Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Canes, Dec. 11th - 7 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Babcock putting Brown in the top 6 over Nylander... :thumbd:

Even with Hyman out... Babcock still can't stack our top 6 with our best players. Would be nice to see something different for once.

Matthews and Marner need to play together... they are the ultimate combo that Babcock has never really tried for whatever reason.

Tavares and Marner seem to be working quite well together, I'd rather not break that up.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
For me this is as close to a must win game as you can get for a regular season game in December.

Leafs didn't even deserve to win in Minnesota, played like trash against the Wings and easily the worst game of the season on Saturday night against the Bruins.

Also Nylander needs to pick it up, ya ya he was out for a while but he was skating everyday in Sweden apparently, so how about you show us why you are worth nearly 7 mill.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Even with Hyman out... Babcock still can't stack our top 6 with our best players. Would be nice to see something different for once.

Matthews and Marner need to play together... they are the ultimate combo that Babcock has never really tried for whatever reason.
Exactly, Nylander must be shaking his head once again. Brown promoted to the top line over him speaks volumes.

No wonder Nylander wanted to be paid! He has to play for this stubborn coach!

Reactions: IPS

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Canes have our Leafs number, much like the Bruins. I am expecting another loss. Anything better would be greatly appreciated.

Why would you think that the Bruins have our number. For the previous 2 seasons and this season included, our record against them is 8-2-1. Even the playoffs are pretty evenly matched as it went down to the final period of game 7 to decide the winner (both times).

Reactions: glue and Loosie

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I feel like its more of an in Carolina thing. I haven't looked up the record there, but it just feels like we lose there but beat them at home. Kind of like with Boston or Buffalo. So I think once again this will be tough.

It will be tough in Tampa for sure. But then to close out 2018, the schedule is "light". Not that that has meant a lot to us lately. Especially 6 of those 7 games should be winnable. But at the start of November, I thought that month would be a massive test and December would be where we made up for it.

Well we passed that test with flying colours going 10-4. So now we need to pad that with this December. January is a mixed bag, but February and March look quite light to me as well. So at this point, if we just step it up play like we did in November, we will be fine the rest of the way. But with how December has gone so far, seems like that is potentially an "if". Time to turn things around, starting with this game.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
It's true. He has always been hard on players, sent some of our stars down the lineup, but the Hyman's and Browns of the world never have to answer for bad play. I mean Brown has 3 goals and 9 points in 30 games... I don't see how this warrants top line mins.

Why not try grundy for a game or two, or move other parts of the lineup around.

Maybe the rest of these floaters can learn something from Brown and Hyman.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

Good thing you aren't the coach

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Why would you think that the Bruins have our number. For the previous 2 seasons and this season included, our record against them is 8-2-1. Even the playoffs are pretty evenly matched as it went down to the final period of game 7 to decide the winner (both times).
Well, we lost to an injury depleted Bruins team Saturday night. No excuses are acceptable in this case.

Sure, we have a better regular season record against them recently, however, when it counts the most, the Bruins win. Simple as that really.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I feel like its more of an in Carolina thing. I haven't looked up the record there, but it just feels like we lose there but beat them at home. Kind of like with Boston or Buffalo. So I think once again this will be tough.

3-1 in Caorlina. 1-2 at home (the one win was the 8-1 drubbing last year)

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
For me this is as close to a must win game as you can get for a regular season game in December.

Leafs didn't even deserve to win in Minnesota, played like trash against the Wings and easily the worst game of the season on Saturday night against the Bruins.

Also Nylander needs to pick it up, ya ya he was out for a while but he was skating everyday in Sweden apparently, so how about you show us why you are worth nearly 7 mill.
Agreed. Tough game ahead on Thursday so they really need to go into Tampa on a high with a win tomorrow.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Maybe the rest of these floaters can learn something from Brown and Hyman.

So you have no interest in seeing what a Grundstrom would look like for a game or two? I am not a Babs hater, but I would like to see a few pieces on the Marlies (Grundy, Rosen, maybe Marchment) even for just a few games.

Brown hustles, but he needs to maybe but a few more points up as well.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
So you have no interest in seeing what a Grundstrom would look like for a game or two? I am not a Babs hater, but I would like to see a few pieces on the Marlies (Grundy, Rosen, maybe Marchment) even for just a few games.

Brown hustles, but he needs to maybe but a few more points up as well.

Would love to see Grundstrom/Marchment up here. But Brown has looked better lately, and they need some jump up there, Nylander isnt there yet with conditioning etc, so I get why he is down in the lineup

Reactions: DanM

member 262271

Hyman out of the lineup? How long have some people been waiting for this? :laugh:

I hope they have a bounce back game, one that doesn't make me decide doing the dishes is 100% more fun.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Brown is probably the 2nd worst fit, other than Gauthier. Babcock really doesn't want anyone stealing Hyman's spot.

Gotta love how Babcock went from insisting that Nylander is a beloved career leaf to giving his spot away to a useless grinder
To be fair, the Marleau-Kadri-Nylander line in 2 games have been pretty good on paper as well as Johnsson-Matthews-Kapanen line. The fact that Hyman will never the Tavares-Marner line is seriously mind boggling.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I love Brown and all but Babcock putting him there is highly questionable to say the least. There's nothing that can excuse doing that and nothing suggests he earned that kind of shot.

I'm still hoping they call-up Moore and play him over Gauthier but they won't.
PUMP AND DUMP!!!!! Can you imagine how much more he would be worth if he gets a stretch in the top 6 and shows he can be a 20+ goal guy again? He costs to much as a 4th liner if he is behind Nylander, Marner + Kap. So i see him as the odd man out, so him increasing his value would be super helpful!
---

But seriously, having him play a few games with Tavares+Marner and showing he can work on the line would do wonders for us in the short and long run.
You could return Hyman to Matthews+Nylander which killed last year.
Dont need to worry about Marleau's fit with Matthews, and can leave him with Kadri.
Dont need to ask Kappanen to play his off wing, and he can stay with Marleau+Kadri who have looked pretty solid.

Hyman(cheap) - Matthews - Nylander
Brown(cheap) - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Kappanen
AJ - Lindholm - Ennis
Goat.

Would really help us next year specifically when we are in a contract crunch to have 2 top 6 guys earning under 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad