Post-Game Talk: Leafs at Buffalo 7:00 p.m. SN, SN1 {Post game Pg 26)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
when is subban playing?

Not sure. Sorry I can't answer that question, but I was hoping to see him in one game. Is he a career ahler? Anyone know? Or will he eventually have a legitimate shot? Seems we have a big log jam of depth now on d at those bottom spots. Good situation to have though.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

People have misinterpreted this quote. Babcock doesnt mean he only likes players that speak english.
He is saying the players who speak the language, and have been in the organization should be ahead of the players getting used to everything.

Its clear he is talking about Carrick with guys like Oz outplaying him.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

People have misinterpreted this quote. Babcock doesnt mean he only likes players that speak english.
He is saying the players who speak the language, and have been in the organization should be ahead of the players getting used to everything.

Yeah and I agree with him. I really expected more from Carrick but he's played himself off the team as far as I'm concerned. Holl looked good though

Reactions: stickty111

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009

Agreed that this was his intention.

Oz shouldnt be stepping into Pre-Season to a new country, a new team, a new system and relatively new language and already being more effective in that system just by watching film and going thru practice drills and a couple pre-season games.

It just goes to show how intelligent Oz is when it comes to hockey IQ, and the rest will follow.

Babs intent is to put pressure on the likes of Carrick, Holl and Marincin.

But I dont think it matters, Oz is just a superior player.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Look at Nikita Zaitsev's rookie season with the Leafs. I don't think he spoke a lot of english and he made the team.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Yup agreed. It seems like Oz so far is the type of D man we need. It's only pre season though. Hearing Babs say that is really telling though obviously.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Hows Ozhiganov looking so far in camp?

He's only played in one pre-season game. He looked good in that game. Not spectacular or anything crazy like that... but he looks to be what we hoped he would be so far. It's way too early to tell what we have. But so far so good. Confirmed nice shot at the very least. Rosen also played very well that game too.

Reactions: LMFAO

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Carrick winning the award for most in shape... And that clip were he never missed a workout over the summer including his on his wedding day has got to make a difference to the coaching staff

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Carrick winning the award for most in shape... And that clip were he never missed a workout over the summer including his on his wedding day has got to make a difference to the coaching staff
Yes but unfortunately he should have spent more time playing hockey I guess. He looks bad

Reactions: crump

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
This is a big game for the young D that want to break camp with the big club.

Buffalo has a bunch of their star forwards out for the game tonight. Will be a real test for Borg / Rosen / Oz / Holl

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think we will. I'm pretty sure big cuts are coming after this game to make it close to our regular season roster

I'd imagine they'll get the last game against Detroit. Babs will probably start icing our full lineup the next 3 games to determine the last few spots and develop some line chemistry and then a Marlies heavy lineup on the road in Detroit on Saturday.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Look at Nikita Zaitsev's rookie season with the Leafs. I don't think he spoke a lot of english and he made the team.

That's a fair point. A difference to me though is the current team is definitely ahead of that team going into each of the respective seasons. Spots should be tougher to obtain on a better team, unless there are cap related considerations involved. Zaitsev might have also been more NHL ready as well compared to any of the current incoming crop. I think Babcock's quote indicates that the player(s) with organizational tenure is/are ahead going into the season based on what they've done, but as the new faces adapt and prove their worth, they can pull ahead over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad