Post-Game Talk: Leafs blanked by Flames 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Leafs were playing with a bouncy ball out there. They couldnt pass to save their life.

Sloppy game all around. Hutch wasnt too bad.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I feel like the difference between the Leafs and teams like the Bruins and Lightning is that the Leafs lack the ability to finish alot of the time compared to those teams even when we get great looks.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
A couple things...

1. Games like this happen. Not the end of the world. Good for David Riddich.

2. 0/6 on the powerplay is embarrassing. Not because Riddich was so good, but because Toronto has no ability to adjust in game. Calgary took the cross seem pass away and Toronto was absolutely shocked and unable to adjust and find another way to be a threat. Just ridiculous lol.

3. The undoing of this team, IMO, will be the regression of Morgan Reilly, William Nylander and whatever is going on with John Tavares right now. Auston and Mitch can't do it by themselves. It's too bad that the Morgan Reilly from a couple years ago has just vanished.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
John Tavares looks like a third liner out there. Morgan Rielly is no bueno defensively and makes the wrong decision with the puck in the offensive zone more often than not. This team is good, but they are in hard to win the cup if those 2 don't snap out of it. I'm not even going to talk about how we keep giving Vesey and Barabanov looks when we have a much better option in Robertson available. If this team is serious about wanting to win Keefe needs to actually ice his best roster, especially when we're as injured as we are right now.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
JT is concerning me right now big time. He wasn't even that good during the series against CBJ in the summer. Overall, though, there is no need to over scrutinize one loss in the regular season when you're 1st place.

Reactions: moon111

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
We had our worst game of the year and still arguably outplayed a bubble team with our 3rd stringer and a whole line and defence pair injured, we have a good team this year boys.

Tavares and Rielly are just depressing to watch right now however

Reactions: Schooner

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Bit of a depleted lineup.

Zero puck luck throughout the game, not a cliche.

The Big Line sort of stymied by getting a little too fancy with personnel decisions.

Not a Hutch fan but I think he gave us a fighting chance.

Powerplay lacked urgency. Seemed to be a little complacent.

Mikheyev has no hands.

John Tavares is playing unacceptably poor hockey.

Rielly continues to make questionable offensive decisions. Very poor on the transition.

Thought Kerfoot, Barabanov, Boyd and Petan had some decent jump. Sort of good blend of skill and speed on the bottom six.

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
Lol we are in trouble comment.
If every team has a key player struggling, they are in trouble too.

Not a lot of teams have $11m players struggling this badly. When you get paid that much, you don't have the luxury of being this mediocre for this long.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Tavares and Nylander aren't on the score sheet yet again? Color me not surprised. Both of them are useless this season.

Leafs can't win every game, but it would be nice for our Captain and Nylander to contribute once every now and then. Annoying as hell.

What are you talking about? Tavares had a great deflection goal, his hand-eye is crazy.

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
Well that was pretty awful in general, these games happen. I really feel bad for Soup, that poor guy can’t catch a break. Everyone else put in a decent effort, Willy looked a lot better, hutch played reasonably well, not a whole lot to comment on as it was an off night overall. Oh well, we will def get them next game...

Reactions: saffronleaf

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I genuinely can't remember the last time the PP looked *that* terrible for the entire night. 7 power plays, lots at crucial points in the game, nearly a 2 minute 5 on 3, and literally nothing to show for it. With the stacked top unit, no less. Just brutal

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
If this isn't an off year for Tavares that means he is done and we have $11M of dead cap space X 4 more years.

He can't be done....right?

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I know it was a frustrating night but I thought this game was a good litmus test for how much better the Leafs are defensively vs last season.

Hutchinson still sucks. He gives out massive rebounds on shots that should be easily handled. On the Monahan goal, the puck was actually under Hutch's pad but he kicked it out for some reason? Guy is addicted to creating unnecessary rebounds.

But you get the feeling that last year the Leafs would've given up way more high danger shots, and way more chances around the crease.

Allowing only 3 goals, with 2 goals on the PK, really shows how far the team has come defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad