against the opposition rather than what game it is

ok sure, outside of 2 big hits Borgman really hasn't been that physical anyway he has been the better skater at both ends sure but his physicality has been overrated to begin the season. Now I think he will be a very good physical dman in the future.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
ok sure, outside of 2 big hits Borgman really hasn't been that physical anyway he has been the better skater at both ends sure but his physicality has been overrated to begin the season. Now I think he will be a very good physical dman in the future.
true he's no prime Scott Stevens, but he also doesn't crumble under physical pressure like Rosen seems to

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Has anyone seen the picture on TSN about the power rankings? The habs fans face right over Nylanders Shoulder is priceless
auston-matthews-william-nylander.jpg

#CaptionThis!

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
true he's no prime Scott Stevens, but he also doesn't crumble under physical pressure like Rosen seems to

im not sure Rosen has crumbled under pressure so far, I haven't been watching close enough I guess. He had a few misplays that weren't really because of physical pressure and are rookie mistakes.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
im not sure Rosen has crumbled under pressure so far, I haven't been watching close enough I guess. He had a few misplays that weren't really because of physical pressure and are rookie mistakes.
well I guess we'll see tomorrow but I don't have high hopes for him

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Always a tuff game against such a talented offense group but they can be had! Goalie performance will likely determine the winner.

After reflecting on the line changes, I'm now firmly on board! In Washington we can't dictate matchups. Brown is more than capable top 9 and a better d zone player that marner at this point. I would expect to see Washington try to capitalize on the 3rd line and hopefully brown can help minimize this.

I hope this is more evidence of Babcock's genious, I did say hoping:)

I would prefer to see Borgman and Carrick. More team toughness is needed against the strong Caps forwards and Wilson cant run amuck!

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He's hardly played on N/A yet, the kid needs some time, he's going to have some growing pains
I mean, in the long run I think he'll be a good player because i'm a big fan of his skating and shot. I don't think he'll do well against such a heavy and skilled team at this point in his career though

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
Really not sure what's up with all the hate for Tom Wilson. The kid is an animal who can actually play hockey and plays on the edge. He's exactly the type of player any team should want.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Really not sure what's up with all the hate for Tom Wilson. The kid is an animal who can actually play hockey and plays on the edge. He's exactly the type of player any team should want.
He can actually play? He should show it some more then, because as is, he's been given tons of opportunity, and he's generally made his lines worse. He's a fourth line energy guy.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He can actually play? He should show it some more then, because as is, he's been given tons of opportunity, and he's generally made his lines worse. He's a fourth line energy guy.
yeah his team gives up more shots and goals when he's on the ice. I don't think he actually scares anyone, they just light him up. He's too worried about going for the hit than playing hockey and nobody is afraid of him at the NHL level

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
yeah his team gives up more shots and goals when he's on the ice. I don't think he actually scares anyone, they just light him up. He's too worried about going for the hit than playing hockey and nobody is afraid of him at the NHL level
Most team's fourth lines give up more shots and goals than their other lines when they're on the ice.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Have not really read any posts here but, saw a clip of Wilson. Wilson for me is a dirty player, and I think that Martin should set the tone early with him. I remember in the playoffs a couple times he tried running our stars. This game has the feel of redemption. I hope to see the leafs hungry. They have not been the last 2 games. Better defensively against Montreal? Maybe bit only a bit. Andersen is the reason that game went to OT. He has been pretty bad to start as well, but I am hoping how he played in the 3rd period on Saturday woke him up.

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
so he's an average 4th liner by your logic

Depends how you're building your team, obviously Washington doesn't have any issues with their scoring and he does what he needs to do well; on a team built like the Leafs with a fourth line with Moore and Brown he wouldn't be as important, ex: how a lot of people on here feel about Martin being in over Kapanen/Sosh/Etc.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Also to the poster that it does not help having Martin as a policeman, and no one is afraid of him. I challenge you with this question; why do you think the leafs young guys were so healthy last year? Besides some luck, and their hockey IQ I think Martin played a role in that. Not sure if you realize how big he really is, 6foot4 (off skates) 225lbs, (no equipment) so 6foot6 ish and maybe 235ish with everything. In addition I challenge you to find when the last time was the leafs had a fourth line like this. The Colton Orr days, that line had no chance of scoring. This one does. Finally and most importantly, everyone has a role to play on the team. Martin does his well. In fact against Montreal he made several nice plays, keeping it alive in the offensive zone, and played hard on the boards defensively. He finished with an even plus/minus as well. I think they are just fine.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
In addition, this game will be a good statement game. We should really want this, as they kicked us out last year (more so than usual). Also if we play like we have the last 2 games defensively (MTL was better but still not good), we are going to get routed with Ovi, Kuzy, Backstrom on absolute fire. Oddly though, we seem to play better against good team, so far this year we played our most dominant game against the Blackhawks (go figure). In any case this will be a good test for us. If the boys have been listening to Mike, and put into the game what he has been preaching I think we win it. If they do not work hard, continue their bad neutral zone passes it will get ugly fast.

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
Also to the poster that it does not help having Martin as a policeman, and no one is afraid of him. I challenge you with this question; why do you think the leafs young guys were so healthy last year? Besides some luck, and their hockey IQ I think Martin played a role in that. Not sure if you realize how big he really is, 6foot4 (off skates) 225lbs, (no equipment) so 6foot6 ish and maybe 235ish with everything. In addition I challenge you to find when the last time was the leafs had a fourth line like this. The Colton Orr days, that line had no chance of scoring. This one does. Finally and most importantly, everyone has a role to play on the team. Martin does his well. In fact against Montreal he made several nice plays, keeping it alive in the offensive zone, and played hard on the boards defensively. He finished with an even plus/minus as well. I think they are just fine.

Wasn't really where I was going with that, the point was just that Wilson does his role equally as well and adds slightly more scoring, he's a valuable player. Martin is in his role as well; my point was just that it's unreasonable to think that Wilson, or Martin, or players like them are useless because they play a specific role... which sometimes results in being dirty.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
First off Martin is not a dirty player. Wilson has been his whole career. He goes for the knees all the time, and runs the big stars. Martin doesnt do that at all. Also I do agree Wilson has more offense, but he just has a higher skill in that aspect. I think our 4th line is fine though. My issue with it is the carousel of Fehr/Moore, it has to end soon. You need to develop chemistry, a sense of where your guy will be, knowing your line-mates tendencies. As for right now, that cannot happen because they are in a game, out a game, even with Borgman and Rosen same problem. To be frank, if Rosen looks that bad again, they have to send him down, Borgman has by far looked better, and I am a bit surprised he is being given this much rope. I like Rosen, I think he will be good, but I think he handles pressure really bad. He rushes, makes a dumb play, instead of taking some time and waiting for support, Borgman is far better at that. But anyway, I just hope we come out guns firing, after being kicked out by them, anything less I would be considering as pathetic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad