Friedman: Leafs and Nylander not close on extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Who were the "younger and very likely better" PKers last season?

Komarov was a PK beast, and a monster in the dot.

Now that you mention Polak, what kid was going to replace him as a RHS PK denseman?

the Leafs pk was mediocre last season and was A big reason they lost against Boston. You’re exaggerating Leos impact here (and Polaks for that matter). Their departure will likely force Babcock to play better options in their place.

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Seriously,who cares? how many? where on the ice they were from? who took them? how many pp shots? how many blocked? etc....have at it man, its meaningless,when the games are decided by shots taken then I can stop watchin'.

Who cares?

Obviously I do, I just asked the question.

You don't think how many shots a team gives up is an interesting variable when it comes to talking about the quality of a teams defense?

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Who cares?

You don't think how many shots a team gives up is an interesting variable when it comes to talking about the quality of a teams defense?

Ok...yes, i am sure that 'shots' factor in to any/every teams discussion. The quantity of shots ,however, isn't as important as the quality ! Yes?
I mean there may be concerns if mistakes are being repeated,etc that lead to losing games. You must of witnessed many games as have I where the team that outshoots ,but still loses. Lots of variables there! But in the end it's goals that matter!
All the collective data on shots against the Leafs doesn't change their 11th place rating!

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Who cares?

NHL Tonight: Tavares and Matthews:

Enjoy watching the Leafs improve defensively.

Reactions: RCS

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
Babcock used Komarov on the powerplay for parts of last season and he was a zero, although I'm not sure how much better Brown would have been in his place.

Leo is a loss on the PK, but they still will have Hyman, Brown, Tavares, Lindholm. Kapanen and Johnsson have both been developed for the PK. It remains to be soon who grabs what roles.

No one cares who replaces Polak, they have a one man penalty kill in Ron Hainsey.

The Hainsey part is what bothers me. We need another guy like him. I feel like we almost killed him last year.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Who were the "younger and very likely better" PKers last season?

Komarov was a PK beast, and a monster in the dot.

Now that you mention Polak, what kid was going to replace him as a RHS PK denseman?

Babcock used Komarov on the powerplay for parts of last season and he was a zero, although I'm not sure how much better Brown would have been in his place.

Leo is a loss on the PK, but they still will have Hyman, Brown, Tavares, Lindholm. Kapanen and Johnsson have both been developed for the PK. It remains to be soon who grabs what roles.

No one cares who replaces Polak, they have a one man penalty kill in Ron Hainsey.

Thank you for the bolded.

As for Polak... I was just wondering what kid the poster thought could have replaced his minutes.

I would add that 37-year-old Hainsey broke down over the course of last season with all those minutes...

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
"Where were they in shots against?"

Seriously,who cares? how many? where on the ice they were from? who took them? how many pp shots? how many blocked? etc....have at it man, its meaningless,when the games are decided by shots taken then I can stop watchin'.

Shots against are an important indicator in my opinion and Leafs had a ton of those.

My take is that Andersen stepped up in the regular season to cover dat dere

... but the pressure of the playoffs got to him (Leafs were horrible in goals against in the post-season).

Just my opinion, please don't take it personally...

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Shots against are an important indicator in my opinion and Leafs had a ton of those.

My take is that Andersen stepped up in the regular season to cover dat dere

... but the pressure of the playoffs got to him (Leafs were horrible in goals against in the post-season).

Just my opinion, please don't take it personally...
I never really do take anything personally on these boards,but some folks like to throw insults and to what end?
Anyway,you're definitely not wrong in your assessment!
This began because I corrected a poster who stated that the Leafs were 15-20 in defense! That's all! Fact is,they were 11th in Goals Against! The why ,the how,the who and all the rest are for those who wish to spend time sorting it out! I really don't care about shots taken,there is too much to consider from what is a moving target!

Feb 24, 2017
For that haul it would have to be a top-pairing guy on a good contract. That is a valuable (and very cost controlled) haul being asked for.
Nylander is a great piece. Kapanen is Mason Raymond reincarnated. Not a bad thing. Just don’t expect much. 31st overall pick is a decent piece. This should get like maybe a veteran #2 lefty d or an old warhorse number one or a righty top 4 d with good potential still left.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
To me, Nylander and the Leafs seems similar to Wheeler and the Bruins. Very good young player with tonnes of upside that you know/think is going to be exceptionally good... but might not fit into a team that's trying to win now. Especially if he's using Draisatl as similar contract. - not saying he is but.. Forget about Hall-Larsson. Luke Schenn for JVR might be more similar.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Nylander is a great piece. Kapanen is Mason Raymond reincarnated. Not a bad thing. Just don’t expect much. 31st overall pick is a decent piece. This should get like maybe a veteran #2 lefty d or an old warhorse number one or a righty top 4 d with good potential still left.
For all three? Er...no. Young, top pairing guy on a contract that isn't expiring (and is reasonably prices) would be the price for a package like that.

Also as much as I hope that Leafs 1st rounder is pick #31 odds are it is more likely to be in the mid to late 20s. No one can really call a Cup for their team a year in advance.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
He wants to get paid and deserves to get paid, the Tavares signing basically forced the hand of a nylander trade, no matter how many leafs fans refuse to believe this scenario.

Nylander will get traded within the next 12 months, I have no doubt.

That's okay.

Tavares for free makes Nylander expendable. The Leafs can just bridge him to his UFA years and trade him if they wanted to.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Keep your crap. Vancouver will keep Tanev.
Go ahead then. It remains that 40 games per year of a 28 year old Tanev isn't worth losing the prime years of a 22 year old Nylander who already has broken 60 points in his first two rookie seasons. Making that trade would hurt the Leafs both now and in the future, and I think Dubas is smart enough to see that obvious fact; it isn't like he is Chiarelli or Bergevin.

If Benning has a similarly inflated opinion of Tanev's value... well that explains why he still hasn't been traded after a year of being shopped.

Reactions: Walshy7

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
The poster I was responding to was saying Kapanen or Brown for Tanev. i.e. crap for a proven NHL defenseman.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Go ahead then. It remains that 40 games per year of a 28 year old Tanev isn't worth losing the prime years of a 22 year old Nylander who already has broken 60 points in his first two rookie seasons. Making that trade would hurt the Leafs both now and in the future, and I think Dubas is smart enough to see that obvious fact; it isn't like he is Chiarelli or Bergevin.

If Benning has a similarly inflated opinion of Tanev's value... well that explains why he still hasn't been traded after a year of being shopped.

Tanev has never been shopped by Vancouver. Its just fans and media thinking hes going to be traded.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Who cares?

Cool, and he asked an even better question. Please provide shot location to back up your comment about the quantity.

Or if I put it the way you prefer:

You don't think shot quality in an interesting variable when talking about team defence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad