Post-Game Talk: Leafs are not in the ariZONEa

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
No, that's not what happened. Babcock didn't just use Komarov in situations where the team needed to defend or protect a lead, and even if that was the case, that wouldn't justify how he got as much ice-time as Matthews. Babcock would play Komarov in all situations of the game, far too often, including when they needed a goal. There were times he would put him on the ice in OT before Matthews, and when the team had the goalie pulled. He did nothing to help the powerplay either. Babcock's obsession with him was detrimental to the team, he did nothing offensively and the alleged grit he brought was greatly overstated.

The team was also doing more than fine without Komarov before January, and there's nothing wrong with the team right now that he would fix. So, this notion about "games we won" because of Komarov is a fantasy.

I didn't think anyone needed that explained to them.

To me, it looks like Babcock is still trying to teach the Leafs core what it means to compete. Guys like Matthews, Nylander, and Marner needed to pick up their intensity levels on a regular basis. As I've said before, skill us useless without the puck, and getting the puck is usually a dirty job.

Marner figured it out, and look how much he's improved.

If the top skilled guys don't want to work, then the coach is forced to put out less skilled players who do.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
No, that's not what happened. Babcock didn't just use Komarov in situations where the team needed to defend or protect a lead, and even if that was the case, that wouldn't justify how he got as much ice-time as Matthews. Babcock would play Komarov in all situations of the game, far too often, including when they needed a goal. There were times he would put him on the ice in OT before Matthews, and when the team had the goalie pulled. He did nothing to help the powerplay either. Babcock's obsession with him was detrimental to the team, he did nothing offensively and the alleged grit he brought was greatly overstated.

The team was also doing more than fine without Komarov before January, and there's nothing wrong with the team right now that he would fix. So, this notion about "games we won" because of Komarov is a fantasy.

We'll, I didn't say anything about him being used 'just' in those situations, or that we won because of him, so I have no idea what you are arguing for or against.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
With the most recent losses, I thought I'd pop in to see if Leaf Nation had lost their collective minds.

I'm not disappointed.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
FIRE EGOCOCK. Guy cant even win with a stacked team bc keeps playing plugs tops mins, prob the worst line making coach in the NHL. Puts out his lover Hyman and Marleau after pulling the goalie when we down by a goal. SMH.

I cant believe ppl actually think he is good bc he won a stanley cup like 20 years ago with a stacked Red Wings team and gold medal with godmode Team Canada. Guys is dinosaur, coaches like this should not be in the new NHL.

Whats our record since Hyman came back from injury?
The new nhl is littered with girly boys. Good coach with soft players.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
No, because when the Leafs were ahead, Komarov played because he was the best forward at defending a lead. When the Leafs were behind, Matthews played, because he was better at generating scoring.

Komarov got limited time on the PP because he was good at zone entries, and as a net-front presence.

Leafs are something stupid like 22-0-0 when leading after 2 periods. Not even the almighty Komarov who you Isles fans love could improve upon that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad