TSN: Leafs again kicking tires on Luke Glendening

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
As a Leafs fan I'd be pretty pissed if they give up assets, again, for a 4th line C. That's not what we need, at all.

TMLs do need winners that can help you get past the 1st round of the playoffs and not give up 26 goals to a mediocre scoring team that eliminated you.

But, probably should start with capable defense and goaltending.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Watching a game too difficult? Or do you just not know how to evaluate talent?

Using online stats to determine personal player evaluations on a bottom 3 rebuilding team seems ignorant.

I watch a ton of Wings games, im in Windsor (right across the river)
He seems like the prototypical 4th liner from a few years ago, similar to how Kris Russel is a prototypical 2nd pairing guy from a decade ago.

I use stats because every team says their guy is great, and he is always better than the guy on the other team who he would be replacing. Every 'decent' player in a trade rumor, HFBoards people say '2nd or a 3rd at WORST'

There is nothing wrong with LG as a player on your 4th line. He plays hard, relatively smart and skates ok. But that by no means makes him better than the average 4th liner.

He costs 800k more than league minimum, which is what he should probably be making considering his stats and ability to drive/shut down play.

I had to suffer through watching Babs play LG way to friggin much for the short time they were both in Detroit. Babs loves his toys, and the Leafs need to be limiting them not giving him more IMO

JustinCase

Dec 1, 2018
Ontario
Hard Pass.

Boyle, and Plekanec were both considerably better options than Glendening is now, and look where that got us.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The idea of calling Glendening a “shut down” player is laughable.Bergeron or Toews are “shut down guys”.

He is NOT a Dubas player anyways, not with those stats.

Reactions: Jozay

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I watch a ton of Wings games, im in Windsor (right across the river)
He seems like the prototypical 4th liner from a few years ago, similar to how Kris Russel is a prototypical 2nd pairing guy from a decade ago.

I use stats because every team says their guy is great, and he is always better than the guy on the other team who he would be replacing. Every 'decent' player in a trade rumor, HFBoards people say '2nd or a 3rd at WORST'

There is nothing wrong with LG as a player on your 4th line. He plays hard, relatively smart and skates ok. But that by no means makes him better than the average 4th liner.

He costs 800k more than league minimum, which is what he should probably be making considering his stats and ability to drive/shut down play.

I had to suffer through watching Babs play LG way to friggin much for the short time they were both in Detroit. Babs loves his toys, and the Leafs need to be limiting them not giving him more IMO

It was just a few years ago Glendening was shutting down the high octane offense Tampa Bay lightning in the playoffs. Glen got injured and Tampa went on to destroy our back of the net and, ultimately, eliminated us. That's what Glen brings in the playoffs.

Every game I watch rarely do I ever see a bottom center do what Glen brings every night. Sometimes I do and it's frustrating to watch.

I honestly don't want to trade Glendening. He's a gamer. I could see him becoming our Dallas Drake of 2008 when it is time for us to start winning our cups again.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The idea of calling Glendening a “shut down” player is laughable.Bergeron or Toews are “shut down guys”.

Those are two way guys. Guys that score and shut down. No Luke is not those guys. Go watch Red Wings & TBL playoffs 2015 and you'll learn what a shut down guy is.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
It was just a few years ago Glendening was shutting down the high octane offense Tampa Bay lightning in the playoffs. Glen got injured and Tampa went on to destroy our back of the net and, ultimately, eliminated us. That's what Glen brings in the playoffs.

Every game I watch rarely do I every see a bottom center do what Glen brings every night. Sometimes I do and it's frustrating to watch.

I honestly don't want to trade Glendening. He's a gamer. He could see him becoming our Dallas Drake of 2008 when it is time for us to start winning our cups again.

Yeah, he looked good in 2014/2015. He looked good in those playoffs for sure! No doubt.
But that was 4 years ago, and things change.

Just dont want him on the Leafs for anything close to what the asking price is. a 2nd rounder? Yikes.
Most id do would be a decent prospect and a late pick.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, he looked good in 2014/2015. He looked good in those playoffs for sure! No doubt.
But that was 4 years ago, and things change.

Just dont want him on the Leafs for anything close to what the asking price is. a 2nd rounder? Yikes.
Most id do would be a decent prospect and a late pick.

Whats changed though? He hasnt played in the playoffs lately, thats about it. Glendening is a player you can say, go shadow so and so, frustrate them and dont let them score and he'll do a good job of it. Hes fast and decently physical and is one of the better faceoff guys in the league. I'm not saying you necessarily, but the people in this thread using advanced stats for a 4th line center on a bottom 3 team in the league are making themselves look pretty dumb. Yes a fourth line center on a rebuilding team will have bad advanced stats, but he provides a lot that no one on the Leafs 4th line does.

He would absolutely be a better pick up for the fourth line and playoffs than Plekanec last year. And its obviously a weakness Babcock wants fixed based on trades the last 2 deadlines, at least with Glendening, you get him for a couple runs.

As for your price, I guess it depends on your definition of decent prospect but a 2nd is a fair price by itself. Hes every bit the player that Boyle is, who just went for a 2nd as a rental. Some people in here need to watch hockey games instead of looking at naturalstatrick or corsica. If you think theres many 4th line centers as good as Glendening in the league, youre wrong

Reactions: Hobnobs

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
Even if the player can help (debatable), how do the Leafs add another million on the cap next year for a fourth liner?

(He would presumably replace a player making close to the minimum).

Mar 14, 2011

This move has Babcock written all over it, if I'm not mistaken he was Babcock's "Zach Hyman" during his last 2 years with Detroit.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Leafs didn’t have Tavares last season, and he’s taken a ton of icetime. The Leafs just need a replacement level guy to eat up 8min a night on that 4th line and hey have that already.

Glendening is the kind of guy that Lou might have valued but not a guy like Dubas

Reactions: Ziggdiezan and zaqq

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hard Pass.

Boyle, and Plekanec were both considerably better options than Glendening is now, and look where that got us.

Not siding one way or the other, but this is a totally different season and team, that the Leafs have, then when they acquired those two. Toronto is considered a strong contender now, they weren't even with the addition of Boyle and Plekanec.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad