Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Avs | Tuesday, January 21st 7pm MT | Scouting our future players

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Next game up is the rematch with the Leafs.

Considering we will inevitably ship off either Stastny or O'Reilly for half their roster (just not Kessel, Rielly, Phaneuf or JVR) this will give us a good look at the future of the Avs.

Leafs will come in on the second half of a back to back (Phoenix is Monday night).

PA should be back for this one and hopefully we'll get a new update on Tanguay from practice this week.

DanglesFromDuchene

Sep 8, 2013
I'm torn on whether I want O'Reilly to go off vs Toronto so they get a good idea of what he actually brings or he plays horribly so they just don't want him anymore

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Most Leaf fans believe O'Reilly doesn't have any offensive abilities so let's see him break his career high in goals against them. Give them a show!

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
It will be funny to see O'Reilly with monster offensive game, but I think Leafs fans would say that he just wanted to show himself to future employer :) I think to the list above you can add Kadri > Duchene :)

I really hope we beat them badly tomorrow. Want 5-game winning streak!

calvin0416*

Well, I'm a Torontonian, so the Leafs have been my fav. team my whole life despite the struggles we've had. Colorado Avs became my 2nd fav team this year once Patrick Roy became coach and MacKinnon was drafted :)

I've been watching most of the games for both teams so I'm pretty familiar with every player on both sides. Here's my take on any possible trade ideas:

First off, I know that O'Reilly is asking for a lot (6.5 mil?) and that is pretty hefty to pay someone who has yet to score more than 20 goals in a season, BUT O'Reilly is getting better each year and this year he's obviously going to break the 20 goal mark, and possibly top off at around 30. Not only that, O'Reilly brings a lot of intangibles to the team. He's an incredibly clutch / character player who only seems to get better when the stakes are higher. He's the kind of player every team wants to have in the playoffs. He rises to the occasion, and he seems to have a knack for game winning goals. He's got a tremendous shot, heart, determination, grit, leadership, and seems driven to win or be a winner. I can't seem to put my finger on it, and I don't want to put him on a pedestal just yet, but something keeps telling me he's a "winner". There's just something (intangibles like I said) he has that any team that wants to build a Stanley Cup Championship team needs a guy like O'Reilly. As a Leafs fan first and Avs fan second, I IMPLORE THE AVS to NOT trade O'Reilly (only unless of course you are getting something ridiculously good in return). As a Leafs fan, I would LOVE to have O'Reilly on Toronto and would be willing to give up ANYONE on our team except maybe Kessel, Rielly, and JVR. I really believe if the Avs trade O'Reilly, it will be a mistake. Don Cherrry (Canada's, and probably all of the hockey world's, most experienced and intelligent hockey man) has always loved O'Reilly's game and to this very day still says that he should be the CAPTAIN of the Avs and not Landeskog (I don't fully agree as Landeskog is amazing and reminds me of a Messier type, but I understand what he means...O'Reilly is captain material...he is the heart and soul kind of guy you want to have on your team). If there is anyway to keep him, I would.

Varlamov has been really great this year and I don't think you need to acquire someone to take his spot as #1. He was lights out in the KHL during the lockout last year (best goalie in the KHL at the time).

As I have the benefit of seeing both sides and teams clearly, my objective view for the Avs would be to acquire JVR from toronto IF O'Reilly is going to have to go. JVR has been a guy I've loved in Toronto since we got him, and personally always believed he should or could become captain (but as long as Phaneuf is here, he won't). JVR is an incredibly talented winger with a great shot, excellent passing, nose for the net, long reach and rangy wingspan, great hockey IQ and most admirable is his character and mind. He's only 24 too and would be an excellent complement for either Duchene or MacKinnon at center.

Kadri is an enigmatic player. He has nifty mittens or magic hands as Don Cherry likes to say...and at times can dazzle with sick dekes and plays. But the knock on him is his inconsistency and defensive play. He's improved a bit each year on his giveaways and defensive lapses, but almost 5 years to the day he was drafted by Toronto 7th overall in the 09 draft, he's still yet to establish himself as the #1 center. He may be a late bloomer, but then again, he may never reach the potential everyone had for him. To me, he's a RISKY player to acquire for the Avs. The Avs don't need another center anyways and he's too inconsistent.

Bozak was always one of my favourtie leaf simply because he was one of those "long shots" (underdogs). Undrafted college player (played at U of Denver, Colorado), he was acquired by the leafs in very modest and humble signing. Since day one with Kessel, he's clicked and jelled with him. They are on-ice and off-ice buddies, living together too. His rookie year, Bozak actually led ALL rookies in ppg, even slightly higher than Tavares, but Bozak had not played enough games to qualify for ROY.
Since then, he's improved his stats slightly each year....today, he's become a very dependable and reliable 2-way center....known for his face-off winning percentage, utilized in PKs (has scored some brilliant short-handed goals for Toronto...check them on youtube), and has a lot of speed. He isn't exactly your bonafide number 1 centre, but since he clicks so well with Kessel and JVR, he's always been Toronto's #1 centre. He's been on a hot streak since returning from minor injury...I believe his stats are about 23 points in 26 games this year which is outstanding.

But again, he's a center and Avs don't need him, unless you want to use him as your 3rd line center which I think he'd be one of the best 3rd line centers in the NHL then.

As far as Dmen goes, which is the Avs sort of need, Leafs do not have a veteran/experienced dman for you unless you wanted Phaneuf, but Leafs won't part ways with Phaneuf. Franson is alright....he's more of an offensive minded Dman and I think he would be the best fit for the Avs. Gardiner is a smooth skating offensive dman also who seems to finally be coming into his own, but still has inconsistent lapses. He's always been highly touted since being drafted 17th overall in '08.

Morgan Rielly, is the Leafs best prospect and there's probably NO WAY Leafs will part with him as he is believed to become a top 1 or 2 dman and allstar in the NHL.

Someone like Carl Gunnarsson might be of some benefit for the Avs. He's one of those steady and quiet dmen, rarely makes mistakes, but he's not flashy, doesn't score much, isn't exactly a tough dman...he's just really smooth....good skater, good passer, goes about his business and you hardly notice him (which for a dman is often said to be a GOOD THING if u don't notice him...it means he's not goofing up). Gunners is still just 27, and he could also be a good piece for the Avs on the blueline.

If Avs are looking for 3rd-4th line strong roleplayers...I can only recommend Kulemin and McClement. McClement is our best face off man, and our best PK player. Kulemin is a workhorse....once scored 30 goals inthe NHL, but hasn't come close to that since, but he's always been praised by all coaches Leafs had as a tremendously strong 2-way player...very disciplined, strong checking forward with speed and the ability to score if given the chance. Again, he too is only 27. He played in the KHL during the lockout on a line with Malkin and some other russian dude and they formed arguably the best line in the KHL during that lockout (they scored a massive amount of goals).

Just some of my thoughts.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
No on trading Ror,
We probably will not trade anyone and simply go shopping for dmen after season. This should be a big momentum game, why am I so concerned?

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
It's a back-to-back game for the Leafs, there is no excuse if the Avs lose.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It's a back-to-back game for the Leafs, there is no excuse if the Avs lose.

Leafs never start the same goalie on back to back nights. Bernier should get the nod tonight so we likely see Reimer tomorrow.
Varly has played a lot lately but hopefully he still gets the nod since there's a little break between Saturday and Tuesday.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
So... instaloss?

Forfeit.

The Avs players refuse to play if Bozak is on the ice. The players are citing concerns of serious injury or even death as they fear Bozak will post three consecutive Gordie Howe hattricks, also known as the Bozak² hatrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad