Pre-Game Talk: Leafs at Senators - Who will suck more in December?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
If we trade or let go of Conacher it'll be at his all time low value.

Might not be the best fit with the Sens but compared to Zibanejad, Conacher has 2 more points in 4 more games played over their NHL career.

Not that big of a gap if you ask me. He's in a slump and it's not like he doesn't have other things to contribute.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
If we trade or let go of Conacher it'll be at his all time low value.

Might not be the best fit with the Sens but compared to Zibanejad, Conacher has 2 more points in 4 more games played over their NHL career.

Not that big of a gap if you ask me. He's in a slump and it's not like he doesn't have other things to contribute.

Zibanejad never got to play with Stamkos, St. Louis, and Lecalvier

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
Zibanejad never got to play with Stamkos, St. Louis, and Lecalvier

Conacher got his points spending equal with those not named Stamkos, St. Louis, or Lecavalier either.
Lot of people forget that Conacher was playing and producing on the 2nd, 3rd lines as well.

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
Conacher got his points spending equal with those not named Stamkos, St. Louis, or Lecavalier either.
Lot of people forget that Conacher was playing and producing on the 2nd, 3rd lines as well.

According to his ice-time stats, Conacher's most common linemates in Tampa were:
1. Stamkos
2. Purcell
3. MSL
4. Lecavalier
5. Malone

Source below. He also accumulated 12 of his 24pts with the Lightning in the first 7 games of the season, when most players were just getting back to playing organized hockey while Conacher had been playing in the AHL for 36 games.

In the rest of the season, Conacher amassed 17pts in 40gp, while still spending significant time with Stamkos and MSL for ~10 of those games. He was eventually demoted to the 2nd, and later 3rd, lines for TBL as his play declined.

http://hockey.dobbersports.com/froz...13:R:99&Submit=Show+Line+Combinations&sent=go

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Not seeing alot of optimism here...

Isn't this the same team that came back against Boston earlier this year?

That's something us Leafs only dream about happening.

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
Not seeing alot of optimism here...

Isn't this the same team that came back against Boston earlier this year?

That's something us Leafs only dream about happening.

The hockey gods used us to stiffen the Bruins' resolve and teach them not to underestimate weak opponents.

The Bruins are the protagonists of the eastern conference, we are but a pawn in this narrative.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
According to his ice-time stats, Conacher's most common linemates in Tampa were:
1. Stamkos
2. Purcell
3. MSL
4. Lecavalier
5. Malone

Source below. He also accumulated 12 of his 24pts with the Lightning in the first 7 games of the season, when most players were just getting back to playing organized hockey while Conacher had been playing in the AHL for 36 games.

In the rest of the season, Conacher amassed 17pts in 40gp, while still spending significant time with Stamkos and MSL for ~10 of those games. He was eventually demoted to the 2nd, and later 3rd, lines for TBL as his play declined.

http://hockey.dobbersports.com/froz...13:R:99&Submit=Show+Line+Combinations&sent=go

So using this intense detailed data we are to assume you get more points playing with better players:sarcasm: I would have never thought !

Milan the God*

The Sens are in a tough position now. Eight points back of the Leafs for the final wildcard spot. A weak Eastern Conference, Tampa Bay losing Stamkos and us not playing to our potential is the only reasons we could have a shot at turning the season around and making the playoffs. But we have to start winning games like the one against Tampa Bay and Toronto.

The Leafs have Boston, LA, St. Louis as their next three games.
The Sens have Philadelphia, Buffalo and Buffalo as their next three games.

We should be able to make up some of those eight points in the next three games. Philadelphia we've lost twice to...but they're very beatable if we show up to play. Buffalo twice should be two wins...they're the bottom team in the NHL.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
The Sens are in a tough position now. Eight points back of the Leafs for the final wildcard spot. A weak Eastern Conference, Tampa Bay losing Stamkos and us not playing to our potential is the only reasons we could have a shot at turning the season around and making the playoffs. But we have to start winning games like the one against Tampa Bay and Toronto.

The Leafs have Boston, LA, St. Louis as their next three games.
The Sens have Philadelphia, Buffalo and Buffalo as their next three games.

We should be able to make up some of those eight points in the next three games. Philadelphia we've lost twice to...but they're very beatable if we show up to play. Buffalo twice should be two wins...they're the bottom team in the NHL.

not only does the team need to get some wins while toronto loses but our goaltending needs to be way better all of a sudden while toronto's need to suddenly start sucking the rest of the season. good luck to us. i will still cheer.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
It don't want to be negative but 8 points behind with four teams ahead of you chasing the last wild card spot is a HUGE task. Very soon it's time to give the young guys a real shot and really see what they can do with a prolonged opportunity. NOT 4 minutes like Hoffman got last night. Not the 8 minutes Pageau averaged, and not playing from 1st line to 4th line on a nightly basis that Conacher has played. Let Weir and Gryba play every night instead or taking turns being healthy scratches. Just MO:)

Milan the God*

not only does the team need to get some wins while toronto loses but our goaltending needs to be way better all of a sudden while toronto's need to suddenly start sucking the rest of the season. good luck to us. i will still cheer.

Toronto's goaltending is pretty inconsistent. The last two games they were good, yes. But a week ago Bernier let in five goals to Pittsburgh plus two shootout goals. Reimer let in six goals to Columbus.

Hockey is a team game. Last night we may have "out-played" Toronto, but Reimer out-played Anderson and the Leafs won. Toronto's goaltending is good, but they're having a hard time scoring even strength goals.

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
So using this intense detailed data we are to assume you get more points playing with better players:sarcasm: I would have never thought !

You seem to have misunderstood the point of the data I posted. It was intended to refute the notion that Conacher played equal time with Stamkos, MSL, et al. as he did with 2nd and 3rd line players on the TBL (as alleged by Super Six). I was merely presenting the numbers to allow others to make their own informed judgments of Conacher on the basis of fact. Notice that I did not offer any concluding remarks about Conacher.

I also observed while collecting this information that Conacher's statline for the season was extremely skewed towards the first part of the season:

First 7gp: 12pts
Last 40gp: 17pts

I decided to include this little bit of information as it seems pertinent to evaluating Conacher's performance for two reasons:

1. This was the period where Stamkos and MSL were his primary linemates (the point of the original discussion)
2. Conacher had a competitive advantage over NHLers as he had been playing intense, meaningful hockey in the AHL and was in game-shape

The much larger, 40 game sample size is also far more relevant than a span of 7gp at an elite level that Conacher has not shown since. If what you've gleaned from this is simply that, "you get more points playing with better players," then that's your prerogative, but I'd encourage you to look deeper into the numbers.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
You seem to have misunderstood the point of the data I posted. It was intended to refute the notion that Conacher played equal time with Stamkos, MSL, et al. as he did with 2nd and 3rd line players on the TBL (as alleged by Super Six). I was merely presenting the numbers to allow others to make their own informed judgments of Conacher on the basis of fact. Notice that I did not offer any concluding remarks about Conacher.

I also observed while collecting this information that Conacher's statline for the season was extremely skewed towards the first part of the season:

First 7gp: 12pts
Last 40gp: 17pts

I decided to include this little bit of information as it seems pertinent to evaluating Conacher's performance for two reasons:

1. This was the period where Stamkos and MSL were his primary linemates (the point of the original discussion)
2. Conacher had a competitive advantage over NHLers as he had been playing intense, meaningful hockey in the AHL and was in game-shape

The much larger, 40 game sample size is also far more relevant than a span of 7gp at an elite level that Conacher has not shown since. If what you've gleaned from this is simply that, "you get more points playing with better players," then that's your prerogative, but I'd encourage you to look deeper into the numbers.

Sorry just think I'm more old school. Conacher can put up big points when he doesn't have to concern himself with defense. This year he has been very tilted toward improving his defensive game and this has severely hampered his ability to produce offence. The key now is his ability to marry the two together. I think I just get sick of the Stamkos St.Louis thing. OF COARSE you score more playing with those guys, I just find it funny how people ( not you) repeat it like a bunch of parrots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad