Rumor: Leafs are searching for a GM and coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm sure Babcock is speaking to quite a few teams. Not sure how this is news? Personally I would not be heartbroken if he goes somewhere else. I see there being quite a few good coaches our there to be happy or disappointed on waiting for Babs to make a decision.

I think this team needs a GM before a Coach.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'm sure Babcock is speaking to quite a few teams. Not sure how this is news? Personally I would not be heartbroken if he goes somewhere else. I see there being quite a few good coaches our there to be happy or disappointed on waiting for Babs to make a decision.

I think this team needs a GM before a Coach.

I totally agree with you, and definitely we need a GM before a coach

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I totally agree with you, and definitely we need a GM before a coach

A decision as big as this one. Obcourse our future GM should have imput on who the coach is.

why do you think so?

It only makes sense. Leafs always do things backward don't they?

Shanahan inheriting Carlyle and Nonis

Burke inherting Wilson.

Maybe you hire a President first, then a GM/VP then they jointly hire a team of Assistant Execs, and a coach so everyone is on the same page.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
As the coach can be hired before training camp but its better to have a GM in place before June draft

If I were a free agent, I would like to know who my coach was before I signed. Which would mean, you'd like to ideally have a coach before July 1st. (which is three days after draft)

A decision as big as this one. Obcourse our future GM should have imput on who the coach is.

Burke inherting Wilson.

Maybe you hire a President first, then a GM/VP then they jointly hire a team of Assistant Execs, and a coach so everyone is on the same page.

(shrug). or. Treliving inheriting Hartley (and extending him). it doesn't have to be backwards. It is backward because people decide it has to be backward.

I will ask again.

if say [insert the coach you 100 percent want, you can choose] is available tomorrow and you know this coach will hit every single note, teaching, demands accountability, will be a great communicator, the whole kit and kaboodle, are you honestly saying, that you would say no to the coach - because we don't have permission to hire [insert the GM that you 100 percent want] yet? And you know that there is another team hot for the coach you want?

You'd be okay with letting the coach walk away so we won't be backward?

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009

Burke inherting Wilson.

If we are truly going with a committee style management group where everyone has an opinion i don't think it'll matter in the grand scheme of things. I don't think we'd be hiring a GM that doesn't want Mike Babcock as his coach.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Montreal has a coach and theres no indication they're going to fire him. The whole thing was started by the Leafs Lunch guys speculating.

Plus Jean Perron said the Francophone fans would freak, if an Anglo only coach was in MTL. The language is truly ingrained with that team.

Therrien does have 4 more years on his contract. Why fire a coach who got you to #2
in the conference.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
I want Sheldon Keefe in the system. Dubas/Keefe tandom in the next decade would make us a very powerful force barring success. I am also hoping for a GM/Coach right now. I liked when Pat Quinn was both even though it didn't role over as well as it should have.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
What GM wouldn't want Mike Babcock as their coach? If we don't get him then ya maybe go for the GM first. But if you have a guy like Babcock available you don't sit on your hands and wait to sign a GM. You go for the big fish and let everything fall into place after.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If I were a free agent, I would like to know who my coach was before I signed. Which would mean, you'd like to ideally have a coach before July 1st. (which is three days after draft)

(shrug). or. Treliving inheriting Hartley (and extending him). it doesn't have to be backwards. It is backward because people decide it has to be backward.

I will ask again.

if say [insert the coach you 100 percent want, you can choose] is available tomorrow and you know this coach will hit every single note, teaching, demands accountability, will be a great communicator, the whole kit and kaboodle, are you honestly saying, that you would say no to the coach - because we don't have permission to hire [insert the GM that you 100 percent want] yet? And you know that there is another team hot for the coach you want?

I already answered this. GM/VP before Coach. Why would you bring in a coach that the VP/GM has no say in? I don't care if this was Toe Blake or Mike Babcock. Why would we go back to a Burke inheriting Wilson situation, or Shanahan inheriting Carlyle scenario? I thought you wanted progressive Management?

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

I will ask again.

People can't seem to get their heads around this.

20 years ago many hockey GM's reported directly to the owners. GM's did everything, from trades, in charge of scouting, hiring, firing, contracts, etc., etc.,. There were no such things as, President, other than the owners. The GM these days is an entire different animal.

For all intents & purposes Shanahan as President is very similar to the GM of 20 years ago. But now they have various underlings with various titles that carryout the multiple duties that the GM's of old carried out, plus they now have Cap experts, Analytics experts, Head of Player development, so forth & so on. There is just way too much for one person to do.

We don't even know what the duties of the new GM with the Leafs will be, especially with the management team we have/are forming. I would rather wait until after draft day & get a "new" GM without giving up a draft pick if possible.

As it stands now, we have two GM's, with the cool extra title, Interim. So if we sign a coach now, everything is good we have GM's, nothing ass backwards. We just may get a new one a little later. :)

EN4CER

Burn the Boats
Apr 8, 2013
Toronto
I already answered this. GM/VP before Coach. Why would you bring in a coach that the VP/GM has no say in? I don't care if this was Toe Blake or Mike Babcock. Why would we go back to a Burke inheriting Wilson situation, or Shanahan inheriting Carlyle scenario? I thought you wanted progressive Management?

Daisy is talking about Babcock not some average Ron Wilson type coach. What GM wouldn't want Babs? If you have a chance to get Babcock, no way in hell are you waiting for a GM's approval.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Daisy is talking about Babcock not some average Ron Wilson type coach. What GM wouldn't want Babs? If you have a chance to get Babcock, no way in hell are you waiting for a GM's approval.

Daisy Jane agreed with me last night, that there are plenty of good coaches available, and neither of us would be disappointed if Babcock didn't come to Toronto.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm almost certain we are hiring a Coach before a GM.

I think the coaching search will be done by first week of June, if not sooner.

My preference is to just add Sean Burke, and Shanny, Burke, Dubas or Hunter take over as GM.

I've warmed up to the George McPhee idea too. He as GM doing the basic GM duties, and then giving input on hockey ops as part of the "team".

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Babcock is in Buffalo tonight with Terry & Kim Pagula..... per WGR

Yup. We were the first visit, and then now Buffalo, and then he's supposed to meet with Shanahan again before going to the Worlds.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

I'm not too sure of the accuracy of this. If either are signed before the draft it is supposed to be a 2nd round pick. If after the draft & under contract, it's a 3rd round pick. After the draft, Babock is a free agent, so compensation should be nothing. The mutual parting of ways of SJ & McLellan should make him a freebie? Or you would think. Likewise I wouldn't expect Toronto to be compensated for a team signing Nonis or Carlyle.

It's also not supposed to be negotiable. If Babcock is signed tomorrow, it's a 2nd round pick, or nothing. No negotiations in between.

I think this whole compensation thing needs a bit of a review & answers to a lot of what ifs. I could see a 6th or 7th round compensation, but 2nd or 3rd is ridiculous.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I'm almost certain we are hiring a Coach before a GM.

I think the coaching search will be done by first week of June, if not sooner.

My preference is to just add Sean Burke, and Shanny, Burke, Dubas or Hunter take over as GM.

I've warmed up to the George McPhee idea too. He as GM doing the basic GM duties, and then giving input on hockey ops as part of the "team".

I'm good with that & sign Sean Burke after the draft.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

I want the right coach in place. (shrug). if the right coach is hired before we get the GM, i'm not going to be beating the drum saying "this is not the right way of doing things." Treliving inherited Hartley, and I don't hear anyone saying how backward that is, or Hartley should be fired or anything like that because Treliving was told that he had to keep anything. No one batted an eye that Treliving extended Hartley.

If it's the right coach , it doesn't matter who came first. all it means is we have the right coach.

EN4CER i mean, anyone (I don't want babcock here. I won't shed tears if he was hired, but i'm meh on him )

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I'm not too sure of the accuracy of this. If either are signed before the draft it is supposed to be a 2nd round pick. If after the draft & under contract, it's a 3rd round pick. After the draft, Babock is a free agent, so compensation should be nothing. The mutual parting of ways of SJ & McLellan should make him a freebie? Or you would think. Likewise I wouldn't expect Toronto to be compensated for a team signing Nonis or Carlyle.

It's also not supposed to be negotiable. If Babcock is signed tomorrow, it's a 2nd round pick, or nothing. No negotiations in between.

I think this whole compensation thing needs a bit of a review & answers to a lot of what ifs. I could see a 6th or 7th round compensation, but 2nd or 3rd is ridiculous.

for coaches it is when their season is over (ie: eliminated).
for management it is when their season is over (after draft).

if you poach in season, it is a 2nd.

it is a stupid stupid rule.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

maple leafs president brendan shanahan and red wings coach mike babcock will meet with each other this week at the world hockey championship.

The exact time and date for the discussion is yet to be determined, but a source close to both told the star the leafs are very much a long shot in the babcock sweepstakes and that the wings coach is calling all the shots in terms of who he talks to and when.

Basically, if babcock wants to talk to you, he’ll talk to you.

the word, however, is that babcock is not impressed with the state of the leafs organization because it faces a long rebuild, nor is he quite impressed with the buffalo sabres, another rebuilding team looking for a coach.

babcock, who is the biggest name among pending free agents, received permission from the wings to talk to whomever he chooses. the one caveat is that the team that signs him will have to surrender a third-round pick at some point over the next three seasons.

shanahan and babcock are both expected to be in prague — the site of the world championship — by wednesday.

Todd mclellan, formerly of the san jose sharks, is coaching team canada and is being wooed just as strongly as babcock. Edmonton is a likely landing spot for mclellan unless babcock wants that spot. The oilers have already interviewed mclellan.

The leafs are also expected to talk to mclellan, and also have interest in former ottawa coach paul maclean, former new jersey coach pete deboer and former tampa coach guy boucher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad