Prospect Info: Leafs 7th. pick at #202 Andreas Johnson - LW - Frolunda Jr.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Like I said, I think this is a very good pick. Johnson got great potential, I've followed him closely the last few seasons and he has developed into a very interesting prospect. He's always been shorter and lighter then his peers, but this season he started filling out and his production increased accordingly.

When he first started playing the the J20 SuperElit he was a tweener, much smaller than anyone else out on the ice but still managed to put up 0.5PPG from a third/fourth line role. He got by on his shot, his skating, and his hockey smarts. He is still growing, a late bloomer for hockey players, but once he puts it all together I think he could be a top producing player at senior level. He has very smooth hands, he has a very good concealed shot and knows how to pick his corners. He is an excellent skater, not the fastest guy from a to b but his skating is real smooth and he can shift gears effortlessly.

It will be interesting to see what a summer training program with the senior team will do to him. Today he's most effective off the rush, at high speeds where he can get away from defenders. He needs to get much stronger to have an impact at senior level, where the play is much more stationary in the SEL.

Agree on this and as you mentioned he's still growing. If he ends up close to his fathers size(it's highly unlikely he reaches his father but if he hits a growth spurt he could get within 1 or 2 inches) he could turn out a massive steal. Really like this guy and wanted the Oilers to grab him in the 7th round. I think there's a chance he plays his way into Frölundas line up already this year despite being pretty far down the depth chart before the season starts but he likely won't break out until a few years down the line. Congrats guys on a great project player.

Last edited:

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Anybody overseas have an update on his development? Based on stats alone, I see he has grown an inch (5'9" to 5'10") and put on 13 lbs (158 to 171 lbs) since being drafted. He has also made the SHL team full time and has posted 3G, 2A +3 through 6 games.

In addition, it looks like our 2012 Swede Viktor Loov is having a steady start stat wise and is standing tall at 6'3" and 190 lbs vs. 6'0" and 185 when we drafted him.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Watching all the Wings late round gems, I was thinking of this guy. All he needs is a little more size and I love this pick (actually I already do..loads of potential for so late in draft). Even if he says around 5'10", 5'11" 180 he will be intriguing.

Wasn't Loov the one that was listed as 5'9" in his draft year, then suddenly was 6'0"?

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Watching all the Wings late round gems, I was thinking of this guy. All he needs is a little more size and I love this pick (actually I already do..loads of potential for so late in draft). Even if he says around 5'10", 5'11" 180 he will be intriguing.

Wasn't Loov the one that was listed as 5'9" in his draft year, then suddenly was 6'0"?

Yeah, I remember there being an interview with Morrison about Loov being listed at 5'6" by central scouting but he knew he was closer to 6'0", and now he is 6'3". I'll try and find the article.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Way too early.

But i just want to point out that an 18yr old earning first line duty in the SHL is extremely rare, and usually something that only the elitr prospects do.

And doing it for a good team like frolunda is even rarer.

And scoring at a ~ppg rate even rarer still.

Again, way too early to get excited, but what johnson is doing so far as an 18yr old in sweden to start the year isn't normal at all. It's kind of a big deal.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Hopefully we get to see him with Sweden's WJC team.

He wasn't at their summer evaluation camp I believe, so it'll be hard for him to steal a spot. All though if he keeps playing like has, from what I've read, they would be quite stupid to leave him at home.

I haven't seen much of him or Sweden's depth this year, so I won't pretend like I know anything about his situation. It's great that he's producing very well for his age and draft status though.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd rather go all euro from rounds 5 on honestly, better chance at a steal.

Here's hoping this guy keeps developing, maybe let him do 2 years in Sweden then sign him to bein over for ahl development

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
By the way, in the recently held Euro Trophy 2013, Johnson was the top junior scorer:

1. Andreas Johnson
6 gp, 5 goals, 3 assists, 8 points

2. Alexander Wennberg
7 gp, 2 goals, 4 assists, 6 points

3. Teuvo Teräväinen
6 gp, 2 goals, 3 assists, 5 points

4. Sebastian Collberg
5 gp, 3 goals, 1 assists, 4 points

5. Ville Pokka
7 gp, 1 goal, 3 assists, 4 points

Pretty good company? I mean, the guys below him are all 1st/2nd round picks.

He wasn't at their summer evaluation camp I believe, so it'll be hard for him to steal a spot. All though if he keeps playing like has, from what I've read, they would be quite stupid to leave him at home.

I haven't seen much of him or Sweden's depth this year, so I won't pretend like I know anything about his situation. It's great that he's producing very well for his age and draft status though.

Yeah, I have read some Swedish posters putting him in on the top 2 lines. Guess it will depend on how he does in the SHL for the next few months.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Way early to call it but it's looking like a great pick at the moment! I'd like to see the Leafs pick more Europeans with their late picks especially now that the CBA has changed regarding the signing window on these picks (now 4 years for picks like Johnson).

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I would like to see Thommie Bergman have a shot at some early picks sometime.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Sounds great.

I feel the Leafs have drafted well and late in Europe for years. We deserve a Zetterberg break.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
By the way, in the recently held Euro Trophy 2013, Johnson was the top junior scorer:

1. Andreas Johnson
6 gp, 5 goals, 3 assists, 8 points

2. Alexander Wennberg
7 gp, 2 goals, 4 assists, 6 points

3. Teuvo Teräväinen
6 gp, 2 goals, 3 assists, 5 points

4. Sebastian Collberg
5 gp, 3 goals, 1 assists, 4 points

5. Ville Pokka
7 gp, 1 goal, 3 assists, 4 points

Pretty good company? I mean, the guys below him are all 1st/2nd round picks.

Yeah, I have read some Swedish posters putting him in on the top 2 lines. Guess it will depend on how he does in the SHL for the next few months.

Okay guys you have officially got me hyped on this prospect. Time to do a "next zetterberg" topic on the main board.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
While it's wayyy too early for a hype train, here's hoping! Seems like some pretty good company this guy is keeping.

Still, let us not forget Sondre Olden....

I'd rather go all euro from rounds 5 on honestly, better chance at a steal.

Euros and goalies! Let's do this!

Okay guys you have officially got me hyped on this prospect. Time to do a "next zetterberg" topic on the main board.

Gooood. Goooood! You know the thing about chaos, Harvey? It's fair!

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
If this guy is still putting up those kinda numbers among men in the elite league after 20-30 games, then i'm going to start getting excited. Especially if that tiny tiny 158lbs frame is going up.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
The Swedish league website has him updated at 5'10", 183 pounds.

attachment.php

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
bergman is the best scout we have. too bad he never gets to pick the first rounder.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
bergman is the best scout we have. too bad he never gets to pick the first rounder.

A first round pick isn't going to be any better just because Bergman made the pick. His talent seems to be in finding talent that goes unrecognized by most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad