GDT: Leafs Announce Centennial Plans [OP edited w/Shanahan Video + Centennial Badge]

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Great looking centennial patch. It's really enjoyable hearing Shanahan speak on behalf of our club and can't say enough about the way he addresses the media while guarding the Leafs' best interests.

Thanks for the post, OP.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Maple Leaf alumni member Ron Ellis speaks with Leafs TV regarding the upcoming 100th season for the Maple Leafs.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Also 18 new banners to the rafters? Are they going to retire jerseys or is this something else?

They're just replacing/updating them. I think they said the current ones will be sent to the players' respective hometowns.

Could it be possible that the Leafs are planning on retiring those numbers? Thus the need for new banners? And thereby paving the way for Keon's approval to retire #14 too?

Just a hunch. ;)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The funniest thing about this to me was that we turned 75 on March 2, 2002. We had a 75 Forever badge.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
The funniest thing about this to me was that we turned 75 on March 2, 2002. We had a 75 Forever badge.

I remember thinking back then that it was a stupid cash grab.

I brought this up in the main forum earlier today that this was a narrative re-written by Conn Smythe to make it seem like he was the founder in 1927 of what became such a cultural institution in Canada, and thus he should get all credit for that. Smythe had such influence that his version of history was adopted by the league back then. If you watch old videos, you'll hear Clarence Campbell presenting the cup to the Leafs for the "10th time" in 1964, and the "11th time" in 1967. His son Stafford Smythe and co-owner Harold Ballard would continue that narrative from the 60's onwards.

Somewhere along the line, the Leafs reverted back to the narrative of their original founding in 1917, as it should have been all along. Certainly by the 90's, I have memorabilia stating the 1917 founding and Toronto's 13 cups. But it doesn't appear like the Leafs officially adopted this narrative until recently.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I don't like that we change our banners so much. Seems like a sunbelt team move.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
and at any rate, it sounds like the current banners are going to the players - and we're getting new ones. so it works.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I was going to say that this felt like the only other time it has happened (outside what Ballard may or may not have done at some point; who knows with that guy).

That's because there weren't any player banners during Ballard's time! He didn't believe in tradition or honouring the past. The first player banners went up a couple years after Ballard's death, in the early 90's.

There WERE cup banners, but Ballard took them down and sold them off. The NHL had to replace them for the Leafs after Ballard's death.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
That's because there weren't any player banners during Ballard's time! He didn't believe in tradition or honouring the past. The first player banners went up a couple years after Ballard's death, in the early 90's.

There WERE cup banners, but Ballard took them down and sold them off. The NHL had to replace them for the Leafs after Ballard's death.

He SOLD them?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
and at any rate, it sounds like the current banners are going to the players - and we're getting new ones. so it works.

Its bush league unless we go back to the old ones.

Teams like the leafs should maintain historic pieces not changing them every couple decades. Habs do it right.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Its bush league unless we go back to the old ones.

Teams like the leafs should maintain historic pieces not changing them every couple decades. Habs do it right.

considering that everything Shanahan's done regarding the aesthetics to the club has been steeped in the historical context, i would doubt very much anything they'll do the banners will be as you say "bush league."

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
He was a piece of work Daisy. When the Beatles played there back in the 60's he turned the heat on in the summer so people would buy more refreshments.

eYamfNd.png

Also, I think the Leafs may have found their new PA announcer to replace Andy Frost -- I really liked the tone/voice of the narrator from the Reveal video.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
considering that everything Shanahan's done regarding the aesthetics to the club has been steeped in the historical context, i would doubt very much anything they'll do the banners will be as you say "bush league."

he said they were getting new ones. Getting new ones is bush league.

Part of the appeal of banners should be I was there to see that go up. If you change them every 20 years, they lose appeal.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
he said they were getting new ones. Getting new ones is bush league.

Part of the appeal of banners should be I was there to see that go up. If you change them every 20 years, they lose appeal.

yeah. we also got a new logo.
which is new - but every aspect of it was taken from the past.

we got a new jersey.
which every aspect was taken from the past.

so. if we're getting new banners. chances are it will be taken from the past

but whatever, milage will vary, too hot to debate over something we haven't even seen yet.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
yeah. we also got a new logo.
which is new - but every aspect of it was taken from the past.

we got a new jersey.
which every aspect was taken from the past.

so. if we're getting new banners. chances are it will be taken from the past

but whatever, milage will vary, too hot to debate over something we haven't even seen yet.

We shouldn't have changed our logo from what it was in the 60s during the dynasties.

If they go back to the old banners it will be correcting a mistake, like the logo. But the logo or the banners should never change again. You don't see the Habs changing their logo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad