Post-Game Talk: Leafs at Buffalo 7:00 p.m. SN, SN1 {Post game Pg 26)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Buffalo playing their 'A' team and loses to Matthews, Marleau, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Freddy, and the Marlies. Lmao.

We field a balanced group among the two squads. JT line and Kadri line on one team, Matty and 4th line on the other. Matty's team has our starter. So it's not like we fielded an AHL lineup like Buffalo did the previous game.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Gotta come to camp ready and make the pre season count. If you're waiver exempt and not meeting or exceeding expectations... Have fun in the A most likely. We have guys we could lose for nothing looking like they want a job out there.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Well he sure is testing that thought process as he has been bad thus far.

He's a rookie, playing on a line of rookies, as the teams shutdown line against their opponents best. Things will look different when they're the 4th line playing against 4th liners.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
People forget that the Johnsson-Lindholm-Kappy line was tasked with the Reinhart-Eichel-Skinner line for the game tonight. You can't expect them to dominate against that line. I thought they did well considering they are our 4th line. It will be the best 4th line in the league.
Lol, at those suggesting we cut Kappy, Johnsson and Dermott. They are important to this team. Look at our record once Dermott and Kappy joined the team last season. A couple of pre-season games don't change that.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
He's a rookie, playing on a line of rookies, as the teams shutdown line against their opponents best. Things will look different when they're the 4th line playing against 4th liners.
Well he is proving he can't handle facing top lines...

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
People forget that the Johnsson-Lindholm-Kappy line was tasked with the Reinhart-Eichel-Skinner line for the game tonight. You can't expect them to dominate against that line. I thought they did well considering they are our 4th line. It will be the best 4th line in the league.
Lol, at those suggesting we cut Kappy, Johnsson and Dermott. They are important to this team. Look at our record once Dermott and Kappy joined the team last season. A couple of pre-season games don't change that.

Maybe not, but what does change it is we have non waiver exempt guys looking like they earned a shot. Leivo as is looks like he has a good shot and just needs another good showing.

Dubas does not like giving up assets for nothing, that I know. He believes in converting anything and everything he can into something.

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Not sure what you are saying?

he was matching against Matthews most of the time, not easy for a rookie guy to come up against

defensemen take time to mold, they literally have way more to learn about the game than a forward

lots of good defensemen don't peak till their 28ish and don't start becoming good till about 25ish

Rielly at 18 and Rielly now is a huge difference

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
But if both Sparks and Picard get nabbed on waivers and Andersen goes down you are left with 35 year old Mac and Kaskisuo as your NHL tandem. You like them apples? Wouldn't it be better to find a way to determine if Sparks is ready? Does this team need a 14th forward or 8th defenseman as much as it needs a better combination of players than M & K should something happen?
If you believe Sparks is NHL starter material then when does he get a full time job? He isn't gunning to be a lifetime back-up...or is he? Mac can fill in for Freddy,that much is proven. I doubt they gamble on Sparks.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Who said he could? Its not like he's got a #1 center to lean on like the wingers playing with Matthews, Tavares and Kadri do.
I was just kidding...

It's alright that he is not playing well in pre season. He is virtually guaranteed a spot on the team anyways

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
But if both Sparks and Picard get nabbed on waivers and Andersen goes down you are left with 35 year old Mac and Kaskisuo as your NHL tandem. You like them apples? Wouldn't it be better to find a way to determine if Sparks is ready? Does this team need a 14th forward or 8th defenseman as much as it needs a better combination of players than M & K should something happen?
Then you go and pick up a guy. This is the time for Sparks to show he's ready. Finding out if he can take the job in front of him.

And yeah if something happens then you run with McBackup. That's his job if they decide he's the backup this year. You think if Sparks and Pickard both get picked up that the Leafs don't make a move to trade for a guy already in the AHL as insurance? They didn't really need to get Pickard when he became available, but they made the move and made sure they had options.

Personally I don't think it's a big deal whoever they carry on this roster as an extra. But clearly the Leafs haven't minded having an extra forward or D sitting around for most of the season doing nothing. If they want to do the same with a goalie that's fine. Butt I think Sparks/Pickard if they are kept around for that role are going to get even less chance to prove they are ready than say Leivo has over the past few years.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yes but seriously he was invisible for the most part turned the puck over at the Offensive blue line with a big fat pizza and does not look fast like he did last year.
Lindholm checked their best player and was the best player on that line and he has no NHL experience. Johnson is still a rookie and I get that but seriously he needs to step it up some.

I laughed this summer reading on here how many people want him to play with Mathews. People attacking Hyman and etc and then camp starts and he has been below average thus far.

Hey I know he is going to be fine there is no doubt but he is going to play 4th line until he proves he is better then those ahead of him.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
he was matching against Matthews most of the time, not easy for a rookie guy to come up against

defensemen take time to mold, they literally have way more to learn about the game than a forward

lots of good defensemen don't peak till their 28ish and don't start becoming good till about 25ish

Rielly at 18 and Rielly now is a huge difference
I wasn't saying Dahlin isn't going to be a great player. I was simply saying that some in our fanbase and most in other fanbases crucify our young D, especially Liljegren, when he makes an aggressive play and it gets turned over and go on about how many years away they are, whereas Dahlin played a game tonight exponentially more brutal than anything our criticized young D have played and gets excuses made for him by many.

Reactions: stickty111 and zeke

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I wasn't saying Dahlin isn't going to be a great player. I was simply saying that some in our fanbase and most in other fanbases crucify our young D, especially Liljegren, when he makes an aggressive play and it gets turned over and go on about how many years away they are, whereas Dahlin played a game tonight exponentially more brutal than anything our criticized young D have played and gets excuses made for him by many.
Personally speaking I was not one of those people trying to make any excuses for how bad Dahlin played tonight.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Then you go and pick up a guy. This is the time for Sparks to show he's ready. Finding out if he can take the job in front of him.

And yeah if something happens then you run with McBackup. That's his job if they decide he's the backup this year. You think if Sparks and Pickard both get picked up that the Leafs don't make a move to trade for a guy already in the AHL as insurance? They didn't really need to get Pickard when he became available, but they made the move and made sure they had options.

Personally I don't think it's a big deal whoever they carry on this roster as an extra. But clearly the Leafs haven't minded having an extra forward or D sitting around for most of the season doing nothing. If they want to do the same with a goalie that's fine. Butt I think Sparks/Pickard if they are kept around for that role are going to get even less chance to prove they are ready than say Leivo has over the past few years.
Pickard has been great and I hope he clears waivers as he has lots of NHL experience and if something happens to Freddy we will need him.

Rich247

Sep 28, 2014
That's what he said but the way he said it was pure Babcock.
Why can't Babcock ever saying nothing good about bracco. What does he want the kid to do with such little playing time? Seems like he is getting only three to four shifts per period. Heard the kid doesn't go to the dirty area well however his goal tonight disproved that. Heard he can't score however he has two goals in two games. Wait until he gets on a better line and watch his assists go up. Love him and brooks together someday there going to be a top line. Hope they both rip it up in the ahl this year and prove that they belong in the nhl, even if Babcock doesn't want him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce