Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Muzzin for Grundstrom, Durzi and a 2019 first round pick Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Welcome to reality and real people.

The OVERWHELMING majority of deadline deals for UFAs dont work out. Its fact.

That it is why it was a priority for Dubas to get someone with term.

It took Karlsson 4 months to figure it out in San Jose, for example. It takes time for these guys to find their groove in a new team and system.

NO,,, IT"S NOT A FACT

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Literally the reason why the Leafs acquired Muzzin early was because they expected an adjustment period where he could work out all the kinks before the playoffs.

Yet people are still complaining.

Obvious he’s a good player, didn’t play well last night and has probably had equal number of games where he’s looked really good and where he’s looked mediocre. But it was all expected so I guess that’s the point...

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Just want to comment that last night the Muzzin/Zaitsev had the best underlying numbers of any pairing on either team....combined with the fact that they had the highest amount of defensive zone starts on either team.

I dont understand this fanbase sometimes.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
It takes time for most guys to fit in to a roster. Its why most rentals rarely work out at the deadline. Muzzin has the extra year to do so.

On top of that his wife is expecting a baby any time now and is probably still in LA. No one can shuffle that aside. Its hard enough when youre in the same city, nevermind across the continent.
Ah. So players are a liability for a full year after they switch teams. Didn’t know that.

Makes me upset now that dubas didn’t add more defensive depth at the deadline. Not for THIS years playoff run... but to give them their “entire year” to adapt to the trade for NEXT years playoff run.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Kings played a d to D system, where Toronto plays a stretch pass system. In LA's system the defender usually had multiple outs 3, 4 ,5 outs, in Toronto's system the defender typically has 1 maybe 2 outs and he has to make the decision quickly.

Before someone mentions the merits of each system, I'm not debating that, I'm simply supporting Nith comments in saying Muzzin comes form a system that is completely different than Toronto's.

Muz looked really slow in yesterdays game, like he was skating in thick mud.

Maybe his diaper slipped to his skates from being hit so much.

I'm sure he will get better, but we know that he won't get any faster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluelines

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Ah. So players are a liability for a full year after they switch teams. Didn’t know that.

Makes me upset now that dubas didn’t add more defensive depth at the deadline. Not for THIS years playoff run... but to give them their “entire year” to adapt to the trade for NEXT years playoff run.

I didnt say a year, nor did I say hes a liability. In relative terms, even if hes performing at a worse level then his career norms, hes still better then alternative.

I expect by next October, after he has another few months of this season, and a training camp, he will be much better then he is performing currently. His family life should also be significantly less stressful.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
How would you send him into battle? (i hate how questions like this cause posters to flame people) i'm simply just trying to start a discussion about the aforementioned topic

with the injuries it's no longer an issue, but I was referring to ice time

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Muzzin: 15gms, 7pts (38pt pace), +5, 53.3cf%, 53.1scf%

What do you think of Muzzin? I like him. After watching him for an extended period, I think he is clearly inferior to Gardiner. Not by a wide margin, but by a clear margin.

I had wondered which Jake would come out on top. For me, it's Gards.

Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to see what Muzzin can bring in the playoffs.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The grass ain't so greener on the other side, is it?!

How many people all-year long were constantly bitching and moaning that we had no physical prescence on the blueline in our top-4.

Well guess what, we do now! And those SAME PEOPLE who were bitching about that are now bitching that Muzzin isn't good enough.

WOW!!!

Reactions: Menzinger

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
What do you think of Muzzin? I like him. After watching him for an extended period, I think he is clearly inferior to Gardiner. Not by a wide margin, but by a clear margin.

I had wondered which Jake would come out on top. For me, it's Gards.

Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to see what Muzzin can bring in the playoffs.

Muzzin's what he's always been - a very good puck mover, rock solid physical, great hockey sense on both ends....but somewhat mistake prone.

A bunch of us said when we got him that many leafs fans would freak out when they saw him make mistakes. None of this is a surprise.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014

How many people all-year long were constantly *****ing and moaning that we had no physical prescence on the blueline in our top-4.

Well guess what, we do now! And those SAME PEOPLE who were *****ing about that are now *****ing that Muzzin isn't good enough.

WOW!!!

What’s concerning is how low his hockey IQ is and situational awareness.

There’s no excuse for his bone headed pinch when we were up a goal, especially knowing we had our crappy back up goalie playing in a hostile environment. It’s not just 1 bad game. He’s consistently making bad decisions. God awfully slow of a skater too.

All of this will be swept under the rug if he comes through in the playoffs, but it’s concerning at the moment.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
When we first saw him in action after the trade we saw a few things...big hits and lots of slap shots. Now after Babs told him we don't do those type of things here...he is playing like crapola. That short handed goal is on him IMO. He barely made an effort to go after the puck when he muffed the pass at the blueline. I think the guy is getting SLOWER if that is even possible...Whoever signs this guy to an extension is going to be really sorry...he would barely beat out a 38yr Hainsey in a foot race.

He came from a system that had forwards that were defensively responsible...we don't have that going for us in our system. So, it made him look better than he really is playing in LA's system compared to playing in ours.

I don't understand how a guy could go from laying out big hits to being hit so quickly. I have a feeling its Babs who tells them to stick check and blah blah because a guy named Nick Lidstrom used to do that and he was the best. You would think the guy is either injured or just plain confused on how to play in this messed up system we have going here. I can't figure out which one is the issue.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

How many people all-year long were constantly *****ing and moaning that we had no physical prescence on the blueline in our top-4.

Well guess what, we do now! And those SAME PEOPLE who were *****ing about that are now *****ing that Muzzin isn't good enough.

WOW!!!

It’s pretty telling that many of the biggest critics are the same bemoaning the lack of toughness or complaining about no improvements to the d. Almost as if they’re more interested in complaining than being consistent about how they think about the game

Reactions: IPS

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
What’s concerning is how low his hockey IQ is and situational awareness.

There’s no excuse for his bone headed pinch when we were up a goal, especially knowing we had our crappy back up goalie playing in a hostile environment. It’s not just 1 bad game. He’s consistently making bad decisions. God awfully slow of a skater too.

All of this will be swept under the rug if he comes through in the playoffs, but it’s conderning at the moment.

Muzzin's a risk-taker man, all big-hitting defensemen are. When you go for big hits and assert yourself, you always run the risk of putting yourself out of position.

Nobody said Muzzin is a genius on the ice. He's big, strong, booming shot, and he's solid defensively. This is literally the prototype defensemen that people said we've lacked for 3 years now.

Well, here he is folks. You got exactly what you wanted. Now about that grass not being greener...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad