Rumor: Leafs are searching for a GM and coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
why is everyone saying tippett? was he let go by the yotes? or are some of you hoping he would be?

blashill, babcock, hitchcock (if fired), mclellan are my choices.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Dale Hunter or Tippet.

Hunter would be aaaight, I bet. He was with the capitals as a head honcho like 3 years ago... I don't know the reason he quit right after? Anybody know the REAL reason? Just one season behind the bench and they even went into the stanley cup playoffs that season. Hunter would be a tough guy behind the bench, he likes heavy hitters and warriors.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Ted Nolan - he always gets his guys to play hard, and I think he'd be great with the media here.

Elliote Friedman said the problem with Nolan is that he always brings his guys as asst. coaches, and he needs a strong X's and O's instead, to help out. The other problem is that there's always friction with his GM, which would satisfy the MSM's need for controversy. I can just see Nolan and the Leafs' braintrust putting their heads together and deciding what they're going to pretend to be fighting about each morning. Then at the end of the season they reveal the whole thing was made up.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Shanny went outside the league to hire 2 rising stars from the OHL in Dubas and Hunter, I have to think he will continue to follow that blueprint. He seems intent on not recycling experienced NHL talent. IMO its intentional that he is hiring people outside of the NHL.

I think that, where the Leafs are rebuilding, coaches like McLellan and Babcock, Julien and Hitchcock (if they become avail) will have little interest in us. Who wants to be the guy who spends the next 3 to 7 years outside of the playoffs? Probably a guy who's not in the NHL right now.

I don't follow the OHL, are there any coaches that would be considered NHL ready? My guess is that he will be our next coach.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Hunter would be aaaight, I bet. He was with the capitals as a head honcho like 3 years ago... I don't know the reason he quit right after? Anybody know the REAL reason? Just one season behind the bench and they even went into the stanley cup playoffs that season. Hunter would be a tough guy behind the bench, he likes heavy hitters and warriors.

He inferred that the lifestyle was not appealing to him, I took from his comments was that he preferred to be closer to home.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
why is everyone saying tippett? was he let go by the yotes? or are some of you hoping he would be?

blashill, babcock, hitchcock (if fired), mclellan are my choices.

It's rumoured he has an 'out' in his contract and he might exorcise that option.

I'm torn about the coach. I thought Carlyle would be good here and it turned out to be a dud. I thought Eakins would be a solid coach and he turned out to be a dud.

I just don't know. Hard to not like some of the more experienced coaches like Babcock, McLellan and Tippett though.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Based on circumstances I want the next coach to be more of a teacher than a driven winner. I believe the last 3 of 4 coaches of the Leafs would have been suitable for this type of role. The last thing I want to see is a coach embracing marginal NHLers just because they've got some extra pro experience and may help the team win an extra game or two.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
It's rumoured he has an 'out' in his contract and he might exorcise that option.

I'm torn about the coach. I thought Carlyle would be good here and it turned out to be a dud. I thought Eakins would be a solid coach and he turned out to be a dud.

I just don't know. Hard to not like some of the more experienced coaches like Babcock, McLellan and Tippett though.

Who is to say Carlyle didn't work out? Were we not on the card when we let him go? And albeit a shortened season a playoff apperance. Relatively, his record was much better than Horachek.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Who is to say Carlyle didn't work out? Were we not on the card when we let him go? And albeit a shortened season a playoff apperance. Relatively, his record was much better than Horachek.

If you're comparing the success of Carlyle to the one of Horachek in order to justify Carlyle actually worked out well in Toronto, I don't know what else to say.

Carlyle was a pretty big flop in Toronto. Everything he brought was just consistently bad. Maurice did more with less. Wilson also probably did more with a lot less.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Is Jeff Blashill available? I thought I remember reading that Ken Holland denied teams permission to talk to Blashill.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Is Jeff Blashill available? I thought I remember reading that Ken Holland denied teams permission to talk to Blashill.

if Babcock re-signs, I would imagine Blashill would ask to be able to speak to other teams. all i hear is that this guys wants to be in the NHL.

and because it's holland be prepared to give over a third.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
NHL: Jeff Blashill

AHL: Sheldon Keefe

McLellan or Tippett are also options at the NHL level that I'd like to see that are semi-realistic.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Shanny went outside the league to hire 2 rising stars from the OHL in Dubas and Hunter, I have to think he will continue to follow that blueprint. He seems intent on not recycling experienced NHL talent. IMO its intentional that he is hiring people outside of the NHL.

I think that, where the Leafs are rebuilding, coaches like McLellan and Babcock, Julien and Hitchcock (if they become avail) will have little interest in us. Who wants to be the guy who spends the next 3 to 7 years outside of the playoffs? Probably a guy who's not in the NHL right now.

I don't follow the OHL, are there any coaches that would be considered NHL ready? My guess is that he will be our next coach.

I think he will be hiring an experienced NHL coach, you don't want someone that has to prove or validate himself to the players before he can control the room. That may have been Eakins down fall.

Don't underestimate the draw of being the coach that helps turnaround one of the most storied NHL franchises. I think most of the coaches you mentioned would love that opportunity. As a coach, the one thing I would be looking for is a long term contract. If you want me as part of the rebuild & multiple years of a losing record, give me a long enough contract to reap the rewards & be a part of the winning years, 7 years would be nice, 5 years minimum.

His contract ends in 2017. I don't think Blashill will be coming to Toronto.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
At this point, i don't think it matters. We can bring in a stud but the fanbase will turn on him just like they turn on everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad