Post-Game Talk: Leafs Beat Flames 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Big win to get up 6 points in the division.

Would be nice to see the Leafs show up tonight and take over the game. The Flames are running out of chances to show their a playoff team. Another win tonight, especially in regulation, could be the nail in the coffin for the Flames as sellers at the deadline.

Of course Calgary's remaining 5 games against Montreal will be huge so they may be holding out for that.

Opportunity for the Leafs to show us that they're a good team that can put teams away.

Calgary doesn't really have anything to sell outside of Rittich and Bennett. They could sell off both (or just Rittich if they want to re-sign Bennett) and then just fill the spots internally. If they do well against MTL, then they still have much of their team intact for a run and gained assets, but will be at somewhat of a disadvantage over the teams that stocked up.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
He needs to sit, no question. It's definitely time to see what Robertson can do in his spot for a game or two.
Robertson hasn't looked anything special in the AHL to be honest. Dude needs to beef up physically - he's always getting knocked on his ass each game.
A better bet right now would be Joey Anderson.

Reactions: fahad203

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Robertson hasn't looked anything special in the AHL to be honest. Dude needs to beef up physically - he's always getting knocked on his ass each game.
A better bet right now would be Joey Anderson.

AHL is a harder league to play since a lot of players come and go. You can never build true chemistry

On top of that you get a of left over players that are not very good to begin with. In juniors you get to play with top end players in your class

For some players it's easier to play in NHL as players are more structured. They know where to be

There are plenty of NHL players did horrible in AHL but exelled in NHL

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Does Joe not sitting out have anything to do with how it would affect their Cap?

Yea it does affect. Joe has to clear waivers to get to the Taxi Squad. If he sits out a game then Leafs will have to carry 21 players on the active roster for that game day which affects our ability to accrue cap space on those days. To avoid this Joe needs to waive his NMC and clears waivers.

Leafs are playing catch up on accruing space after being in LTIR much of the season, presumably for a deadline deal.

The same issue is there for acquiring a goalie. Unless we drop a roster player that makes more than $1m, we’re limited to goalies that make less than $1m or are waiver-exempt (e.g., VV who we just acquired)

Reactions: Beleafer34

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Is there a winger available out there like Hyman? If so, sure, but if not, then no. Unlike Tavares and Nylander, I believe Matthews and Marner could have just about anyone play on their left wing and they wouldn't miss a beat.
Thornton says hi.
Truth is Hyman compliments that line well

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
This game is the prime example of a game that you lose in a losing streak, yet somehow always manage to win when hot. Overall it was a pretty even game, Calgary definitely had times where they controlled the play, but not to the point where I would say they dominated the game. Hutch came up big in the 2nd, and gave us the opportunity to get the 2 points with a strong 3rd. Which is exactly what ended up happening. Calgary is completely disjointed right now, need to kick em while they are down and get the 2 points tonight. Will go a long way in the standings if we can manage to get those 2 pts

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
As I said before season started Flames do not have enough offense ... they outplayed us for 2 periods but could only get 2 goals on Hutch ... then our offense turned it up a notch and Flames were doomed ... interesting note how hard it is to build a team which can score enough in regular season to get to dance but has enough defense and tending to win in playoff hockey I see Flames as having MIX a little wrong ... but I would not want to play them in playoffs ... hoping we get Oilers in round 1 as I think it is easiest path for us with their porous D ... then whoever Jets/Habs in division final likely Jets with Helle

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
AHL is a harder league to play since a lot of players come and go. You can never build true chemistry

On top of that you get a of left over players that are not very good to begin with. In juniors you get to play with top end players in your class

For some players it's easier to play in NHL as players are more structured. They know where to be

There are plenty of NHL players did horrible in AHL but exelled in NHL
Most players in the AHL got drafted from junior, so they are the best of the best. There are tons who aren't good enough to make the AHL or even the ECHL. ..What you said doesn't make a lot of sense.
At any rate, I rate Robertson highly, but I don't think he's going to make much of an impact if you bring him up right now. Just my opinion watching him play this season.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Most players in the AHL got drafted from junior, so they are the best of the best. There are tons who aren't good enough to make the AHL or even the ECHL. ..What you said doesn't make a lot of sense.
At any rate, I rate Robertson highly, but I don't think he's going to make much of an impact if you bring him up right now. Just my opinion watching him play this season.

In what world was Rich Clune, Joseph Duszek, Tyler Gaudet, Kenny Agostino were top end junior players?

Only top end junior player maybe Sandin, Lily and Petan.

Most top end junior players are already playing in NHL. What you get is left overs

If these players had good habits, good consistent skills, they would be playing NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad