Proposal: Leafs/Canucks

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
If the Leafs add their 2019 1st Id do it

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Makes no sense. We can't even fit in Suter's cap hit for free.

He might be an average #3C on a good team, with some retention. Just not ours, its idiotic cap management.

Brown/Grundstrom/Leivo all have years of control, for 1 year of control (Virtanen). It's a very lopsided trade, given Brown, alone, is already more productive at the NHL level.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Imagine not winning a playoff game in 14 years and still having this much attitude.
they've won 8 playoff games in 14 years, which is equivalent to two playoff series. if only the won all 8 games in the same year though

Reactions: nucks88

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
Wtf do we need sutter for?? And lol at including Grundstrom for him or virtanen.. Guy is going to be on Matthews line after Marleau retires wtf needs Virtanen

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Nobody wants your bust and overpaid 3rd line center. Enjoy another season in the basement.
Dam Im jealous of your recent playoff success as the series victories are WAY more than my Canucks team has had! RAAAAAGEEEE :biglaugh:

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Brown > Sutter (and signed for less)
Grundstrom >/= Virtanen

Makes no sense from the Leafs POV unless they were really high on Virtanen, but nobody should be high on him at this point.

I'd do the OP as a Canucks fan, and I have nothing but the highest expectations from Virtanen.

As for the excitement surround Grundstrom, yes he could be a top six player, but were we not saying the same thing about Kapanen and even Gauthier not too long ago? Not to rag on someone I hope pans out, but being your top prospect doesn't guarantee anything, we know that in Vancouver all too well.

Nobody ever said Gauthier would be anything more than a 3C and that quickly changed into a 4C maybe.

Kapanen is stuck behind Marner and Nylander. He won't really ever get to prove himself a top six winger until he's moved elsewhere or significant injuries occur. He's still pretty much only been deployed as a bottom six winger that PKs.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Kapanen could still very well end up a top 6 winger in the future. Regarding the Goat, he was viewed by most to have a ceiling of 3rd line C but would likely settle in as 4th line C. I still expect him to carve out a career as a 4th line NHLer.

Grundstrom has the sandpaper in his game that the Leafs lack and that is one of the reasons he is viewed as a top prospect in the system. Most of us expect him to be a player but hard to gauge right now if that’s top 6 or bottom 6.

I don't think any Leaf fan thought GOAT would be a top 6 center.. Maybe the year after the draft talking about his absolute MAX ceiling. Most of us know he is a 4th line C for years now. We all thought he would be a good 3rd line C.

Kapanen is not a bust so not sure what you are saying? He is a top 6 winger just on the deepest RW in the league. Leafs are loaded at forward man I don't know why people keep thinking they are bad. There are some really good players in the league who couldn't crack our top 6.

I didn't want to make it seem like I was unfairly ragging on either comparison, I'm just not one to count chickens before they hatch. Grit is fantastic, that's how we think of Virtanen as well, although he is a little further along then Kap or Goat, and I do value Grundstrom and his potential and skillset, but I heard from some Leafs fans that Gauthier could or would be a top six center, and while Kap has a long way to go before he stops developing, counting him as a top six RW, depth or no, hasn't been proven.

It's the same thing with a certain team and Gagner and Cogliano where a small, and probably disproportionately vocal sect of fans of a team valued them as being their absolute best case scenario ceiling, then when reality struck, they changed the narrative. We did it with Hodgson too (we wrecked his projected development, our bad) and are doing it with Virtanen.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Honestly if the canucks were in a tight cap situation i would do it but i rather just roll the dice on virtanen as he has the highest ceiling out of everyone in the trade plus sutter is a very good 3c he is just overpaid by 500k

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Imagine not winning a playoff game in 14 years and still having this much attitude.
Your 'burn' doesn't even make sense. I'm assuming you mean series, right?
But by all means, be smug about your 3 playoff games won in the last 7 seasons :laugh:

Reactions: BillDerlago

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I would actually rather hang on to Virtanen to see what he can do this year. He looked decent at the end of last season. It would be silly to give up on him now.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Your 'burn' doesn't even make sense. I'm assuming you mean series, right?
But by all means, be smug about your 3 playoff games won in the last 7 seasons :laugh:

Same amount of series the Leafs have won .. its like youre bragging about dick size as a 12 year old going through puberty. Both losers.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
This trade proposal is kind of like a poor man's version of trading Tavares+Marner+Matthews for JvR+Bozak.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Could be about the worse trade proposal in a while. Sutter is 4.3m 4th line centre on the Leafs. Virtanen is 5th line RWer. Brown is NHL winger and Grundstrom looks like a NHLer right now.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Don't want Sutter, don't want Virtanen.

Like Brown, Grundstrom is a solid prospect we can likely fill in for cheap in a year or so. I'm high on leivo

So very very easy pass?

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
No thanks. Virtanen will have a breakout year this year. I’d happily do something around Sutter retained for Grundstrom though. Not sure why Toronto needs Sutter tho...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad