Leafs can’t close, Matthews and Marner shooting blanks.

Who wins Game 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Then maybe he should have used different wording?

maybe, either way I don’t think a team with Rielly and Marner as top guys with an aging Tavares is a cup winning formula. They’ll make the playoffs comfortably for years to come but I don’t see them going the distance.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
maybe, either way I don’t think a team with Rielly and Marner as top guys with an aging Tavares is a cup winning formula. They’ll make the playoffs comfortably for years to come but I don’t see them going the distance.

Tavares is like 30. He's not retiring anytime soon. Their core is good. There will always be moves to make but I think Toronto should not blow it up. Their core pieces are amazing. I'm a Habs fan and hope we complete the ultimate humiliation tommorow but Toronto will be good for a long time.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Carolina '06 certainly won without a world-class defenseman. Theh didn't even have a legitimate no.1
They had a way better goalie then the Leafs have now.....And i remember Glen Wesley playing at a very high level......Cam Ward was amazing and a goalie can do that....even with your point....so what one team has won without one. I cant think of any others. Leafs will never win a cup with the way this team is built....

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No question.....You dont blow it up. You do however make changes. Leafs are simply not built correctly. They have no world class defensemen. No team has ever won a Stanley cup, without having at least one. Marner is a guy i trade as he can fetch a ton of what they need and give them spending money....Guys like Spezza....just need to go away....The team is built very very poorly........Toronto has no chance even if they beat the Habnots.....
It's been done, but it's hard to do. The Pens did it a couple of years ago but they had a generational player leading the way along with Malkin and Kessel. There are other examples as well but I agree with your general point.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Caps and Tampa didn’t blow it up. Sometimes patience is the key even though it’s hard to be that way.

I don’t see Matthews as a problem going forward.

Those two teams did win rounds now and again though. The Leafs might not need to be blown up, but they need a serious culture change, the complacency is palpable.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Matthews and Marner need to put their egos aside for one game and just get the job done. They are going through exactly what Ovy and Backstrom did in WSH for what 7 or 8 years? Before they finally were able to overcome it. But they literally had to hire Trotz first to help do the job. But all those years WSH had trouble closing out series and always choked away leads.

It's not ego. It's nerves, particularly with Marner. He's one of the better stickhandlers in the league and somehow has like 6 puck over glass penalties in his playoff career. And it's not like he's played a lot of games with deep runs.

I think the ego thing with Washington was more about buckling down defensively. Matthews and Marner are playing well defensively, they just seem scared of the moment (again, moreso Marner but Auston a bit as well).

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Leafs are going to win game 7 and then stomp Winnipeg.

I do think if they get the monkey off their back I think they should have a pressure off of them to play Winnipeg but Winnipeg is gonna be nice and rested. They're no joke tho.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
The poll will close at 11:44 PM on May 31st, after the end of the game (unless there's multiple OT periods)?

Nice. That will give me the opportunity to change my vote (if wrong) and throw sand into people eyes re my hockey acumen...

Reactions: HostileCapSpace

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
It's not ego. It's nerves, particularly with Marner. He's one of the better stickhandlers in the league and somehow has like 6 puck over glass penalties in his playoff career. And it's not like he's played a lot of games with deep runs.

I think the ego thing with Washington was more about buckling down defensively. Matthews and Marner are playing well defensively, they just seem scared of the moment (again, moreso Marner but Auston a bit as well).

It's fear. That's the problem. Some players fear getting hit and don't have it in them to fight back.

You need Gamers who battle to the end and who turn fear into aggression. Either in the form of checking, driving the net, or putting pucks in the net to cause the opposition fear of their own.

Reactions: DarylO

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
What i don't understand with Marner is what happens to his hockey-iq in the post season? The blueline play has been read to death by now and i feel like the regular season Marner would adapt to it.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
They’ve combined for 50+ shots. It’s not like they aren’t trying to score

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I dont watch of a lot leafs games but when i do i always feel like marner is doing all of thr work and mathews is just sitting in a high danger spot and finishing. Am i wrong?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
No question.....You dont blow it up. You do however make changes. Leafs are simply not built correctly. They have no world class defensemen. No team has ever won a Stanley cup, without having at least one. Marner is a guy i trade as he can fetch a ton of what they need and give them spending money....Guys like Spezza....just need to go away....The team is built very very poorly........Toronto has no chance even if they beat the Habnots.....
06 Hurricanes say hi.

Dhaemon

Oct 20, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Habs fan here...

If we lose, well they went above and beyond my expectations and brought the cocky Leafs to the brink
If we win, well thats great news and I would be very surprised and happy. :)

However, it all doesn't mean anything with the way Colorado is playing...Leafs, Habs, Jets, whoever, Colorado is the team to beat it seems and they will be very hard for any of the northern teams to accomplish.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Leafs are going to win game 7 and then stomp Winnipeg.

Beerfish we gotta stick with our prarier bros, I hated their dumb defensive stuff to but I would rather the peg win. They didnt do anything that came close to the ducks level of bs.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Wonder what kind of YouTube Star outfit "Papi" will be sporting tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad