Line Combos: Leafs' biggest need?

Leafs' biggest need?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'm surprised that so many voted for changing the core players when their core is one of the best in the NHL, a bit expensive, but certainly no need to scrap. I think trading one of them to clear up some cap space may be a good idea.

Right, cap space would be great but is there any guarantee that Dubie wont give Jumbo Joe a 3 years 5 mil contract right after clearing up that cap space? ;)

BTW Rumors are that Joe might be back after some roster moves... :(

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Biggest need:

"Killer Instinct" according to Shanny

Action Taken:

Michael Bunting?

Media Says:

No major trades or acquisitions this offseason. Leafs are looking for "internal killer instinct".

Leaf Fan Reaction:

Fire Dubas

I'm still waiting on Friedman's post about the Leafs acquiring a culture changing player... insert back peddling in 5 -4 - 3- 2 .....

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I'm still waiting on Friedman's post about the Leafs acquiring a culture changing player... insert back peddling in 5 -4 - 3- 2 .....

Haha.

I heard Johnston on the fan590 a few weeks ago. Not only did he back peddle, but the mere mention of this player made him uncomfortable/embarrassed.

The Friedman/Johnston "Big name/big promise" RIP.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
"Better Leadership" to me. I'm obviously basing this on hindsight, but a couple things really stand out to me:
  • Assets thrown at no-impact players at the TDL last year
  • Coaching - mismanagement of players TOI and roster spots (Thornton, Simmonds, Sandin, Barabanov, Nash in G1, etc), special teams, consistently starting even the biggest games 'late' with poor first-10-minutes, etc.
  • Selecting Keefe as a Babcock replacement
I'm now concerned we're walking into a situation where Rielly either 1) signs a crippling long term team or 2) walks for free at end of season. I'm not at all confident that Keefe and the special teams coaches know what they are doing with this group.

Conversely, I do like a lot of our depth deals this year in Bunting, Menell, Ritchie, Dahlstrom, Gabriel, and Kampf. After seeing the rates that UFA defensemen commanded this summer I believe it was the right move to keep Holl over McCann. The Mrazek deal is OK. But they don't make up for the fact that we've done very poorly on the trade front and our coaching really needs to improve.

Reactions: ottomaddox

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Right, cap space would be great but is there any guarantee that Dubie wont give Jumbo Joe a 3 years 5 mil contract right after clearing up that cap space? ;)

BTW Rumors are that Joe might be back after some roster moves... :(
There’s no way Thornton returns.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
After picking up Mrazek and making some assistant coaching changes to hope fully beef up the PP, top 6 LW and better scoring depth seem the obvious choices here.

These may have already been done but there are some serious question marks about just how effective any acquisitions will perform in a top 6 LW role and if depth scoring will improve.

I'm surprised one of the biggest issues wasn't even mentioned though (I suppose it could be other but absolutely should be an option).

STAY HEALTHY!

Under Keefe, the Leafs have been one of the more injured teams in the league (but still managed to put up the 6th best record in hockey since he took over) and that followed them into the last two playoffs as well.

Hockey gods, can we please not lose any key players this year?

Thanks.

Reactions: Menzinger

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
For Cooper to improve to a SC winning coach he had to acquire a Kucherov, Hedman and a Vaselvisky.
You don't need any specific player to win the cup. You just need a good team (which can come in many different forms), some patience, and some luck. The underlying point you seem to be missing in that Cooper discussion is that regardless of your personal feelings about how Keefe is doing, his hiring was not "unsuitable".
Keefe is a OHL coach in a NHL league.
He's an NHL coach, and one that's doing a pretty good job. There are some things I wish he'd do differently at times (like there would be for literally any coach), but you personally disagreeing with something he does doesn't make that thing the wrong move, and losing a series doesn't mean somebody was "outcoached".

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
You don't need any specific player to win the cup. You just need a good team (which can come in many different forms), some patience, and some luck. The underlying point you seem to be missing in that Cooper discussion is that regardless of your personal feelings about how Keefe is doing, his hiring was not "unsuitable".

He's an NHL coach, and one that's doing a pretty good job. There are some things I wish he'd do differently at times (like there would be for literally any coach), but you personally disagreeing with something he does doesn't make that thing the wrong move, and losing a series doesn't mean somebody was "outcoached".

So why does the team keep losing? Everything is great. We have no weaknesses. Dubas has never made a mistake. Somehow we keep losing.

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
As much as i believe they need a bonafide #1 goalie to be a true contender, it says a lot about how far away they are that it isn't even close to one of their top 3 needs.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You also don't care for quoting the entire post for "context" either I see.
I was there to respond to the discussion at hand (which I did), not your false accusations meant to deflect from the fact you were wrong. You stated that the hiring was "unsuitable", with zero substantiation, when the now back-to-back Cup champs made an almost identical hiring for the same reasons. You then tried to wiggle your way out of that by suggesting that coaches "just have it" or don't - equating the situation to a Calder candidate vs. a failing rookie. So I pointed out to you their respective records, in both regular season and playoffs, through the beginning of their coaching careers, to show that if anything, Keefe would be the Calder candidate between the two of them.

Then despite the fact that you constantly claim that context is merely excuses and results are all that matter, you played the context card, even though context doesn't actually change anything about the point that was being made.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

In your opinion he is doing a good job, but we have already established that you've never played hockey before, so how much is your opinion worth really? Line stacking a good job or is it an OHL move? A 2 month long PP drought, stick with the plan or bad coaching? Team loses 3 straight against the 18th place team and you've made no line adjustments, good coaching or OHL coaching? Get out coached in two consecutive series by coaches with a far inferior skilled team, good coaching or OHL coaching?

No you don't need any specific player to win the cup, but when you have a recent Veznia winner, a recent Norris winner a recent Art Ross/Ted Lindsay/Hart Memorial Trophy winner, it tends to make a coaches life A LOT easier and probably pads that W/L record in the playoffs. Has any coach ever had a Veznia/Norris/Ross/Lindsay/Hart play on his team all at the same time?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So why does the team keep losing? Everything is great. We have no weaknesses. Dubas has never made a mistake. Somehow we keep losing.

Uhh but we are not losing , nothing to see here.. everything is fine... all part of the Shannyplan.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I was there to respond to the discussion at hand (which I did), not your false accusations meant to deflect from the fact you were wrong. You stated that the hiring was "unsuitable", with zero substantiation, when the now back-to-back Cup champs made an almost identical hiring for the same reasons. You then tried to wiggle your way out of that by suggesting that coaches "just have it" or don't - equating the situation to a Calder candidate vs. a failing rookie. So I pointed out to you their respective records, in both regular season and playoffs, through the beginning of their coaching careers, to show that if anything, Keefe would be the Calder candidate between the two of them.

Then despite the fact that you constantly claim that context is merely excuses and results are all that matter, you played the context card, even though context doesn't actually change anything about the point that was being made.

Dubas didn’t even look for a coach. He didn’t interview anyone. He just gave the job to his friend.

Even if you think it was a good choice, that was not even close to a good process, which is supposed to be Dubas’ thing.

Reactions: egd27

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
we have already established that you've never played hockey before
That was not established. That was you making incorrect assumptions based on nothing, about something that isn't relevant at all. Just because you don't understand or you disagree with something that Keefe does, it does not make it the wrong move. Just because a team loses a series, it doesn't mean they were outcoached.
when you have a recent Veznia winner, a recent Norris winner a recent Art Ross/Ted Lindsay/Hart Memorial Trophy winner, it tends to make a coaches life A LOT easier
Yes, winning teams have good players.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Dubas didn’t even look for a coach. He didn’t interview anyone.
...you were expecting an extensive interview process for a mid-season hire? Just like Tampa, they promoted their deserving AHL champion coach who they were already familiar with.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
That was not established. That was you making incorrect assumptions based on nothing, about something that isn't relevant at all. Just because you don't understand or you disagree with something that Keefe does, it does not make it the wrong move. Just because a team loses a series, it doesn't mean they were outcoached.

Yes, winning teams have good players.

You never denied my astute observation. So you have never played hockey. Ergo your opinion .... a big fat 0.

Your right just because I disagree with his coaching decisions does not make it the wrong move. The end results makes it the wrong move. If you make enough wrong moves you lose the series... see how a cascading events of poor decision making decides the series? Maybe people who don't play hockey tend to struggle with the finer details. Not saying you haven't played hockey because you haven't but Keefe has made many mistakes that even the newest fan can pick up. Heck there are a bunch of guys on this forum that have played WHL and OHL, ask them.. they will tell you.

and winning coaches have good players too and the more of those good players you have the better your record tends to be... comparing Keefe to Cooper is like comparing and alligator to socks..

You are wonderful wordsmith BTW...

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
...you were expecting an extensive interview process for a mid-season hire? Just like Tampa, they promoted their deserving AHL champion coach who they were already familiar with.

Yes we do, that is usually the process for any multimillion dollar corporation, you vet leaders in your organization before you promote them ? You think we don't deserve the best ?

Reactions: egd27

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You never denied my astute observation.
I prefer to focus on the discussion, not your deflections. Your assumption about me, based on nothing, is both wrong and irrelevant.
Your right just because I disagree with his coaching decisions does not make it the wrong move. The end results makes it the wrong move. If you make enough wrong moves you lose the series...
There are many things that impact whether a series is won or lost, beyond coaching.
Yes we do, that is usually the process
That is not the usual process for a mid-season coaching change. Just like Tampa, they promoted their deserving AHL champion coach who they were already very familiar with.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
need to dump the GM/Coach but the main piece that has to go is Tavares , breaking his 11m dollar cap hit into needed pieces is the only way this team will have a chance to succeed

For me, it has to be Marner. But it needs to be a good hockey trade. Our center depth is our strength, and Tavares typically raises his game in the playoffs. It's just a shame we didn't get to see it this year. I would be ok with a change of scenery type, i.e. Marner for Eichel as a framework if the Sabres were open to it.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
GM change - Dubas is far too set in his ways and theories
Let the new GM pick the coach

At that point the new GM can evaluate the core and lack of playoff success

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
GM change - Dubas is far too set in his ways and theories
Let the new GM pick the coach

At that point the new GM can evaluate the core and lack of playoff success

Sadly there's no coach with name recognition available now that Gallant has signed. Unless Leaf fans want Boudreau, or another coaching prospect with a resume similar to Keefe himself.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Sadly there's no coach with name recognition available now that Gallant has signed. Unless Leaf fans want Boudreau, or another coaching prospect with a resume similar to Keefe himself.

Let's hope there are some names out there next year when KD is shown the door.
At the very least, conduct a thorough search for the best candidate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad