Prospect Info: Leafs 7th. pick at #202 Andreas Johnson - LW - Frolunda Jr.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Over the years..

Miroslav Frycer(40 goals),Berezin(40 goals),Gunner- 6th rounder, Granberg -4th rounder, P.Ihnachak(60 pts,now a scout). We have harvested over in Europe. I doubt our first round pick would change if Bergmann picked it as Nonnis would have final say. We seem to go North American for the first 3 rounds then turn any picks later(round 4 to 7) to the Euro scouts.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
A first round pick isn't going to be any better just because Bergman made the pick. His talent seems to be in finding talent that goes unrecognized by most.

i guess we'll never know because bergman has never had the chance.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
i guess we'll never know because bergman has never had the chance.

There were only 5 guys from Bergman's stomping grounds drafted in the first round last year, and all were scouted heavily by everyone. "Giving" Bergman our first pick could only have meant we would have selected Andre Burakovsky instead of Gauthier, simply because he was the only first rounder left from his area, or gone completely off the board.

It doesn't really make sense.

Last edited:

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
bergman is the best scout we have. too bad he never gets to pick the first rounder.
I'm pretty sure Bergman's been around since the mid-90s, so he can probably be given some credit for Steen in 2002 and Rask in 2005.

Assigning draft picks to individual scouts is difficult though, it's like assigning Simpsons jokes to the writer credited for an episode when scripts are actually entirely rewritten by a writers room. I remember Bergman getting credit for Kaberle as people assumed it was him given he's the chief Euro scout, but it was actually Anders Hedberg that noticed Kaberle.

As Burke made clear too, the 1st round pick is often as much a GM's pick as the scouting staff's.

You also need to consider that Scandinavians being ranked in the 1st round is relatively rare compared to the plethora of North Americans that usually dominate the rankings (as Joey Hoser said above).

While I do think Bergman's been a real gem for us with late-round picks like Gunnarsson, Stralman, and Stalberg, he's also had his fair share of misses (as is a given with late-round picks); he's not infallible.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
bergman has had his share of misses, but he does seem to have a pretty good rate if you look at him in the later rounds.

we also had an excellent scout in russia, but don't seem to be using him as much.

who knows if he would have selected burakovsky, he could have picked someone totally unexpected.

catgoldfish

Nov 15, 2004
British Columbia
Miroslav Frycer(40 goals),Berezin(40 goals),Gunner- 6th rounder, Granberg -4th rounder, P.Ihnachak(60 pts,now a scout). We have harvested over in Europe. I doubt our first round pick would change if Bergmann picked it as Nonnis would have final say. We seem to go North American for the first 3 rounds then turn any picks later(round 4 to 7) to the Euro scouts.

We never drafted Frycer. The Nordiques did.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
bergman has had his share of misses, but he does seem to have a pretty good rate if you look at him in the later rounds.

we also had an excellent scout in russia, but don't seem to be using him as much.

who knows if he would have selected burakovsky, he could have picked someone totally unexpected.

The next Swede or Fin wasn't selected until 34th overall, the next at 41st. You'd be going pretty far off the board just to pick someone under Bergman's watch, and what if he doesn't particularly like those guys?

It just doesn't work the way you are suggesting. Leafs management surely talked with Bergman about Burakovsky, and as an organization that decided Gauthier was the better pick. They're not going to take Burakovsky just because that would make him a Bergman pick.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Johnson with another big night Tuesday, scored two goals and got an assist. He is now at 5-3-8 +5 through 7 games with the big club and tied for 4th in the league in scoring.

From what I saw, he likes to be the third man into the offensive zone and then change gears and head to the net. He most definitely has an eye for the net. He is by no means a power forward though, gets tossed around at times, but he is good with the puck in tight and is comfortable shooting it or passing it under pressure. He also was willing to give or take a hit along the boards to make a play. His defensive game is good for the SEL as he uses his speed (similar to Kadri), but I am not sure if it will translate to the NHL.

He is definitely a top 6 or bust prospect for this team. With our offensive depth at wing, I think it would be safe to assume he stays in Europe for another year before we try and bring him over to the AHL. The SHL is a better development league than the OHL.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Would he have picked Karlsson over Schenn?

Yep, we'll never know.

The point is, if you "give" our first rounder to Bergman, then you automatically restrict your first round selection to just the couple guys under his watch, which would be stupid.

You could speculate Karlsson over Schenn, but we'd also have MSP over Kadri then.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
In 21 games for Frolunda in the SHL he has 17 points (11 goals and 6 assists), leading his team in scoring and he's 11th in league scoring. He's also 5'10 180lbs now so not that small. How good of a pick this guy has been turning out to be. 18 yrs old, post-draft year and lighting it up against men in one of the best leagues in the world.

Last edited:

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
Would love to see this guy play. Hopefully hes in the world jrs., see how he stacks up against other top prospects.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Would love to see this guy play. Hopefully hes in the world jrs., see how he stacks up against other top prospects.

Well, you can do that to some degree already. He's on the same team as Habs 2012 2nd rounder Sebastian Collberg, who has 3 points, and this summer's 13th overall pick Alex Wennberg, who has 7.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I think a few of his goals are from the shootout. None the less, still nice production from a late round pick.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010

Sondre Olden:(

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Johnson with another big night Tuesday, scored two goals and got an assist. He is now at 5-3-8 +5 through 7 games with the big club and tied for 4th in the league in scoring.

From what I saw, he likes to be the third man into the offensive zone and then change gears and head to the net. He most definitely has an eye for the net. He is by no means a power forward though, gets tossed around at times, but he is good with the puck in tight and is comfortable shooting it or passing it under pressure. He also was willing to give or take a hit along the boards to make a play. His defensive game is good for the SEL as he uses his speed (similar to Kadri), but I am not sure if it will translate to the NHL.

He is definitely a top 6 or bust prospect for this team. With our offensive depth at wing, I think it would be safe to assume he stays in Europe for another year before we try and bring him over to the AHL. The SHL is a better development league than the OHL.

Cant he play in the AHL next year?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

Yep, we'll never know.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't, since Karlsson went mid-1st.

Schenn was picked pretty much exactly where he was rated by all the scouts and the entire hockey world, 5th-6th overall.

If people knew Karlsson was going to be Karlsson he would have gone top 4.

Mapleleafs Fan*

Lets hope for a smaller version of Patrick Kane came to the Leafs in 7th round.

crazyaces**

Yep, we'll never know.

Karlssson was a riser in the draft within the months leading up to it. after the rankings had been submitted I think he was listed as a 3rd rounder. In fact he was thought of as being taken high because Ottawa knew he was going to get snatched up. Also alot of the european markets are not nearly as heavily scouted as NA, and so a lot of players slip under the rader. In fact you could probably find good players that you would normally have to draft in the first 3 rounds but can pick them up later just due to lack of scouting.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
So it's no longer the swedish elite league (SEL) but now the Swedish Hockey League (SHL)?

But anyways, has 22 points in 32 games with Frolunda this year and had a pretty good game today against USA with 2 goals 1 assist in a 4-2 win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad