Rumor: Leafs are searching for a GM and coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
i have a feeling the moment the soo is eliminated, Dubas will be calling his buddy and saying "So. how about being Marlies coach for a few years?"

i am going to say this until i am blue in the face.
I don't think Babcock should be made GM/AGM and if that's what it takes to get him here then i think we should go somewhere else.

I agree with Daisy Smurf (blue in the face ;) ) . I want Babcock but as a coach only.

NotSince67*

TBH, the coach is less of an issue than getting the mix of players right.

So.... Mike Keenan? Make Philly really uncomfortable.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
See who the new GM is first.

I'm so tired of everything being ass-backwards at MLSE. Maybe Shanahan will fill the spots from the top down for once, even if that means letting his new hires go if the new guy doesn't want them.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
I think the hierarchy described here is exactly what this organization is starting to look like.

shannytree.png

I would not be surprised to if that "new GM" was GM/Coach. Hopefully this could bring a whole new alignment between the management staff and the ice-level staff that this team has been seriously lacking for quite some time.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I was told from a ridiculous source that Ted Nolan won't be coming to Toronto. I thought about the Soo connection and was told Dubas and Nolan aren't particularly "tight".

Not many in the league are tight with Nolan, I like him & he is a players coach, but he is not a management friendly coach, not right for this franchise right now.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
TBH, the coach is less of an issue than getting the mix of players right.

So.... Mike Keenan? Make Philly really uncomfortable.

Getting Keenan is an interesting idea. He would become the face of the team and he did great work helping Pronger to become the player he was. He has mellowed with age too. Might work.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This is my one fear if they hired Blashill.

Remember a few years ago how Dallas Eakins was the next best NHL head coach who was still in the AHL waiting for a chance and some Leafs fans were upset that Brian Burke picked Randy Carlyle instead of him, plus how things went for Eakins in Edmonton, what if the same thing happens to Blashill?

Last edited:

Shwaguy*

Eakins didn't work as Assistant to Babcock. Grand Rapids is known for their success and player development. Eakins relied on veterans in the AHL while Blashill relies on his prospects.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I want McLellan.

The Sharks Have been a power in the west for past several years, even before he arrived, and despite being contenders he still played kids like Couture (at the time), Setoguchi, Nieto, Hertl, etc.

He is not afraid to play kids if he believes they are able to handle the situation.

Babcock has a penchant for playing veterans over the kids like Cleary getting time over Pulkinnen.

Mclellan just seems a better fit.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Getting Keenan is an interesting idea. He would become the face of the team and he did great work helping Pronger to become the player he was. He has mellowed with age too. Might work.

I would say absolutely zero chance of that happening.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Ted Nolan - he always gets his guys to play hard, and I think he'd be great with the media here.

Elliote Friedman said the problem with Nolan is that he always brings his guys as asst. coaches, and he needs a strong X's and O's instead, to help out. The other problem is that there's always friction with his GM, which would satisfy the MSM's need for controversy. I can just see Nolan and the Leafs' braintrust putting their heads together and deciding what they're going to pretend to be fighting about each morning. Then at the end of the season they reveal the whole thing was made up.
I think you got something there. Nolan still looks awwsome and good, great charisma carter. The factor is there for sure. Is he married btw? I would like to have him as the coach of the maple leafs. He is loved by the players often and gets the best out of them. Great job with the former teams he's coached. Also that cool and calmness of him makes my day.
He inferred that the lifestyle was not appealing to him, I took from his comments was that he preferred to be closer to home.
Uh ok, I wasn't sure about that. Was a surprise move for him to leave so soon with the caps then... good season he had with em'.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I think you got something there. Nolan still looks awwsome and good, great charisma carter. The factor is there for sure. Is he married btw? I would like to have him as the coach of the maple leafs. He is loved by the players often and gets the best out of them. Great job with the former teams he's coached. Also that cool and calmness of him makes my day.

Uh ok, I wasn't sure about that. Was a surprise move for him to leave so soon with the caps then... good season he had with em'.

he was only hired on an interim bases after Boudreau got fired in late November, and he said prior to even going to Washington that he wasn't sure if he wanted to be a coach in the NHL and preferred the junior ranks better. but that he would give it a try in Washington.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
he was only hired on an interim bases after Boudreau got fired in late November, and he said prior to even going to Washington that he wasn't sure if he wanted to be a coach in the NHL and preferred the junior ranks better. but that he would give it a try in Washington.

Uh okk. Didn't remember that or don't recollect of hearing it then... but good to know now. That means he won't be coaching us neither eh? He definitely doesn't want the pressure of toronto on his back, right? Some coaches want that, because its the biggest challenge in the world of ice hockey.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
I must say that Blashill looks the part. He is pretty awwsome handsome and has a little bit of charisma carter. There is that. He is pretty young still, but has some sharpness on his face. Players would recognize him being the big bogg man. He looks pretty vocal too and I like his facial expressions. He shows emotion etc. He could be our next bouncing head coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad