Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Brennan Menell for a cond. 7th rd pick in 2022 [Upd 8/1: signed 1 yr/2 way contract]

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Mennel is better than Holl hands down. He is much faster and see's the ice better. And he puts up points.

Reactions: Thervguy

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
i mean holl has a track record, but i truly think menell is a good nhler. he reminds me a bit of another small wild defenseman.
He's got a track record of sucking. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: And really, Holl has not had any competition for that spot. And I think Sandin and Lillegren are also better. They both had good showings I thought. But this Mennel kid, just wow. You'd have to agree he just stood out and often times dominated play.

Reactions: Thervguy

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
He's got a track record of sucking. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: And really, Holl has not had any competition for that spot. And I think Sandin and Lillegren are also better. They both had good showings I thought. But this Mennel kid, just wow. You'd have to agree he just stood out and often times dominated play.
That said, could be a one off but his other games were not as showy but didnt suck

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
I think Holl will be the new whipping boy on the leafs this year. He does not fit the way they are built with speed and skill....which he has neither.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
ye if i were the boss i would have menell over holl(ive never liked holl lol), but im not so im not expecting them to do it. but we need to keep him on the roster and send sandin back to the marlies at minimum to really see what we have before somebody else scoops him and gets a good player for free.

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
And to think, we could have had McCann but let him go to keep Holl. Who we were told was not replaceable for his cap hit. Yet there are a number of guys who could not only take his spot in the lineup, but potentially upgrade it.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
And to think, we could have had McCann but let him go to keep Holl. Who we were told was not replaceable for his cap hit. Yet there are a number of guys who could not only take his spot in the lineup, but potentially upgrade it.
It was to keep Kerfoot, not Holl.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
ive done the math so often i sleep dreaming of them
with a 21 man roster your either keeping 1 extra dman or 1 forward. ... most likely a forward.
My guess is that whoever it is will be waiver exempt, so that extra player could change in and out with some others (ex. Semyonov/Liljegren). That'd give them the option too of carrying a 20-man roster on certain days to accumulate more cap space, without having to worry about waivers.

Reactions: 29Potvin

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

Holl is an experienced 3rd pairing PK guy playing 2nd pair minutes signed to a decent contract.
He is consistent and reliable, and shows up to work every day.
One could say one of the least of our worries.

We do not have a reliable RHD to replace Holl's PK minutes.
Enjoy, don't hate on this low event guy.

Last edited:

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
My guess is that whoever it is will be waiver exempt, so that extra player could change in and out with some others (ex. Semyonov/Liljegren). That'd give them the option too of carrying a 20-man roster on certain days to accumulate more cap space, without having to worry about waivers.
Paper demotions on all off days for Sandin and/or Liljegren to accrue space

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
i dont understand why people are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. you will not survive a season with 0 cap and a 21 man roster. if 1 player is day to day with an injury your salary cap is blown. you had better hope for LTIR and not IR.

I'm not going to let this go until people realize the only way to make the cap work is:
trade kerfoot for 1mil-1.5mil roster player, You get to keep a 23 man roster, acrru 1.5+mil in cap and dont have to lose menel, brooks, engvall on waivers.
or
trade dermott and engvall. you get a 22 man roster, acru 500k in cap and dont have to lose menel, or brooks on waivers

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Paper demotions on all off days for Sandin and/or Liljegren to accrue space

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
i dont understand why people are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. you will not survive a season with 0 cap and a 21 man roster. if 1 player is day to day with an injury your salary cap is blown. you had better hope for LTIR and not IR.

I'm not going to let this go until people realize the only way to make the cap work is:
trade kerfoot for 1mil-1.5mil roster player, You get to keep a 23 man roster, acrru 1.5+mil in cap and dont have to lose menel, brooks, engvall on waivers.
or
trade dermott and engvall. you get a 22 man roster, acru 500k in cap and dont have to lose menel, or brooks on waivers
@Ashdown2 can't tell if you're trolling, if you can't comprehend what we've said and/or some aspects of cap space, accumulation, & waivers/recalls. CapFriendly - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps is a good website if you'd like to learn more.

With a 21-man roster, they would not initially start with 0 cap space, but would not realistically have enough space to carry a 22-man roster (initially).

Keeping Engvall up as one of the 21 would really handcuff them, and they couldn't accumulate much from there.

Having a non waiver-exempt player at closer to league minimum would allow them to accumulate some cap space; it'd likely take at least a couple months to carry a 22-man roster, likely longer considering injuries are probable.

They could also (with Engvall either mostly buried, waived, claimed, or traded) carry a 21-man roster where they can carry a 20-man roster on certain days to accrue greater cap savings (as @Stonehands1990 said, a 'paper demotion'). This would not even require a player being up for grabs on waivers, if they were waiver exempt (see: Waivers Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps) or temporarily/conditionally waiver exempt (under a circumstance such as a player clearing waivers, that player may be conditionally waiver exempt for a limited period of time; see: Waivers FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps).

Hope this helps.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
On the cap front, if we were really cutthroat out the gate, make sure Engvall is claimed or traded, paper waive/demote Simmonds, and make use of Liljegren and Sandin's waiver exemption we could ice this on day 1

Ritchie-Matthews-Marner
Bunting-Tavares-Nylander
Kerfoot-Kampf-Kase
Mikheyev-Brooks-Spezza

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott Menell

and have 1.65m in cap space. That wouldn't take very long to accrue to the point we can fit Simmonds + one Sandin/Liljegren. By that point lots of things could happen. We could need them for injuries. Markets could open up for Dermott/Menell.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Holl's numbers are certainly down when not playing with Muzzin but I'd be very skeptical about breaking up one of the best shutdown pairings in the league.

Since start of 2019 season (when they were made a regular pairing):

Muzzin/Holl:
QoC: Top end shutdown
Ozone Faceoff %: 45.28
CF%: 51.08 (+1.00 REL)
SF%: 55.53 (+4.04 REL)
SCF%: 55.26 (+1.55 REL)
HDCF%: 57.01 (+4.05 REL)
xGF%: 57.22 (+4.60 REL)
GF%: 56.74 (+3.08 REL)

We can look around but I'm confident in saying they are a top 5 shutdown pairing in the league the last 3 years and only cost 7.625 million combined.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Holl's numbers are certainly down when not playing with Muzzin but I'd be very skeptical about breaking up one of the best shutdown pairings in the league.

Since start of 2019 season (when they were made a regular pairing):

Muzzin/Holl:
QoC: Top end shutdown
Ozone Faceoff %: 45.28
CF%: 51.08 (+1.00 REL)
SF%: 55.53 (+4.04 REL)
SCF%: 55.26 (+1.55 REL)
HDCF%: 57.01 (+4.05 REL)
xGF%: 57.22 (+4.60 REL)
GF%: 56.74 (+3.08 REL)

We can look around but I'm confident in saying they are a top 5 shutdown pairing in the league the last 3 years and only cost 7.625 million combined.
I don't get all the hate of Holl when the pairs been so good. When's the last time the Leafs had a solid shutdown pair? We've badly needed it for years, now we have one & people want Holl at 2m gone.

Mar 12, 2009
Holl is new scapegoat, Minnell is shiny new toy being penciled in for a bigger role based on a few pre season games. No surprises with Leaf fans. I want to see more of Minnell and see what he can do in some real games.

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
I'm not sure people hate Holl, its just the position he's been put in without trying much else.
He wasn't great before Muzzin joined, and he hasn't been great when Muzzin is not around.

I think most fans would like to see if we can make that pair better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad