Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Avs | Tuesday, January 21st 7pm MT | Scouting our future players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchess

Jan 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH

stan-stan-marsh-24278067-696-538.jpg

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
As a born and bred in Toronto native, I can tell you that hockey in Toronto is mad-crazier than almost anywhere else in the world....maybe only Montreal can come close (the two most historic hockey cities and clubs).

The fact that some of you are actually angry and mad about leaf fans for thinking other cities are waiting to hate on the Leafs actually indicates this is true. You just proved the point. If you REALLY didn't care about the Leafs and the Leaf fans, then you'd be INDIFFERENT (meaning, you have no care to even comment about it). But if you hate the leaf fans for whatever reason (egotism, superiority-complex, we-are-the-center-of-the-world-complex, etc), then you in fact DO care because you care enough to hate them.

It's been said that one of the reasons why Toronto may have so many struggles for so many years is because other teams and players (esp. Ontario native or GTA/Toronto area born hockey players) get UP for the game. They are playing in front of all their families and friends, local hometown peoples etc., and most of these canadian/ontario born players idolized the leafs as kids and therefore get UP for the games. Now there's no way to really prove this theory, and in the end, it's only an excuse, but IMHO, I believe it to be true. People just play a lot harder against Toronto because it's personal...its their local city or it's where all their family and friends show up to watch them.In any case, I don't speak for all Leaf fans. In fact, I too, find many Leaf fans to be a little bonkers and narrow-minded. The hockey world is indeed much larger than just Toronto and hockey does not revolve around Toronto as the centerpiece. But, it's hard to argue that you can find any other mass following as large and as passionate as Leaf fans. I always find it so amazing when the Leafs go into other teams home arenas, and maybe quarter to half of the people in the seats are wearing blue and white chanting GO LEAFS GO lol (ie. Buffalo, Ottawa, Florida, TB, well every other canadian hockey team).

Avs are pretty hot themselves right now 8-1-1 in the past 10 games and Leafs with a 5 game winning streak (last time they had a 5 game win streak was 7 years ago).

So both teams look good heading into the game. I'm usually pretty happy no matter who wins as I want both Leafs and Avs to win. I hope they both get at least a point heading into OT and then have fun for the extra point. And MacKinnon better have a 5 point night, 8 would be nice, but I'll be happy with a 5 point night ^_^

:facepalm: One of the worst excuses I have ever heard in my life. Just blame the players and coaches like everyone else.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
:facepalm: One of the worst excuses I have ever heard in my life. Just blame the players and coaches like everyone else.

Worst excuse? Do you know how many times leafs fans have heard opposing players express their hard on for playing against Toronto? It should motivate the leafs to counter it though.

Bluejaysfan*

Good luck Avs fans...Not really confident about the Leafs chances considering it is a back to back against a good team like the Avs but both teams are hot right now so who knows what will happen.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
The most infuriating part of the proposals is that kadri isn't bad we just don't need him. And then everyone thinks we think he's bad and start ridiculous arguments. But I actually like the team itself.

I think this will be a close game. Both teams are coming in hot.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
Worst excuse? Do you know how many times leafs fans have heard opposing players express their hard on for playing against Toronto? It should motivate the leafs to counter it though.

That could be an excuse for a few games here or there, but to say your team has sucked for years because other teams or players hate the Leafs is obsurd. All teams are hated by people, hence rivalries. The Wings hated the Avs and probably still do, but that didn't stop the two teams from being one of the best rivalries ever, and both were playoff contenders consistantly.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
The most infuriating part of the proposals is that kadri isn't bad we just don't need him. And then everyone thinks we think he's bad and start ridiculous arguments. But I actually like the team itself.

I think this will be a close game. Both teams are coming in hot.

I like the team too, wish we would trade for Cuthbert. But I'm excited for this game, and to light up Reimer. I kinda wish Giguere was playing, so it could be a 7-5 type of game, but I'm happy with 7-2 for us with Varly. :handclap:

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
i do agree that it's not a good excuse for losing but it's true and annoying as ****..just as an example, the leafs have not beat vancouver in something like 10 years, vancouver has been a good team for that stretch but you'd think they would just sleep walk through one of those games in the past 10-12 years? nope, for reasons of hate or love each game against the leafs is a playoff game for the other team, if you are the leafs its hard to bring a playoff mentality for 82 games a year..impossible
Code:
Alex Burrows: 'The Leafs have always been a team I hated'

Inevitably, the Vancouver Canucks always get asked about Toronto.

They haven’t lost at the Air Canada Centre since the 2003-04 season, and their best players always seem to show up for these primetime Saturday night games. On this particular Saturday, it was Alex Burrows who spurred his team to a 5-3 win over the Maple Leafs.

So, the first star of the game was asked: what is it about playing here?

“The Leafs have always been a team I hated as a kid,†he said with a smile. “For some reason, it feels good to play here. … I know a lot of fans in Vancouver don’t like this team, and that makes it extra special.
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/12/17/alex-burrows-the-leafs-have-always-been-a-team-i-hated/

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I hate all the western conference teams, it's much sweeter to beat one of them than a team from the east. Though it is nice knowing the media is watching because I doubt the national media pays any attention otherwise. I feel like the Avs have been a team others have been getting "up" for, why we've had so much trouble against backup goalies.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
"If you REALLY didn't care about the Leafs and the Leaf fans, then you'd be INDIFFERENT "

That's me, I have no interest in Leafs fans other than as fellow fans of our great sport. I grew up a traditional baseball, basketball, football us guy. My love for hockey has been a later in life affair. So my tolerance for odd fellows in East, plus friends in Canada, does extend to the sometimes irrational fans. Where would we be without our friends and brothers from Canada! For myself all east fans save Detroit, lol, are welcome here.

Bluejaysfan*

Thats not mean. Thats what happens when all of your all-stars retire around the same time and the cupboard is left bare for an incompetent coaching staff and head office. But now the cupboard isn't so bare and the head office knows what they're doing. Every team goes through a rebuild every once and a while. Looks like Detroit will this year. I don't see them playoff caliber, though the Blue Jays could lace up the skates and still make it probably, that's how pathetic the east is unfortunately. If Detroit were still in the West they'd have no shot. But I understand what you are saying.

Competition is better but the Leafs would only be 2 points back over either wild card in the West. They have a 10-7-1 record against the West (that extrapolates to about 96 points over a 82 game schedule). Now that I look at it, Only the Pens and the top 4 teams in the Atlantic (Boston, TB, Montreal and Toronto) are having success against he West. All the bottom feeders or 2nd wild card hopefuls are horrible against them.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
In regard to east teams playing against west.....IMO this will moderate slightly as season continues.... But west has several teams that are just playing great, ie ducks etc. and......as teams begin to falter from playoff picture in west, think Nashville unless they can turn around their year, those teams probably will drop a higher percentage against the East. I'm not saying anyone tanks on purpose, but hockey does reward the bottom teams with better picks. See avs last few yeas as examples.
Back to tonight's game, who should we be looking for from our friends on leafs to have good game? Who is hot?

Bluejaysfan*

In regard to east teams playing against west.....IMO this will moderate slightly as season continues.... But west has several teams that are just playing great, ie ducks etc. and......as teams begin to falter from playoff picture in west, think Nashville unless they can turn around their year, those teams probably will drop a higher percentage against the East. I'm not saying anyone tanks on purpose, but hockey does reward the bottom teams with better picks. See avs last few yeas as examples.
Back to tonight's game, who should we be looking for from our friends on leafs to have good game? Who is hot?

Kessel is on fire and Kadri has been great the past 5 games or so and has 5 points in his last 3 games. Gardiner and Rielly have been great since being but together on the same defensive pairing. Bernier has been excellent but you guys will most likely see Reimer, who is no slouch in his own right and is capable of stealing games like he did last year. The big thing for the Avs is to not get into penalty trouble, Leafs PP has been great during their winning streak. This is also one of those games where Lupul tends to wake up and excel but who knows. It would be awesome to have Kessel and Lupul on fire at the same time, but it seems they alternate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad