Post-Game Talk: Leafs Beat Flames 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Imagine going scoreless the whole season and still being loved by fans.
What a player, so good at what he does.

He came as advertised...we never needed him to be an offensive Dman just to shore up our ability in our own end which he has done in spades...personally I don’t care if he ever scores for us as long as his play in his own end continues the way it has

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Gotta love how overrated these dinosaur coaches like Sutter are. We had one ourselves in Babcock who way overstayed his welcome.

Ironically many people on this very board called Carlyle a "dinosaur" and begged for a coach like Babcock.

Reactions: saltming

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I don’t know how anyone can hate Hutch.

He was absolutely brutal last year, in the massive spotlight of Toronto, and is run out of town.

Comes back the next year and has been rock solid in the third string role.
The guy battles. He's not a great goalie and it can be ugly to watch, even when he's playing well, but he's been clutch this year. Never thought I'd say that considering he looked like a beer league tender last season prior to joining Colorado. Goes to show that a goalie is only as good as his defense.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The guy battles. He's not a great goalie and it can be ugly to watch, even when he's playing well, but he's been clutch this year. Never thought I'd say that considering he looked like a beer league tender last season prior to joining Colorado. Goes to show that a goalie is only as good as his defense.

Also confidence and the mental game.

Reactions: Rocker13

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Did anyone notice Morgan Rielly out there for the last 3 minutes of the game? I saw Bogosian-Dermott, then Holl-Muzzin, and then Bogosian-Brodie who was caught on an icing but I didn't see 44 out there to finish.
Big fan of Reilly but this should be a regular occurrence protecting a lead in the last few minutes

Reactions: Beleafer34

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
really starting to bother me that our current 3rd liners are on pace for like 20 point seasons...thats not gonna cut it if you want to beat great teams in a playoff series...took keefe awhile to get the top 2 lines right, hes gotta get the bottom 6 right, especially that oh so important third
My hope is that Dubas can get someone to play with Matthews and Marner so that Human could go back on the 3rd line, then we would have 3 strong lines for sure.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Question: Couldn't watch but thought Campbell was starting?

This was never the plan. Was reported earlier in the day yesterday that Hutch would start.

Thought that meant Campbell would go today but appears there is uncertainty around that as well. Worrying.

Campbell was showing signs of aggravation late in his last start after a big lateral save.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Wouldn't it be easier to fill the third line spot?
Is there a winger available out there like Hyman? If so, sure, but if not, then no. Unlike Tavares and Nylander, I believe Matthews and Marner could have just about anyone play on their left wing and they wouldn't miss a beat.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
really starting to bother me that our current 3rd liners are on pace for like 20 point seasons...thats not gonna cut it if you want to beat great teams in a playoff series...took keefe awhile to get the top 2 lines right, hes gotta get the bottom 6 right, especially that oh so important third
That oh so important 3rd line was on a 50 point pace when hyman was on it. Have to pick your poison. Either hyman plays with matthews and marner and the 3rd suffers or you try and find a replacement for hyman on the top line, otherwise they suffer. The ladder is easier said than done.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I fell asleep when the Leafs were down 2-1 and seeing the soft 2nd goal I didn't think it was a game worth missing sleep over. I was glad to see that they came back and that Hutchinson overall played well. Tonight's game starts even later so it will be tough, but I may give it a shot.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Also, we have now extended the division lead to 6 points. We're starting to pull away again

Don't jinx it.

Glad I did not rip Hutch after the 2nd Flames goal and have to eat crow. Ended up the first star.

Good for you. It always leaves a bad taste in my mouth when people rip into our own and goalies get it the worst. Even that goal was a tougher save then people think IMHO as it was a bit of a knuckle ball. An NHL goalie should get that most of the time but even the best ones will not save it 100% of the time. The thing to do is to support our player and judge him when the game is over cause you never know, maybe he redeems himself just like Hutch did last night.

All goalies give up bad goals. All goalies give up goals "at bad times". No goalie always makes the save when you "need him to make the save".

I fell asleep when the Leafs were down 2-1 and seeing the soft 2nd goal I didn't think it was a game worth missing sleep over. I was glad to see that they came back and that Hutchinson overall played well. Tonight's game starts even later so it will be tough, but I may give it a shot.

Even though we won, you could still probably say that - the game was pretty damn boring overall, nothing like say the games against WPG. It was so bad that I'm debating if I'm gonna stay up for the duration tonight which is unusual for me. I guess I'll decide on the fly but if the 1st period is boring, I might pack it in.

Anyhow, good to get the win. Hopefully we can get another one tonight.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
This was never the plan. Was reported earlier in the day yesterday that Hutch would start.

Thought that meant Campbell would go today but appears there is uncertainty around that as well. Worrying.

Campbell was showing signs of aggravation late in his last start after a big lateral save.

Thanks. Was hoping it wasn't something like this. Had read a news article yesterday that said he was starting last night. Was surprised to see Hutch's name.

Reactions: BoredBrandonPridham
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad