Post-Game Talk: Leafs are not in the ariZONEa

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
4 big points to bank lost to garbage teams we should have smacked. (FLA, ARI)

This doesn't feel like a cold streak, it looks like a fundamental issue with the players/systems that is now simply coming to light.

Reactions: socko

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
3-7-0 in the last 10 games & 9-9-2 in their last 20.

Outworked, outshot, outplayed and outscored.

A team built for speed and skill seems to be to missing an important ingredient and that is work ethic and effort.

Too many passengers for the Leafs.

Arizona set a team high record in blocked shots yesterday and players did whatever it took to win.

Reactions: Duffman955

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
3-7-0 in the last 10 games.

Outworked, outshot, outplayed and outscored.

A team built for speed and skill seems to be to missing an important ingredient and that is work ethic and effort.

Too many passengers for the Leafs.

Arizona set a team high record in blocked shots yesterday and players did whatever it took to win.
If leafs lost 7-6, it would be the work ethic and effort. I am not saying they were working their a s s off. The PP, 6 on 5 and offensive zone system are the really problems here.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If leafs lost 7-6, it would be the work ethic and effort. I am not saying they were working their a s s off. The PP, 6 on 5 and offensive zone system are the really problems here.

Skill x effort = Achievement/Success.

Skill
is the product of talent or potential in something multiplied by how much effort you put into it.

Achievement or success is taking that skill and putting even more effort into it.

Talent only gets you so far, and without effort, your talent is nothing more than underachieving your own potential.

Leafs have lots of skill, therefore its the effort component that is lacking, and that is turning potential success into failure.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't blame Babs on stacking the lines, since there are no great LW on the Leafs at the moment.
Unless Babs moves Matthews to LW and have a line of Matthews-JT-Marner all the time. Then let Willie plays 3C with AJ and Kap and have Kadri with Hyman and Brown as the checking, energy and pest 3rd line. However, I don't think Matthews will like that in the long run.
What I would really try is to have JT plays with Willie and Hyman and see how that goes. I think Willie is at his best with a C that can pass, like how he played at the WC with Backstorm. Then you have Marner and Matthews. Problem with that, if more like when Matthews and Marner starts scoring, their contracts will the through the roof.
Personally, I really think Matthews is bother by something, could be injury, could be contract talks, could be reading this forum, once he sorts that out, he will be fine.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
When Babcock put brown with Matthews last night I couldn’t stop shouting at the tv. Brown? Are you kidding me. I’m still not at the fire egocock stage but it’s creeping up on me. Also dubas pretty much screwed everyone on the team with signing nylander to the massive contract. How many guys took pay cuts to play here? Must be in the back of their heads and will also give marner fuel to demand 10 mil minimum. This is not the trajectory I envisioned us going but signing dubas was probably a massive mistake. Babcock got us jt atleast

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

Skill
is the product of talent or potential in something multiplied by how much effort you put into it.

Achievement or success is taking that skill and putting even more effort into it.

Talent only gets you so far, and without effort, your talent is nothing more than underachieving your own potential.

Leafs have lots of skill, therefore its the effort component that is lacking, and that is turning potential success into failure.
Bab, is that you?

skill x effort x inadequate system (coaching skill) = banging your head against a brick wall

Did you watch the game? The effort level is tolerable, not good, but it is not "controller disconnected."

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
I don't understand why they would put all their centres on the first powerplay and leave wingers to take the draws on the second powerplay.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You know i would try it in last game against Washington before the break. Lets go Matty JT and Marner the entire game. See if it picks up Matty. I don't care who plays centre. But I would try Matty on left side just to free him up to score.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I brought this up when Hyman got suspended for hitting McAvoy. That is when this lackluster play began. Tavares should have been the one to hit, but instead peeled away. If you watch it Hyman isn't looking to hit McAvoy at first but sees Tavares peel off so he hits him. Tavares is not a small guy, but to have only 351 hits in his career is sad. He averages 40 hits a season, for reference Crosby averages 48 and he has concussion issues and Stamkos averages 81. People talk about how Tavares always competes, really need to take the blinders off. Very often you can see him cheat for offense or simply give up on plays defensively.

Funny, that's the biggest issue we had with him on the ice as Isles fans, leaving aside how he treated the last year. I don;t know if it has happened yet with you but we used to go crazy when he'd spend a 2-minute shift in OT and the other team would get an easy odd man rush to win the game since he had nothing left to get back with.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
The gta has SIX TIMES more people than the entire population of that PROVINCE.

That is not a comparable "big market team."

Try again. A BIG market team that has the history of struggling like the leafs do.

Heck, that's easy . . .

NY - Jets, Knicks, Mets
Phily - 76ers
LA - Raiders, Clippers
Chicago - The Cubs were exactly that until now, White Sox

Should I go on?

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Heck, that's easy . . .

NY - Jets, Knicks, Mets
Phily - 76ers
LA - Raiders, Clippers
Chicago - The Cubs were exactly that until now, White Sox

Should I go on?
What do other sports have to do with my argument?

Under the NHL’S CBA, the rich big market teams all do MUCH better than the maple leafs.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
What do other sports have to do with my argument?

Under the NHL’S CBA, the rich big market teams all do MUCH better than the maple leafs.

In what sport besides football, where the salary cap is hard AND inviolable, is that not the case? Basketball and Baseball allow luxury taxes. Yet the Mets and Knicks still suck. The NHL has a HARD cap so it's hard to make that comparison. The Rangers have ONE CUP since 1940, how is that not the same as the Leafs? Until Toews and Kane came along the Blackhawks were the Maple Leafs in many ways. And what is a big market these days? San Jose has never won a Cup and they are the 10th biggest city in the USA. 3 of the 8 largest cities by population in the U.S. DO NOT HAVE AN NHL franchise!

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I want us to be like the Pats. Pats have the greatest coach. And Pats have the ultimate GOAT. And we surround them with whatever they need.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
OMG. Even if you are blind you can clearly see that nothing is clicking, not one of our player cares a **** at the moment, everyone is playing ****, almost all the lines are slumping.

But somehow, advances stats can proove it's only the goaltender's fault.

This is amazing. This one shows perfectly how sometimes advanced stats are just useless piece of ****s.

More utter nonsense.
This place has never been able to handle any adversity.

Everyone stinks....fire the coach. It's truly laughable.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
In what sport besides football, where the salary cap is hard AND inviolable, is that not the case? Basketball and Baseball allow luxury taxes. Yet the Mets and Knicks still suck. The NHL has a HARD cap so it's hard to make that comparison. The Rangers have ONE CUP since 1940, how is that not the same as the Leafs? Until Toews and Kane came along the Blackhawks were the Maple Leafs in many ways. And what is a big market these days? San Jose has never won a Cup and they are the 10th biggest city in the USA. 3 of the 8 largest cities by population in the U.S. DO NOT HAVE AN NHL franchise!

I don’t know about those other sports. And I’m not talking about 50 years ago. Again, I’m talking specifically about under the NHL’S CBA, the other big market rich teams perform MUCH better than the leafs. We’ve won ZERO playoff series since the cap was introduced.

If you’re going to talk about another sport, then that has nothing to do with my argument. If you’re going to talk about pre cap nhl, that has nothing to do with my argument.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I remember that. Not as exciting, but those were the games we won. I guess winning isn't fun?

Right, because Babcock's obsession with Komarov and giving him as much ice-time as Matthews and putting him on the powerplay is what made the team click. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge

Skill

I like that. I tell my volleyball players that skill wins points, but heart wins games. You can't have one without the other to be truly successful.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Right, because Babcock's obsession with Komarov and giving him as much ice-time as Matthews and putting him on the powerplay is what made the team click. :rolleyes:
No, because when the Leafs were ahead, Komarov played because he was the best forward at defending a lead. When the Leafs were behind, Matthews played, because he was better at generating scoring.

I didn't think anyone needed that explained to them.

Komarov got limited time on the PP because he was good at zone entries, and as a net-front presence.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I'm very confident that Shanahan knows this team isn't playing right, the guy sits 26th all time in NHL points, he's been on champion teams, he knows what a true contender looks like both as a player and from above looking on.

The scary thing is, I don't think Dubas knows what a true contender looks like.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Leo was a good utility forward, every good team usually has one and all coaches love them

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
No, because when the Leafs were ahead, Komarov played because he was the best forward at defending a lead. When the Leafs were behind, Matthews played, because he was better at generating scoring.

Komarov got limited time on the PP because he was good at zone entries, and as a net-front presence.

No, that's not what happened. Babcock didn't just use Komarov in situations where the team needed to defend or protect a lead, and even if that was the case, that wouldn't justify how he got as much ice-time as Matthews. Babcock would play Komarov in all situations of the game, far too often, including when they needed a goal. There were times he would put him on the ice in OT before Matthews, and when the team had the goalie pulled. He did nothing to help the powerplay either. Babcock's obsession with him was detrimental to the team, he did nothing offensively and the alleged grit he brought was greatly overstated.

The team was also doing more than fine without Komarov before January, and there's nothing wrong with the team right now that he would fix. So, this notion about "games we won" because of Komarov is a fantasy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad