Line Combos: Leafs' biggest need?

Leafs' biggest need?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
As with players there are rookies that are Calder candidates and rookies that just never really make it.
It's no different with coaches or GM's. Some have it, some don't.
Through their first season and a half with their teams:

Keefe: 0.660 point percentage
Cooper: 0.582 point percentage

Playoff record:

Keefe: 5-7
Cooper: 0-4

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
The biggest need is to have a more balanced lineup. Signing Ritchie and Bunting was a good start, especially when you loose a guy like Hyman.

I’ve mentioned this multiple times before but Kempe is the exact type of player we should be aiming for. LA is looking to win so maybe a package including Kerfoot and Dermott can get it done. This would also free up 3 million dollars.

Move Engvall and/or Mikheyev for draft picks. We’d have 4.25 - 4.65 million in cap space. Sign Kyle Palmieri with that money.

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Playoff record:

Different teams, different times, different circumstances.

You don't much care for "context" when it doesn't suit your narrative, huh? :laugh:

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
cooper's record ...
took him awhile ... a little premature writing off keefe already ...
yzerman took over 2 full years before cooper arrived ... so it took wonder stevie 10 years for tampa to win the cup ...

Coaching Record

Regular SeasonPlayoffs
SeasonAgeTmLgGPWLTOLPTSPTS%FinishGWLTW-L%Notes
2012-1345TBLNHL1658313.4064th
2013-1446TBLNHL8246279101.6162nd404.000
2014-1547TBLNHL8250248108.6592nd261412.538Eastern Conference Champions
2015-1648TBLNHL824631597.5912nd17116.647
2016-1749TBLNHL8242301094.5735th000
2017-1850TBLNHL8254235113.6891st17116.647
2018-1951TBLNHL8262164128.7801st404.000
2019-2052TBLNHL704321692.6572nd25187.720Stanley Cup Champions
2020-2153TBLNHL563617375.6703rd23167.696Stanley Cup Champions
CareerNHL63438419753821.6471167046.603
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I think Marner has to go to provide depth and flexibility.
I wouldn’t mind seeing Marner get traded but that clearly won’t happen before the start of this season. I do believe it’s this core fours final shot together however and we do have options.

Kerfoot and Dermott for Kempe.
Mikheyev for Mayfield.
Engvall for picks.

Sign Palmieri.

Kempe - Matthews - Nylander
Ritchie - Tavares - Marner
Bunting - Kampf - Palmieri
Simmonds - Brooks - Spezza

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Mayfield

Mrazek - Campbell

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
OTHER

Leafs need competent management group. President, GM and Coach.

The team culture is worst than muskoka5 and that is saying something.

You have a GM who got the GM position that would be the envy of any GM

- Team on the rise
- Plenty of cap space
- prospects

in his few years with this GM we have
  • Coach fired (babcock)
  • No capspace
  • No playoff success
  • Team decline
  • Losing to a frakin' zamboni driver
  • montreal colours on the CN Tower
  • massive overpayments and no term
  • no hope for the future
  • rookie coach
  • helluva lot of BS

the GM of this team was defending Marner who has ZERO PP goals the entire regular season last year and no goals in the last 18 playoff games

This team needs a GM who cares about the team and preaches that logo on the front means more than the name on the back

Pretty much this...

Reactions: PromisedLand

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Playoff record:

I think you are trying to make a point but I'm not sure what it is. For Cooper to improve to a SC winning coach he had to acquire a Kucherov, Hedman and a Vaselvisky. Lets say Matthews is our Kucherov, when does Keefe get a Vaselvisky and a Hedman?

Reactions: egd27

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Our GM has also built a decent team, and our coach also knows what to do with it. But that's also besides the point - Mess incorrectly suggested that such a thing was a "recipe for disaster", when the back-to-back Cup Champions did the exact same thing.

I suspected you've never actually played hockey b4 but that comment cements my suspicion. When Keefe line stacked vs CBJ and then had 3 lines of nothing after that did you think .. WOW what a brilliant strategy when Matthews and Marner struggled for Games, 5, 6, 7 vs Montreal and you watched Keefe do virtually the same thing every shift did you think, wow our coach really knows what to do with his players? Keefe is a OHL coach in a NHL league. The guy may some time in the distant future figure out the NHL game but he's shown nothing so far to indicate he's got "it" so far.. he was out matched by a coach that was not an official NHL coach, Ducharme was interim coach and Richardson as assistant coach. Let that sink in... our head coach was out coached by people with considerable less experience at the pro level than Sheldon.

When you witnessed our PP go 0 for a billion over the last few months and through the playoffs, with the eventual Rocket Richard trophy winner, doing the same stupid drop pass at our blue line (kill 15 seconds), Marner dipsy doodling for 45 seconds in the attacking zone and Matthews at his normal spot at the top of the faceoff dot, did you say to yourself, wow, that Head Coach really knows what he is doing. I for one was thinking how will Montreal ever crack that code to figure out what we are going to do on the PP?

Martin St. Louis was once asked why he was such an effective offensive threat, His response was deception. Every goalie and D man has thousands of hours of coaching, training and games, they all know what you are supposed to do, so they will play the percentages. Every team knows what we are going to do on the PP and 5 on 5, it no secret, there is zero deception on Keefes coaching game, zero. Rinse wash repeat is not so bad in the regular season, coaches don't typically line match as intensely as they would in the playoffs, predictability in the playoffs is as good as a series loss. Gone are the days where Keefe could just OHL line stack and win games, he has to add deception and/or variance to part of our game.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I think you are trying to make a point but I'm not sure what it is. For Cooper to improve to a SC winning coach he had to acquire a Kucherov, Hedman and a Vaselvisky. Lets say Matthews is our Kucherov, when does Keefe get a Vaselvisky and a Hedman?
I guess that’s up to Dubas or who ever takes over for him.
:)

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I suspected you've never actually played hockey b4 but that comment cements my suspicion. When Keefe line stacked vs CBJ and then had 3 lines of nothing after that did you think .. WOW what a brilliant strategy when Matthews and Marner struggled for Games, 5, 6, 7 vs Montreal and you watched Keefe do virtually the same thing every shift did you think, wow our coach really knows what to do with his players? Keefe is a OHL coach in a NHL league. The guy may some time in the distant future figure out the NHL game but he's shown nothing so far to indicate he's got "it" so far.. he was out matched by a coach that was not an official NHL coach, Ducharme was interim coach and Richardson as assistant coach. Let that sink in... our head coach was out coached by people with considerable less experience at the pro level than Sheldon.

When you witnessed our PP go 0 for a billion over the last few months and through the playoffs, with the eventual Rocket Richard trophy winner, doing the same stupid drop pass at our blue line (kill 15 seconds), Marner dipsy doodling for 45 seconds in the attacking zone and Matthews at his normal spot at the top of the faceoff dot, did you say to yourself, wow, that Head Coach really knows what he is doing. I for one was thinking how will Montreal ever crack that code to figure out what we are going to do on the PP?

Martin St. Louis was once asked why he was such an effective offensive threat, His response was deception. Every goalie and D man has thousands of hours of coaching, training and games, they all know what you are supposed to do, so they will play the percentages. Every team knows what we are going to do on the PP and 5 on 5, it no secret, there is zero deception on Keefes coaching game, zero. Rinse wash repeat is not so bad in the regular season, coaches don't typically line match as intensely as they would in the playoffs, predictability in the playoffs is as good as a series loss. Gone are the days where Keefe could just OHL line stack and win games, he has to add deception and/or variance to part of our game.
OMG this is so accurate and so well said

Reactions: egd27

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I'm surprised that so many voted for changing the core players when their core is one of the best in the NHL, a bit expensive, but certainly no need to scrap. I think trading one of them to clear up some cap space may be a good idea.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Biggest need:

"Killer Instinct" according to Shanny

Action Taken:

Michael Bunting?

Media Says:

No major trades or acquisitions this offseason. Leafs are looking for "internal killer instinct".

Leaf Fan Reaction:

Fire Dubas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad