TSN: Leafs again kicking tires on Luke Glendening

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Well close the thread and end it . “It’s freaking glendening”

Exactly. A player Toronto cannot afford to have on their roster. Leaf's GM is an idiot for "kicking tires" when he can't even pay the players he already has. He needs to stop wasting peoples' time and figure out how to manage a cap. He really should be spending his time reading "how to manage a hockey club for dummies" and learn how to work a calculator.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Exactly. A player Toronto cannot afford to have on their roster. Leaf's GM is an idiot for "kicking tires" when he can't even pay the players he already has. He needs to stop wasting peoples' time and figure out how to manage a cap. He really should be spending his time reading "how to manage a hockey club for dummies" and learn how to work a calculator.
What? The Leafs are fine.

Reactions: Adityase

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
According to another poster (I can't watch) the link in the OP mentioned salary retention. He might have figured out how to work that calculator.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Retaining half the salary makes it more appealing because if he doesn't work out he can be buried. No chance I give up a 2nd for him. I don't think I'd trade any pick for him. I'd do like Martin Marincin. Detroit alleviates some cap room and gets a cheap depth defenseman for their rebuild.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Retaining half the salary makes it more appealing because if he doesn't work out he can be buried. No chance I give up a 2nd for him. I don't think I'd trade any pick for him. I'd do like Martin Marincin. Detroit alleviates some cap room and gets a cheap depth defenseman for their rebuild.
Wait...really? Not even a 7th? I know he's just a 4th line player but he's one of the best 4th line players in the game. I'm sure there would be many playoff teams willing to trade a low pick for a retained Glendening

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
LOL

Nobody wanted that garbage for free

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Wait...really? Not even a 7th? I know he's just a 4th line player but he's one of the best 4th line players in the game. I'm sure there would be many playoff teams willing to trade a low pick for a retained Glendening

Others might. I just don't see how he would be a vast improvement on what's there already for the Leafs. I actually think the 4th line is vibing anyways with Johnsson there (but he should be playing higher up). So the value for me, even if he brings a necessary grit element, just isn't there to give more than a depth player like Marincin. I'd probably give up more value if it were him and someone like Jensen.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Wings don't need to retain any salary on Glendening to obtain a 2nd rounder for him. Wings also aren't interested in helping Toronto Maple Leafs predicament. They can't afford him.

TMLs gave up 26 goals against Bruins last year's 1st round of the playoffs before being eliminated. They clearly have no interest (and money) to add a top-notch shut-down player in the league.

Wings fans watched how Glendening single-handedly shut down Tampa Bay Lightning's top line, then got injured and Tampa rolled Detroit. Pavel Datsyuk got embarrassed by Tampa's top line. Babcock always said Luke Glendening is a guy you win with and liked to match him up against elite top line talent to shut them down; and he did.

Blashill - last season

“He just gives you so many dimensions. He wins face-offs, he’s an excellent, excellent defensive player. He brings that physicality. He’s a net-presence guy. You put him in a lot of different roles and he does a good job.
“He’s a winner, and he’s the type of player you win with.”

I'm happy not helping Toronto get past the 1st round of the playoffs, let alone winning a cup. I prefer keeping Glendening, or trading him to a Western team. He's a nightmare to play against.

TMLs fans, please keep your 3rd rounder... we don't want it! Go trade somewhere else, or go find your own undrafted player.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

What stat shows he is one of the best 4th liners in the league?

Only thing I can find is he is good at face offs, 56% this year.
His Corsi is 41%... his corsi is one of the worst on his team (which is bad)
His Fenwick is ghastly horrible.
His PDO this year is 104.9, so he is getting incredibly lucky and still getting killed.
Expected Goal differential is -10.5.

By every measurable stat, Freddy the Goat is having a better season (except faceoffs, but he is at 54%)

He may be a half decent 4th liner, but thats not a guy a team should be trading a early pick for.
Heck, a late pick is probably a stretch unless a team has a injury at 4c.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
What stat shows he is one of the best 4th liners in the league?

Only thing I can find is he is good at face offs, 56% this year.
His Corsi is 41%... his corsi is one of the worst on his team (which is bad)
His Fenwick is ghastly horrible.
His PDO this year is 104.9, so he is getting incredibly lucky and still getting killed.
Expected Goal differential is -10.5.

By every measurable stat, Freddy the Goat is having a better season (except faceoffs, but he is at 54%)

He may be a half decent 4th liner, but thats not a guy a team should be trading a early pick for.
Heck, a late pick is probably a stretch unless a team has a injury at 4c.

Watching a game too difficult? Or do you just not know how to evaluate talent?

Using online stats to determine personal player evaluations on a bottom 3 rebuilding team seems ignorant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad