Proposal: Leafs & Canucks

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I remember back when a lot of Leafs fans said things along the lines of "It'll take a really great offer we haven't seen yet to trade JVR" back when JVR was probably the most posted player on this forum with 2-3 years left on his contract, and we wanted a lot for him. Now maybe management never wanted to trade JVR IDK but the Tanev talk brings back memories.

When you take that stance, and never get that offer the player eventually becomes UFA. Hopefully yours will resign with you, and not just walk for nothing(we couldn't afford to keep JVR).

Had a lot of Habs fans back in the fall of 2015 ok with 2016 1st, Juulsen and De La Rose for JVR. Offered it wanting a shot at Sergachev, which they then went down the toilet and picked him 9th overall. You never know what was actually on the table in real life, but sometimes looking back you and perhaps think, maybe we should have pulled that trigger in hindsight. That's not to say Vancouver has to trade him now, but if that great offer never comes are you happy with letting him walk or paying him UFA money?

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I remember back when a lot of Leafs fans said things along the lines of "It'll take a really great offer we haven't seen yet to trade JVR" back when JVR was probably the most posted player on this forum with 2-3 years left on his contract, and we wanted a lot for him. Now maybe management never wanted to trade JVR IDK but the Tanev talk brings back memories.

When you take that stance, and never get that offer the player eventually becomes UFA. Hopefully yours will resign with you, and not just walk for nothing(we couldn't afford to keep JVR).

Had a lot of Habs fans back in the fall of 2015 ok with 2016 1st, Juulsen and De La Rose for JVR. Offered it wanting a shot at Sergachev, which they then went down the toilet and picked him 9th overall. You never know what was actually on the table in real life, but sometimes looking back you and perhaps think, maybe we should have pulled that trigger in hindsight. That's not to say Vancouver has to trade him now, but if that great offer never comes are you happy with letting him walk or paying him UFA money?

YES- I, for one, am!

He is signed for two more years, the perfect amount of time for him to help bring along Hughes and Juolevi. We Need him, for now. But, of course, even I would be willing to move him for the right offer (I am just really reluctant to do so, because these young guys need to learn from and be insulated by a player just liked him- hard to find such a guy)!

And then, if necessary the Canucks can accept a not so great offer at the deadline in 2 years if he isn't likely to resign OR they let him walk at the end of that season. There is huge value in this for the Canucks.

So, unless a great deal comes along now, I would most certainly not move him anywhere !!

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
Haven't the Canucks made enough mistakes waiting for the "special offer" ask Mike Gillis when the special offer comes in for Luongo!
As stated by JadedLeaf we don't want him because of his injury history

Luongo wanted to be traded. Tanev is happy staying with the Canucks and there is no reason he couldn't be part of the future even after his contract expires.

Based on Bennings free agent signings he obviously doesn't mind having vets in the line up.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
YES- I, for one, am!

He is signed for two more years, the perfect amount of time for him to help bring along Hughes and Juolevi. We Need him, for now. But, of course, even I would be willing to move him for the right offer (I am just really reluctant to do so, because these young guys need to learn from and be insulated by a player just liked him- hard to find such a guy)!

And then, if necessary the Canucks can accept a not so great offer at the deadline in 2 years if he isn't likely to resign OR they let him walk at the end of that season. There is huge value in this for the Canucks.

So, unless a great deal comes along now, I would most certainly not move him anywhere !!

Exactly, Tanevs value is at an all time low and we have 2 years to trade him if we want to.

LBCANUCK

Jun 26, 2012
without creating a new Tanev thread, would Toronto be open to Liljegren + conditional 1st (if Tanev doesn't play in more than 60 games it turns into a 2nd)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
without creating a new Tanev thread, would Toronto be open to Liljegren + conditional 1st (if Tanev doesn't play in more than 60 games it turns into a 2nd)

No.

I appreciate the need for Vancouver to want to get a defense prospect for the top pairing defenceman they're trading. But really the Leafs need A defenceman now(Tanev) and to keep their future D hole fillers in Liljegren and Dermott, and possibly Sandin. If the deal looks like 1st + prospect, you'll be hard pressed to get a D prospect.

I'd be more comfortable with taking the condition off of the pick, guarantee the 1st and see what non D assets can be added. But the cool HF trend lately is to say every forward prospect Toronto has who haven't made the NHL yet is terrible and worthless so I'm not sure how far that goes. It's been a road to nowhere for probably a year now.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Dermott's not getting moved.

Zaitsev isn't getting moved either. Management made it clear that his season was ruined by both a concussion and a broken foot.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I'd offer a 1st + whatever assets a Gardiner trade could fetch. If that isn't enough I walk away.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

No. He's not worth anything of serious value. All of our high end prospects and picks would be off the table. If the Leafs were willing to offer that sort of deal for someone like Tanev, we would have a defenseman by now.

I do not know what Tanev is worth to the Canucks, but I doubt it's going to match with how Dubas is going to value him. Two years ago, a deal was a lot more likely because Tanev was a lot better. Now, with significantly more injuries and advanced numbers which are no where near as good as they were, it's tough justifying giving up anything of value for him. If you got Connor Brown, a B prospect like Andrew Nielsen and a heavily conditional pick from us, then I would say the Canucks did a pretty good job negotiating a return from the Leafs at this point.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd offer a 1st + whatever assets a Gardiner trade could fetch. If that isn't enough I walk away.

The Leafs probably wouldn't even offer the assets Gardiner would fetch in a trade, never mind another 1st.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
No. He's not worth anything of serious value. All of our high end prospects and picks would be off the table. If the Leafs were willing to offer that sort of deal for someone like Tanev, we would have a defenseman by now.

I do not know what Tanev is worth to the Canucks, but I doubt it's going to match with how Dubas is going to value him. Two years ago, a deal was a lot more likely because Tanev was a lot better. Now, with significantly more injuries and advanced numbers which are no where near as good as they were, it's tough justifying giving up anything of value for him. If you got Connor Brown, a B prospect like Andrew Nielsen and a heavily conditional pick from us, then I would say the Canucks did a pretty good job negotiating a return from the Leafs at this point.

The only thing that makes him worse is that he has been injured. If he was going to be traded for scraps like connor brown and a b prospect he would be a leaf already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad