Post-Game Talk: Leafs are not in the ariZONEa

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
just can't score anymore, and it's in their heads.

Every team is allowed to have a slump, but this has to be rock bottom or else I start to seriously lose confidence in the team.

A win against the equally-slumping Caps (3-8 and on a 5gm losing streak) is huge heading into the break.

Reactions: Lauro and Gallagbi

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
The PP has no one timers because nobody is set up on their off wing and nobody is setting up on their off wing because, well, none of them have good one timers. Matthews, Marner, Nylander/Leivo and the rotating irrelevant LW on the second unit just don't have good slapshots. Catch and release only works if the goalie's out of position.

I don't even know what the solution is because really the best they can get is a decent snapshot out of say Kapanen on his off wing but he misses the net a lot. Of course they could do what they were doing earlier in the season and skate around a lot more to break down the coverage but they seem to prefer standing still now soooo...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The idiot coach put Nylander on the 4th line to find his game and he played with a lot of hustle in the first two periods. Why didn’t Babs put him back with Matthews in the 2nd period? Oh that’s right, its because he had to double shift the ineffective Brown. Most overrated overpaid coach in the league.

Actually if you noticed Nylander did get time with Matthews and he did move up once Johnsson was knocked out of the game with a concussion.

Do fans not realize Nylander had 1 goal and 2 assists in 19 games playing mostly with Matthews all year and it wasn't working for him and now Matthews is also struggling to score as well.

Brown is a hard worker and was playing the role of Hyman for that line, by getting to loose pucks and winning puck and board battles.. Matthews has a lot of looks and good scoring opportunities in the game.

Reactions: Lauro

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
. The question is: Why doesn’t the head coach see it the same way? Mike Babcock was right about the Leafs having the puck a lot in this game — they owned over 60% of the shot attempts — but I’m guessing when he does his rewatch of the game tape, he’ll come away less impressed with the scoring chance count he references as the coaching staff’s most valued performance metric. This is about more than just puck luck right now. The Leafs aren’t making their own breaks. They’re getting outworked.
5. The power play remains a farce — 1 for its last 19, and just 13.2% (24th) since December 1. It went to work just once tonight, but the sum total of the power play was a Marner seam slap pass that was jammed up and a Marner slap shot with a clear view for Darcy Kuemper, who held on for a whistle. It’s time for the Leafs to run it through Matthews and move Tavares out of the net front role — he had 30 points on the power play last season with New York and has two PP points in his last 22 — for a while. We’re reaching the definition of insanity here.

Game #48 Review: Arizona Coyotes 4 vs. Toronto Maple Leafs 2 | Maple Leafs Hotstove

That's one of the biggest issues for me. With the firepower we have, there's no reason to be this bad for so long

Reactions: stickty111

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Actually if you noticed Nylander did get time with Matthews and he did move up once Johnsson was knocked out of the game with a concussion.

Do fans not realize Nylander had 1 goal and 2 assists in 19 games playing mostly with Matthews all year and it wasn't working for him and now Matthews is also struggling to score as well.

Brown is a hard worker and was playing the role of Hyman for that line, by getting to loose pucks and winning puck and board battles.. Matthews has a lot of looks and good scoring opportunities in the game.
I am getting tired of hearing this line. We need talent. WE have talent, but don't play them like other teams do.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Dermott unsurprisingly looked great in a bigger role.

Why our coach only lets us get the full benefit of him when we run into injuries is beyond me, of course.

And the bottom pair struggled badly, particularly in moving the puck. Of course, any team that has Rosen, Sandin, and Liljegren playing well in the AHL shouldn't run into any puck moving problems when they run into injuries.

Gardiner - Rielly
Dermott - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Rosen/Liljegren

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I am getting tired of hearing this line. We need talent. WE have talent, but don't play them like other teams do.

apparently the leafs have a uniquely lazy group of skills players, moreso than any other team in hockey, which forces our coach to play our skill less than any other team in the league, and play the grunts more than any other team in the league.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
If only everything was simple as just drafting 1st overall once and signing one big free agent and the cups will win themselves.

Let's hope Marner, Matthews, Nylander (as long as they play in Toronto) will get better and better every year and when time is right, we will compete like lions. Untill that time we are still in the process of growing and growing. We might have a chance at the cup the next 8 years or so, this year might be the slightest chance of them all.

Reactions: Leafsfan86

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Is it just me or is anyone else getting tired of Auston trying to deke 3 guys? I mean he is fantastic ... but his creativity could be better. If there are 3 guys on him he needs to find the open man a bit more. I am tired of the shot from 40 feet out or the moves at the blue line as he tries to deke NHL calibre players.

I mean hard to say this but this seasons Marner >> Matthews

The trouble is, no one is open. He should just flip it behind the net

Leafsfan86

Jan 12, 2019
I don't mind waiting to compete for a cup (we've waited for this long anyways. What's another 50 years! Lol.) man it feels like we've taken a step back this year. It's frustrating...

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

Why our coach only lets us get the full benefit of him when we run into injuries is beyond me, of course.

And the bottom pair struggled badly, particularly in moving the puck. Of course, any team that has Rosen, Sandin, and Liljegren playing well in the AHL shouldn't run into any puck moving problems when they run into injuries.

Gardiner - Rielly
Dermott - Zaitsev

Dermott didn't look so great on that 3rd Arizona goal.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Gardiner - Rielly
Dermott - Zaitsev
Some bright spots for Dermott, also some low spots. Brutal turnover on the PP that should have led to a breakaway and blown coverage on the GWG weren't good.

I'd flip Hainsey and Z on those proposed pairing.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Hello Leaf fans.... I used to follow your team more closely.. this year I have not. I have a few questions as your recent slide has me curious....
From reading the comments, it appears that your coach is going all Micheal Therrian on you guys.. aka "GRIND deez guys"

My thought was that the team dynamic changed when you got nylender back... is that assumption true?

what is going with your club?

Thanks and best of luck going forward.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

That talent is really showing up in spades. The PP is abysmal, maybe some tweaks are necessary, but talent should still be able to produce on the PP. Nylander and Matthews are AWOL right now, Nylander has never really showed up. You still need determination, and some of these guys sure are showing it right now.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Hello Leaf fans.... I used to follow your team more closely.. this year I have not. I have a few questions as your recent slide has me curious....
From reading the comments, it appears that your coach is going all Micheal Therrian on you guys.. aka "GRIND deez guys"

My thought was that the team dynamic changed when you got nylender back... is that assumption true?

what is going with your club?

Thanks and best of luck going forward.

Powerplay is pretty much worst in the league the last 2 mths.

Inability to break out of the zone while keeping possession of the puck.

Goaltending (when Andersen was hurt).

Matthews in a terrible slump and doesnt seem to have that extra gear he had before he got hurt.

Reactions: Censored Toad

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

I have a question.
When calculating these numbers, does it take into account the teams we are playing are giving us those numbers. By that I mean if you play aggressive or sit back in the neutral zone. Allow the team to gain the zone and force them where you want?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
That talent is really showing up in spades. The PP is abysmal, maybe some tweaks are necessary, but talent should still be able to produce on the PP. Nylander and Matthews are AWOL right now, Nylander has never really showed up. You still need determination, and some of these guys sure are showing it right now.
That PP is all 100% on coaching.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd

OMG. Even if you are blind you can clearly see that nothing is clicking, not one of our player cares a f*** at the moment, everyone is playing shit, almost all the lines are slumping.

But somehow, advances stats can proove it's only the goaltender's fault.

This is amazing. This one shows perfectly how sometimes advanced stats are just useless piece of shits.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Sure, Matthews gets good scoring opportunities every game. Has nothing to do with 1 goal in 30 games Brown.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017

Nylander has played with matthews mostly? I think he has played with him like 3 games total LOL

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge

Common sense says that if there is only one skilled player on a line, other teams will smother that player. How many clean looks and shots did Matthews get? They were getting bodies and sticks in the way of his shots. That’s what happens when you put 2 grunts with a superstar.

Tell me, in what universe is Brown a top 6 player? It’s going on 2 years that he is showing zero offensive skill and meagre production. He digs for pucks, but doesn’t know what to do with them.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
OMG. Even if you are blind you can clearly see that nothing is clicking, not one of our player cares a **** at the moment, everyone is playing ****, almost all the lines are slumping.

But somehow, advances stats can proove it's only the goaltender's fault.

This is amazing. This one shows perfectly how sometimes advanced stats are just useless piece of ****s.
...but goaltending and the PP have been noticeable bad over this stretch. Even using the eye test instead of advanced stats you see Freddy being beat clean on unscreened shots regularly, same with Hutch. PP is basically 2 minutes off the clock instead of providing legitimate scoring chances.

It's not the only issues, but it's tough to think of anything being more noticeable. Again ignoring stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad