Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Muzzin for Grundstrom, Durzi and a 2019 first round pick Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
So..Carl Grundstrom has 2 goals in his first 2 games with the Kings. Could it be possible that Dubas ****ed up here? Grundstrom was the one forward prospect I personally preferred not to get rid of, but wasn’t overly upset that we did because we got a solid defenseman that we desperately needed, but if Grundstrom keeps this up and becomes a good player, I’ll be upset.

You give to get.

Everyone here knows Grundstrom was a nice prospect. But Muzzin wasn't coming for free.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
Muzzin makes team better. But can't see him being the difference between a cup and going out in first or second round? Way I see it just losing first round pick. They needed stud defenseman. I would added to the pick for a stud d-man. A Nylander, maybe a defenseman prospect for a annual Norris candidate. Big price to pay but what you have to do for 2 or 3 cups. They don't come cheap

He might be the difference between going out in the 2nd round instead of the 1st. Of course it is all about winning the cup, but if this is not the year, we should really get out of the 1st round this year and build on that for next year.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
He might be the difference between going out in the 2nd round instead of the 1st. Of course it is all about winning the cup, but if this is not the year, we should really get out of the 1st round this year and build on that for next year.

We’re in it to win the cup NOW. This year. And next year. We have Muzzin for two cup runs, minimum, maybe more.

Reactions: Macallan18

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Can we stop being stupid here and just be happy for Carl? We got a much needed top 4 D in Muzzin who in hindsight is a God send since we've lost Gardiner and Dermy for extended periods here.

I for one think this is a definition of a win win trade. Grundstrom plays gritty hockey like LA and that division requires. I'm glad to see him doing well.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Currently we have Muzzin for a season and a half.
If we make no headway in the playoffs and Muzzin walks for free, the price was very high.

Grundstrom is the type of forward we are seriously lacking.

Need to see how it plays out but I would have preferred getting Pesce under contract for that price. And a RHD to boot.

We got what we got but not exactly quite what we need with the price.

Reactions: gordonshumway

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
So..Carl Grundstrom has 2 goals in his first 2 games with the Kings. Could it be possible that Dubas ****ed up here? Grundstrom was the one forward prospect I personally preferred not to get rid of, but wasn’t overly upset that we did because we got a solid defenseman that we desperately needed, but if Grundstrom keeps this up and becomes a good player, I’ll be upset.
Pretty silly to get upset over a trade where both teams got something they needed lol

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That's awesome for him. He's a good prospect and likely with a NHL career. I'd pump the breaks a little though on his debut since we've seen these kind of debuts all the time.

Muzzin has been a pretty good add for us though. He had some tough games here and there but he's really added an element we desperately needed and he can actually move the puck.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

You're upset that we drafted and developed an asset that is good enough to be used to acquire a piece we so desperately needed for a couple of cup runs?

Reactions: Macallan18

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
This literally proves underlying stats cannot be depended on for adequate player evaluation. He had a very tough game, as evidenced by the fact that TSN ex-NHL analysts decided to speak about it during the intermission and how he needs to be better than last night. Eye test always trumps statistics when coming from experienced/knowledgeable eyes.

It also proves, as is the case with the other Jake, that big hiccups/brainfarts can override an otherwise solid game. You can play a 90-95% good game and have two brutal giveaways or mistakes and it turns that game into a very bad one quickly.
lol eyetest from guys like Kypreos???? No thanks.
The eye test and superficial goal stats got us Clarkson, remember?
And I love the Gardiner reference when Rielly has more giveaways. But omg, when Rielly gives away the puck, its never as important as when Jake G does, right???:laugh:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Uh no?

We need defensemen.

Reactions: Leafidelity

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
in a word, no. You have to give to get. Lets see if Grundstorm scores a goal a game over 80 games next year.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Kings fans were also extremely high on him and expected a King's Random, pardon the pun.

The truth is somewhere in between. He's shown how he can be useful, but we have to utilize him properly and expect him to thrive when we are playing that mad dash stretch pass, track meet nonsense. Get him out there with a skating partner and dial it back to a short outlet pass game.

"Utilizing properly" is Babcocks weakness.

Has a dream roster with 2 Franchise Cs only 1 is being utilized properly.
Has an elite passing winger stuck as a C with 2 players with no offense.
Has deep winger depth but uses an old veteran who is in decline, and another player who can just PK and skate fast.

And here...
He deploys Muzzin in a non hitting, skating game, where we need to adapt to an useful asset who can essentially shutdown the left side.

Adapt...Utilize properly... Babcock?

We will see how we do in playoffs vs Bruins.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
As much as it hurt to have to give up Grundstrom to get Muzzin, in the end you have to give up something to get something. Grundstrom had to go so we didn't have to give up off of our current roster. Ideally it would have been nice if Brown was having a better season, then we could have got rid of him instead. But overall I have happy with the trade for today, Muzzin has fit it nicely and will help us this season and next where we need help most and that is on the backend.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The hard hitting, goal scoring, beard growing, crease clearing Muzzin is the one I hope is starting to emerge after an adjustment period fitting into the new team. That goal he scored from the beauty Nylander sauce is what I expected when we got him. We need him to be that player. He should be a big factor these playoffs for the trade to be worth it.

Reactions: dsred

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
You give to get.

Everyone here knows Grundstrom was a nice prospect. But Muzzin wasn't coming for free.

the leafs could win a cup, and I bet you not, someone will post Grundstrom's stat line mid way through next season and say "why did they give up on him".

I like Grundstrom. He's not an elite prospect and that's fine giving up mid level ones.

gordonshumway

Sep 18, 2010
Currently we have Muzzin for a season and a half.
If we make no headway in the playoffs and Muzzin walks for free, the price was very high.

Grundstrom is the type of forward we are seriously lacking.

Need to see how it plays out but I would have preferred getting Pesce under contract for that price. And a RHD to boot.

We got what we got but not exactly quite what we need with the price.

100% agree with this post - people will defend this cause well, Kyle D seems to do no wrong (for now, until the pack turns on him) but this was a square peg in a round hole. Not what this team needed.
Durzi I was ok with but losing both a 1st and Grundstrom in this trade was a steep price, make no mistake about it.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Grundstrom has two goals in two NHL games - TSN.ca
Carl Grundstrom is off to a strong start with the Los Angeles Kings.

Grundstrom is just the second player in Kings history to accomplish the feat of scoring in each of his first two NHL games, joining Brian Boyle who did so in 2008.

He said Sunday he using January's trade as motivation with the Kings.

"Of course. I saw it as an opportunity, so I think it was really good for my career," Grundstrom said.
Grundstrom finished plus-1 against the Ducks and saw a boost in ice time to 18:15 in the victory. He admitted post-game he's been running on adrenaline for the majority of his first two games.

"Pretty much, of course. Probably going to settle down after a while," he said.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
people will defend this cause ....

Muzzin: 19gms, 48pt pace, +6, 52.1cf%, 52.7scf%

Leafs Before trade: 30-17-2, 104pt pace, 3.55gfa, 2.86gaa, +.69gdiff, 51.7cf%, 52.2scf%
Leafs Since trade: 12-4-3, 117pt pace, 3.68gfa, 2.79gaa, +.89gdiff, 51.7cf%, 52.5scf%

better question is - why would anyone have to "defend" this?

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I thought the move was steep at the time and still do. Grundstrom and Durzi ok, but I wasn’t a fan of throwing in the 1st round pick too.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

gordonshumway

Sep 18, 2010
Muzzin: 19gms, 48pt pace, +6, 52.1cf%, 52.7scf%

Leafs Before trade: 30-17-2, 104pt pace, 3.55gfa, 2.86gaa, +.69gdiff, 51.7cf%, 52.2scf%
Leafs Since trade: 12-4-3, 117pt pace, 3.68gfa, 2.79gaa, +.89gdiff, 51.7cf%, 52.5scf%

better question is - why would anyone have to "defend" this?

Maybe because you generally wouldn't call giving up a 1st and two former 2nd rd picks for a second pairing dman a great deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad