Post-Game Talk: Leafs at Buffalo 7:00 p.m. SN, SN1 {Post game Pg 26)

Status
Not open for further replies.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
They might go with 8 D to start the season likely keeping at least one of Rosen, Holl or Carrick. However I strongly doubt that both Carrick and Holl will make the team. One is on the way out.

Based on pre-season performance my guess is Carrick.

The top 7 right now are

Rielly, Hainsey
Gardiner, Zaitsev
Dermott, Ozhiganov
Borgman, ?
Rosen

Send waiver's exempt Kapanen down, put Hyman in his spot... and put Gardiner back on forward as the #1 LW.
Problems solved. :confused::D:eek:

Gardiner/Tavares/Marner
Marleau/Matthews/Ennis
Leivo/Kadri/Brown
Johnsson/Lindholm/Hyman
Rielly/Hainsey
Dermott/Zaitsev
Borgman/Ozhiganov
Rosen

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Send waiver's exempt Kapanen down, put Hyman in his spot... and put Gardiner back on forward as the #1 LW.
Problems solved. :confused::D:eek:

Gardiner/Tavares/Marner
Marleau/Matthews/Ennis
Leivo/Kadri/Brown
Johnsson/Lindholm/Hyman
Rielly/Hainsey
Dermott/Zaitsev
Borgman/Ozhiganov
Rosen
I don't think Kapanen is waiver exempt.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I got a real Darcy Tucker vibe from Clark. Obviously not offensively, but attitude and hair.
Babs likes him and why not. Kid takes no prisoners and plays for keeps. A welcome addition to the Marlies this season and I would not be shocked to see him up for a game or two this season.

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Why can't Babcock ever saying nothing good about bracco. What does he want the kid to do with such little playing time? Seems like he is getting only three to four shifts per period. Heard the kid doesn't go to the dirty area well however his goal tonight disproved that. Heard he can't score however he has two goals in two games. Wait until he gets on a better line and watch his assists go up. Love him and brooks together someday there going to be a top line. Hope they both rip it up in the ahl this year and prove that they belong in the nhl, even if Babcock doesn't want him.
Brooks will not be a NHL player for the Leafs and I think Babcock likes Bracco would like him to work harder in season and off season. Sure seems fair to me. No one said that Bracco will not go to the net as he always has, seems it may be you with the narritive that Babcock does not like him.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Brooks will not be a NHL player for the Leafs and I think Babcock likes Bracco would like him to work harder in season and off season. Sure seems fair to me. No one said that Bracco will not go to the net as he always has, seems it may be you with the narritive that Babcock does not like him.
I've thought Brooks has looked pretty good.

Reactions: Critical91

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
He has looked good but who is he going to play ahead of. I think Clarke has looked far better but again who is he going to beat out.
Oh I wasn't talking about for this season.

Brooks was an AHL rookie last year and although he started slow, got better and better as the season progressed. He played a large role in the playoffs. My point was that I wouldn't be surprised to see him take the 4th line role in the next two seasons.

Of course, during that time we would also be bringing in other new players that he would be competing with.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Sparks outplayed Pickard on the Marlies last year by a significant margin. However in their career numbers at the NHL level Pickard has been better. It’s a tough call.
Sparks is a good AHL goalie but thus far in the NHL has looked out of his League. Pickard has looked better when facing NHL players.

I am hoping Pickard clears Waivers as he is looking like a NHL goalie once again.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
How did the Kappy-Linholm-Johnsson line look tonight?

I separated the efforts of the line into 1)Par and 2)kappy/aj

Par played very well for the whole game no complaints at all

the other pair of aj/kappy were invisible/no effort or chances in the first. The 2nd period the first half same thing no effort. Mid 2nd period to the end of it they were skating little better and had a few good shifts. 3rd period was decent for them. Not even close to where we want them to be or they should be but the later half of the game was at least a little bit better. Still not impressed, especially with kappy.

On the flip side trevor moore looks like a nhl player right now albeit a 4th liner.

Reactions: diceman934

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I separated the efforts of the line into 1)Par and 2)kappy/aj

Par played very well for the whole game no complaints at all

the other pair of aj/kappy were invisible/no effort or chances in the first. The 2nd period the first half same thing no effort. Mid 2nd period to the end of it they were skating little better and had a few good shifts. 3rd period was decent for them. Not even close to where we want them to be or they should be but the later half of the game was at least a little bit better. Still not impressed, especially with kappy.

On the flip side trevor moore looks like a nhl player right now albeit a 4th liner.

Trevor Moore could get games this year. He was very noticeable in a positive way for the Marlies in the playoffs and if Lindholm gets hurt, I could see him getting the call before the Goat.

Reactions: DoobieDubas

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Truly amazing the sort of leash that Hyman, Brown and others have.

Johnsson and Kapanen have two bad PRESEASON games and people are ready to send them down.

Meanwhile Hyman and Brown can disappear for large portions of the year and produce nothing and what consequences come????

Johnsson and Kap should be playing with Kadri to start the year and be given at least 10-15 games aka a much shorter leash that was afforded to ahl trash like Komarov last year.

Reactions: NCoRe

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
tbh the sabres don't have to worry about Dahlin.

but they should worry that Eichel still looks like the same floater as always.

Reactions: diceman934

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Brown has been pretty invisible so far.

I can see Kadri getting frustrated with him if he continues to be an offensive black hole. Johnsson may be better suited beside Kadri with Brown on the 4th line.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
The leafs are going to be pretty scary when both JT and Matthews play at the same time.

Matchup hell.

If dermott and guys like Rosen and ozhiganov become what they could be you may not even have to acquire that top Dman

I haven't checked the Sabres forum but I imagine they're rattled.

Was that not basically their full team?

It was mostly the full roster. The third and fourth lines not at all but the defense, goaltending and top two lines outside mittlestadt, Pominville were pretty spot on.

But seriously? Getting rattled over a preseason game where you lose 3-2 to Toronto a team that many are predicting to win the presidents trophy, even if they were without many of their great players is silly. Scores and standing mean nothing in the preseason, only individual performances do. (I’d be saying this even if buffalo was 4-0, they beat two playoff teams in pens and jackets before losing two close games to Toronto.) It can build confidence having a good record but I’ve watched hockey for a long time and have seen bad teams go 6-1 then lose 9 of there first ten in the reg season for example.

Toronto more-so (even by leaf fans admission) sort of split their roster half and half, where as the sabres loaded it more for last nights game. If you’re suggesting the leafs roster was bad last night (even with Matthews and starting goalie) then the team the night before should of won convincingly against the even worse sabres, that was not even close to as good of a roster (buf on Friday) as the leafs last night if that’s what you’re indeed suggesting. The score shouldn’t of been close if that’s the case. It was 3-3 in the third and an empty netter made fridays final 5-3. But I’m sure you’re not rattled about this. So case in point, no one gets rattled this early in the preseason unless something is completely awful beyond recognition. Dissapoinred a bit, but not rattled.

I think buffalo will be bottom ten and Toronto top 5 , but I can assure you no one is “rattled” at the 3-2 preseason loss.

Your probably trolling but he set up over six good scoring chances last night. I didn’t count it was probably closer to ten that could hve resulted in something he was always on the attack. Every time he was on the ice he was making something happen.

He even got two points. So not sure where your going with this. Anyone with eyes saw he played well. Not spectacular but well. He didn’t get a good shot off on one play but that’s literally the only bad thing he did. He won important faceoffs, made crisp passes, generated scoring chances, was as always great with speed in transition. Eichel could of got a few more and had a five point game and you’d probably still say this zeke.

Yeah, we’re really worried about eichel and Dahlin. What we will do having those guys in the team?

Last edited:

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
There are 2 spots open.
Dermott Holl Oz on team.
Leivo and Enis on team.
The Euro 4th line is finalized all on team.
Freddy and MAC on team.
Nylander? unless he drops his demands then he will sit as Leafs not upping offer.
12 Fs, 7ds and 2gs picked. 2 spots left.

Rosen has best chance for next spot.

Cracknell if nylander does not sign gets last spot over Goat. He is getting 1 more game but i think he was told today he better make it his best game ever.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
The leafs are going to be pretty scary when both JT and Matthews play at the same time.

Matchup hell.

It was mostly the full roster. The third and fourth lines not at all but the defense, goaltending and top two lines outside mittlestadt, Pominville were pretty spot on.

But seriously? Getting rattled over a preseason game where you lose 3-2 to Toronto a team that many are predicting to win the presidents trophy, even if they were without many of their great players is silly. Scores and standing mean nothing in the preseason, only individual performances do. (I’d be saying this even if buffalo was 4-0, they beat two playoff teams in pens and jackets before losing two close games to Toronto.) It can build confidence having a good record but I’ve watched hockey for a long time and have seen bad teams go 6-1 then lose 9 of there first ten in the reg season for example.

Toronto sort of split there roster half and half where as the sabres loaded it more for last nights game.

I think buffalo will be bottom ten and Toronto too , but I can assure you no one is “rattled” at the 3-2 preseason loss.

Your probably trolling but he set up over six good scoring chances last night. Every time he was on the ice he was making something happen.

He even got two points. So not sure where your going with this. Anyone with eyes saw he played well. Not spectacular but well. He didn’t get a good shot off on one play but that’s literally the only bad thing he did. He won imoortant faceoffs, made crisp passes, generated scoring chances, was as always great in transition. Eichel could of got a few more and had a five point game and you’d say this zeke.

Yeah, we’re really worried about eichel and Dahlin. What we will do having those guys in the team?

Mikeyg doesn’t speak for everyone here, and I wouldn’t put much stock into anything he says about the Leafs.

Dahlin was the consensus number 1 pick and he should be a key part of your rebuild.

I’m not putting any stock into an 18 year olds preseason game and first exposure to NHL speed, against grown men. Anyone who doesn’t expect him to struggle isn’t being fair to the kid.

Kid has an incredible opportunity to be an important and impactful player for you guys, and I hope the Sabres are looking at his long term development vs. short term immediate plug into the lineup.

D-men take longer to cook, and for his long term development that they let him develop at his pace, so that when he’s ready, then he’s ready.

Until then, he has a tonne of potential that he still needs to hit....... and he won’t hit it by the end of preseason.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Mikeyg doesn’t speak for everyone here, and I wouldn’t put much stock into anything he says about the Leafs.

Dahlin was the consensus number 1 pick and he should be a key part of your rebuild.

I’m not putting any stock into an 18 year olds preseason game and first exposure to NHL speed, against grown men. Anyone who doesn’t expect him to struggle isn’t being fair to the kid.

Kid has an incredible opportunity to be an important and impactful player for you guys, and I hope the Sabres are looking at his long term development vs. short term immediate plug into the lineup.

D-men take longer to cook, and for his long term development that they let him develop at his pace, so that when he’s ready, then he’s ready.

Until then, he has a tonne of potential that he still needs to hit....... and he won’t hit it by the end of preseason.

I appreciate that and I agree.

I’m not just blindly defending our guy either, it’s just after pens fans kept raving about him last game where he was great and then in this one of course he was rather poor. I just more or less wanted to tell people this wasn’t his first game and it’s not all bad.

But I agree with everything you said, good to hear this!

You guys are an intimidating team there’s no way around that.

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Matchup hell.

If dermott and guys like Rosen and ozhiganov become what they could be you may not even have to acquire that top Dman

Toronto more-so (even by leaf fans admission) sort of split their roster half and half, where as the sabres loaded it more for last nights game. If you’re suggesting the leafs roster was bad last night (even with Matthews and starting goalie) then the team the night before should of won convincingly against the even worse sabres, that was not even close to as good of a roster (buf on Friday) as the leafs last night if that’s what you’re indeed suggesting. The score shouldn’t of been close if that’s the case. It was 3-3 in the third and an empty netter made fridays final 5-3. But I’m sure you’re not rattled about this. So case in point, no one gets rattled this early in the preseason unless something is completely awful beyond recognition. Dissapoinred a bit, but not rattled.

I think buffalo will be bottom ten and Toronto top 5 , but I can assure you no one is “rattled” at the 3-2 preseason loss.

Your probably trolling but he set up over six good scoring chances last night. I didn’t count it was probably closer to ten that could hve resulted in something he was always on the attack. Every time he was on the ice he was making something happen.

He even got two points. So not sure where your going with this. Anyone with eyes saw he played well. Not spectacular but well. He didn’t get a good shot off on one play but that’s literally the only bad thing he did. He won important faceoffs, made crisp passes, generated scoring chances, was as always great with speed in transition. Eichel could of got a few more and had a five point game and you’d probably still say this zeke.

He was not trolling at all. As long as he was going on the offence he played well but once the puck headed south he stopped skating and did not work that hard. He played against out 4th line last night and truly was not all that impressive. He shift lengths were long as they were in most games that I saw him play last year which is a clear indication of his play last night.

Ps this is the Leaf forum if he was trolling he would have posted on the Sabres forum. Calling anyone a troll when you visits another teams forum....not advisable.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
He was not trolling at all. As long as he was going on the offence he played well but once the puck headed south he stopped skating and did not work that hard. He played against out 4th line last night and truly was not all that impressive. He shift lengths were long as they were in most games that I saw him play last year which is a clear indication of his play last night.

Ps this is the Leaf forum if he was trolling he would have posted on the Sabres forum. Calling anyone a troll when you visits another teams forum....not advisable.

2nd line. I saw that when they showed the lineups as the second line unless your saying that line got the least amount of ice time. Considering they went up against buffalos line I highly doubt that was the fourth line last night. Especially when your projecting both wingers to be on your third line.

But yeah, good to see you noticed he did well whenever on the attack, that’s without a doubt a fact. I got a good laugh when they made skinner the lone sabres star (not that they matter in pre-season) I didn’t notice him at all other then one other time after his tap in goal.

Yeah, your right though. He should of backchecked like a mad-man in this blowout loss. Maybe block a couple shots in the process, ya know risk spraining his ankle a third time in his first four years. It would be ridiculous for him to go all World in that way, he didn’t do anything to lead to a goal against yet set up the the only goals buffalo got. (A constant with him)

But let’s ignore the half dozen chances he got and two points, and focus on how he didn’t backcheck like a selke candidate in a preseason 3-2 loss. Not at all surprised, for all the hate you guys say Matthews gets you sure like to really reach sometimes just to support the hate.

Oh well as you said about the other guy “trolling” this is your thread y’all can say wat you want. I just thought was leaving my thoughts, want the season to start.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
2nd line. I saw that when they showed the lineups as the second line unless your saying that line got the least amount of ice time. Considering they went up against buffalos line I highly doubt that was the fourth line last night. Especially when your projecting both wingers to be on your third line.

But yeah, good to see you noticed he did well whenever on the attack, that’s without a doubt a fact. I got a good laugh when they made skinner the lone sabres star (not that they matter in pre-season) I didn’t notice him at all other then one other time after his tap in goal.

Yeah, your right though. He should of backchecked like a mad-man in this blowout loss. Maybe block a couple shots in the process, ya know risk spraining his ankle a third time in his first four years. It would be ridiculous for him to go all World in that way, he didn’t do anything to lead to a goal against yet set up the the only goals buffalo got. (A constant with him)

But let’s ignore the half dozen chances he got and two points, and focus on how he didn’t backcheck like a selke candidate in a preseason 3-2 loss. Not at all surprised, for all the hate you guys say Matthews gets you sure like to really reach sometimes just to support the hate.

Oh well as you said about the other guy “trolling” this is your thread y’all can say wat you want. I just thought was leaving my thoughts, want the season to start.
He never back checks and is a huge piece of work.

He played against our 4th line period. Not that hard to understand and one last thing stay off the Leafs board.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Sabres need Eichel to have a monumental season to even sniff a wild-card.

They're weak as hell down the middle. You got Eichel and then what? ROR got traded for an eerily low return. Patrik Berglund is a plugger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad