Proposal: Leafs & Canucks

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I was speaking about all of Leaf fans who speculated on the value of Tanev. Yes, we all have different biases an example of that is being a fan. A fan by definition, is a bias towards one thing, in our case the hockey team we support. However, on this board we speculate, not only Leaf fans, but fans of all teams. It would be a lot quieter place here if only those who actually represent the teams or who actually know definitely what the fair value of a player, any player is.

Secondly, even among Leaf fans, there is a wide variety of views of what fair value is. When we include fans of the Canucks and other NHL teams that gap widens farther. The bias doesn't change though.

This is part of what makes hockey's future fun to be on. While it is true some posters have let their emotions get the better of them. Overall it is a great place to chat and argue and speculate on a players value. Your Sanctimonious post doesn't change that for me.

I think Tanev is a good player.

If you are saying that fans tend to have biases and that we are here to discuss ideas and trade proposals, then obviously I agree. The point that I was making is that all of us have opinions, but we can't really say "the Leafs will do this or that" because that is well outside of anything we can control. Yet, some people do anyways (cough).

Other points that fall into the realm of the obvious is that defenders tend to be in low supply and high demand, and even more so for a RHD. Discussions, opinions and trade proposals that don't recognize that just don't align to the reality of the marketplace and we can expect that those that make them will get called out.

Not sure what more I can offer on this specific subject, so its probably time to move on. I will say a few things about what might be the current strategy of Leafs management that I do find more interesting.

If Leaf management in fact doesn't want to move decent assets (players, prospects) for a defender which I suppose is possible, then I would think that leaves 2 potential strategies that they will undertake: a) They will sign an older UFA vet like they did with Hainsey. b) They will continue to develop their young defenders and will wait for those prospects to graduate. If such is the case, then these vets are temporary placeholders and will ultimately be replaced by our prospects.

BTW, if the above is in fact their strategy, that would be fine by me. I tend to think drafting (& developing) is the main, primary and most important tool in the tool-kit.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
There are much better and less risky options for the Leafs to look at then a broken down Chris Tanev.

If there are a bunch of better alternatives, why hasn't a trade been made for one of those better alternatives? Seems like this is the question that should be asked if we accept that premise ......

One answer would have to be that we aren't even trying to make a trade for a defender i.e., we don't think we need one. That is one logical explanation.

Maybe someone else can come up with another valid explanation? Are there other suggestions on why this hasn't happened yet?

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
If there are a bunch of better alternatives, why hasn't a trade been made for one of those better alternatives? Seems like this is the question that should be asked if we accept that premise ......

One answer would have to be that we aren't even trying to make a trade for a defender i.e., we don't think we need one. That is one logical explanation.

Maybe someone else can come up with another valid explanation? Are there other suggestions on why this hasn't happened yet?

Great point kill this thread with fire....

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

Perhaps from the Canucks or Leafs or both's perspective the better alternative is not to trade.

Reactions: nucks88

Mar 26, 2010
No way I have Dermott in any trade for Tanev. Not a chance!

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
Holy overstatement Batman!!
" Special" is McDavid, Ovi, and Crosby. Chris Tanev? Not so much.....
Because offensive skills are the only measure of a special player?

Seriously this thread has just turned into Leaf fans bashing Tanev and undervaluing his worth.

Mods, can we please lock this thread

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

Seriously this thread has just turned into Leaf fans bashing Tanev and undervaluing his worth.

Not saying he isn't a good player. But is " Special" really a term that should be used to describe Tanev?

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's

That guy is the OP and not a Leaf fan... but yes please lock it up

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

*** One answer would have to be that we aren't even trying to make a trade for a defender i.e., we don't think we need one. That is one logical explanation.

Perhaps from the Canucks or Leafs or both's perspective the better alternative is not to trade.

That's what I stated - see the bolded sentence above ***.

Death to this thread. Lock it up!

That doesn't seem likely. Yesterday I counted four (4) Leaf (fan) trade proposals for a top 4 defender on Page 1, and five (5) on the 2nd page. If the majority of Leaf fans don't think we need better defenders, we have a funny way of showing this .......?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->