Post-Game Talk: Leafs are not in the ariZONEa

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
FIRE EGOCOCK. Guy cant even win with a stacked team bc keeps playing plugs tops mins, prob the worst line making coach in the NHL. Puts out his lover Hyman and Marleau after pulling the goalie when we down by a goal. SMH.

I cant believe ppl actually think he is good bc he won a stanley cup like 20 years ago with a stacked Red Wings team and gold medal with godmode Team Canada. Guys is dinosaur, coaches like this should not be in the new NHL.

Whats our record since Hyman came back from injury?

Last edited:

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
I don't know, I think all of the players on our top lines except Nylander have no problem fighting puck battles in the corners. Tavares, Hyman, Matthews, and even Marner all win plenty of puck battles.

The problem I see is there's just no offensive creativity except for Mitch-JT. It's all stretch pass, which fails most of the time, and when it works everyone's so afraid to give the puck away that they just throw it back to the point or ring it around the boards. Everyone's become a ****ing perimeter player because Babcock has overcoached all the creativity out of them.

Frankly, this team may be too talented for Babcock. The past few years have convinced me that he's great at getting a team with a lot of grinders to overachieve, but doesn't know what to do with skilled players, his insistence on putting grinders like Hyman, Brown, Cleary, Komarov, etc. on top lines to "go get the puck" for the skilled players just drags down lines. I'd even argue that he underachieved with those Detroit teams he won the cup with - those Lidstrom teams should have been been capable of winnign 2-3.

The way the game is now you don't need to "grind it out" in the corners most of the time, you just need fast players to apply pressure, every team is having their defense move the puck as fast as they can, you recover possession by stealing pucks on bad passes and mishandles, not by dry-humping the defender against the boards until he coughs it up.

100% this. Most here still think he is some god because he won a cup with that stacked Red Wings team or gold with team Canada. Legit the most overrated coach in NHL history. 8 mill USD he makes OMEGALUL.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Team is pissing me off. But every year in leaf land the tractor trailer falls off the cliff around this time anyway so I kinda anticipated this crap happening. No heart,, or emotion or passion. Just collecting paycheques and skating around like it's a country club.

Reactions: TheBigThree

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Can't believe the last two mins we saw Martin Marincin and Ron Hainsey on the ice while we were down by a goal.. 9-9-2 in our past 20 games. Not looking very good right now.

I also blame management for this, we have seen for the past two and half seasons now we need a d-man and yet we continue to sit on our hands saying "we think our defense is good". Time to pay the price and get what our team desperately lacks.

Last edited:

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
This seems like a young team not understanding what is actually on the line.

Won't fire Babs (nor should they right now), so a trade would be the next thing. Not many options to move though.

Were not losing because of our secondary pieces right now, this teams core isn't getting it done. JT is the only bright spot there right now.

Rielly and Marner both made horrific plays leading to goals and Freddy looks average. Matthews on the perimeter most of the night and Willy still off. Kadri was meh, as per usual lately.

I agree with all of this. Probably would have used stronger words cause I’m so damn frustrated.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Dermott on the winning goal. Horrific. Man would Gardiner be roasted for that.
We know this is Dermotts first chance at playing higher in the lineup. We can understand a few mistakes. Gards shouldn’t be making as many at his stage.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
All star break can't come soon enough.

I know we're better then this but man it's tough to watch.
Used to be nigh unbeatable when scoring the 1st goal. Now we're pissing away leads left right and center.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I think they lost it in the first period when they had the lead 1-0 in a way....

Arizona came out slow, the Leafs dominated that period and it was one of their best periods of hockey this year but they only had one goal to show for it. If they'd put up 2 or 3 as they could have with how **** Arizona was playing, this could be a win. And you can say it's bad luck that they only scored one goal in the first but imo, it's a systems issue. The offensive system on this team just isn't good enough to match the creativity of the players. Especially that overused scheme of point shots they try to deflect, an awful low percentage play holding the team back. We have no cycle either compared to other teams that have one good line that can really cycle. The Tavares line comes the closest but it looks like its cycling in a disorganized way rather than a planned way to generate chances.

this 100%

It was very noticeable this game. Players are too quick and are forced into a low IQ hockey. Which explains why everyone just crashes the net now, marner, JT, Matthews, Kappy, Johnsson.

Where are the passing lanes? Where are the pass plays? the Picks? cycles?

Nope.

Babs should get new assistants yesterday, so we dont blow another season

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Imo the saddest part is that every team has been able to adapt to our power play, to the point where we have one of the worst pp's in the league.

Why can we adapt?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Imo the saddest part is that every team has been able to adapt to our power play, to the point where we have one of the worst pp's in the league.

Why can we adapt?
Because they have zero confidence. Last night was a perfect example, forcing pucks to Marner all PP instead of making a decision and taking the open plays.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Why can we adapt?
It was surprising when they pointed during the game out that since Dec 1st, Leafs have the 30th OA PP operating at just 5.3%.

Its become completely predictable and easy to defend, and Leafs don't have that elite Dman with bomb from the point.

Poor PP has lead to a 3-7-0 record in the last 10 games.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Dermott was ok, not great.

Kapanen IMO was fantastic.
I think our team as a whole was pretty good, just got no finish right now.

Its become completely predictable and easy to defend, and Leafs don't have that elite Dman with bomb from the point.
The bomb from the point isn't exactly a weapon that a lot of good PPs rely on nowadays. The ones that do blast away from the blueline tend to be rather crappy PPs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Because they have zero confidence. Last night was a perfect example, forcing pucks to Marner all PP instead of making a decision and taking the open plays.
No threat of a one timer, makes it more predictable.

Reactions: ToneDog

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Is it just me or is anyone else getting tired of Auston trying to deke 3 guys? I mean he is fantastic ... but his creativity could be better. If there are 3 guys on him he needs to find the open man a bit more. I am tired of the shot from 40 feet out or the moves at the blue line as he tries to deke NHL calibre players.

I mean hard to say this but this seasons Marner >> Matthews

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

Leafsfan86

Jan 12, 2019
I don't understand why Babcock has Matthews playing with Brown on one line and Nylander on the 4th line. How is that supposed to help with scoring and confidence?? Idiot coach!!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No threat of a one timer, makes it more predictable.

Exactly, everybody knows including the fans in the seats that all Rielly does from the point on the PP is act as a puck distributor and intermediary moving it back and forth from Marner on his right to Matthews on his left, rinse and repeat, over and over again.

No need for the opposition to defend the point on the PP and Rielly, simply cheat to Marner and Matthews sides, because even when the puck goes back to a wide open Rielly there is little threat of a one timer, just a regroup with Morgan deciding if he is going to give it back to Mitch or Auston next.

It essentially tuns and 5-4 man advantage to a 4-4 battle with the extra man Rielly simply helping keep the puck in the Ozone, but out on the perimeter and out of any dangerous scoring chances.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I don't understand why Babcock has Matthews playing with Brown on one line and Nylander on the 4th line. How is that supposed to help with scoring and confidence?? Idiot coach!!
The idiot coach put Nylander on the 4th line to find his game and he played with a lot of hustle in the first two periods. Why didn’t Babs put him back with Matthews in the 2nd period? Oh that’s right, its because he had to double shift the ineffective Brown. Most overrated overpaid coach in the league.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Exactly, everybody knows including the fans in the seats that all Rielly does from the point on the PP is act as a puck distributor and intermediary moving it back and forth from Marner on his right to Matthews on his left, rinse and repeat, over and over again.

No need for the opposition to defend the point on the PP and Rielly, simply cheat to Marner and Matthews sides, because even when the puck goes back to a wide open Rielly there is little threat of a one timer, just a regroup and Morgan deciding if he is going to give it back to Mitch or Auston.

It essentially tuns and 5-4 man advantage to a 4-4 battle with the extra man Rielly simply helping keep the puck in the Ozone, but out on the perimeter and out of any dangerous scoring chances.
Not only the point, both wings aren't in a one time position.
Swap Marner and Matthews? Remove Kadri, put Matthews in the middle and put Nylander in Matthews spot on the wall?
Somehow they need to figure out a way to add more options.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
Is it just me or is anyone else getting tired of Auston trying to deke 3 guys? I mean he is fantastic ... but his creativity could be better. If there are 3 guys on him he needs to find the open man a bit more. I am tired of the shot from 40 feet out or the moves at the blue line as he tries to deke NHL calibre players.

I mean hard to say this but this seasons Marner >> Matthews

I would be more inclined to say that Matthews needs help to create chances, Marner creates chances. The book is out on Matthews; if you give him space, ANY space, your dead. If you take away his space, he take low percentage shots and doesn't adjust to making plays for other guys. He's like a shooter in the NBA who just keeps chucking even when he's cold, because he eventually will heat up again. What Matthews doesn't realize is that he is attracting coverage, leaving other players open. He's got to adjust.

My beef with the team is: Why don't the defenders take slapshots? Is this a Babcock thing? I understand that we don't really have a guy with a huge shot, but you have to realize that if you start slapping, it puts a little bit of fear into the defenders on the other team. Now, the other team knows we don't do it, and feel free to clog up that slot area without concern, which effects that time and space that our forwards get.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Our Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team really sucks at hockey right now if they can't even beat an injury depleted, bottom feeding, Phoenix Coyotes!

As a group, maybe they should try a new sport. I recommend synchronized swimming!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not only the point, both wings aren't in a one time position.
Swap Marner and Matthews? Remove Kadri, put Matthews in the middle and put Nylander in Matthews spot on the wall?
Somehow they need to figure out a way to add more options.

Agreed, many teams flip their wingers on the PP, so that they play their weak shooting sides because it increases shooting angles and allows for 1 timers..

OV, Laine, Stamkos etc all shoot right but all set up and blast away from the left on the PP with 1 timers, with passes through the slot. Leafs have their players stay on their strong sides with less dangerous shots coming from outside with weaker shooting angles when coming from the boards, and that is why teams also know Marner is looking to either pass down low to JT or across the dots to Matthews and that makes defending both those also predictable.

No point shots & No 1-timers = No problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad