Post-Game Talk: Leafs 5, Pens 0 - Would You Like Fries with that Crap Sandwich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
How often does a team change what made it successful immediately after winning a championship?

I feel like you pop up every so often to offer the same arguments, you receive the same rebuttals, and then you disappear again. It's strange--your posts give the impression that you care more about being perceived as "right" than you care about the team actually winning games.
Let's pretend this is true, that teams don't change after winning a cup because it worked not only once but in this particular case, it worked twice. Then in their 3rd attempt, literally every team in the league took notice not only once, but twice and made adjustments after the 1st cup, then again after the 2nd cup so in the 3rd year when the Penguins were trying to win...not only did they take notice, they adapted, adjusted and the league got faster.

In that time, our coach preached the ever so ugly phrase of "play our game" or something to that extent. Which many of our previous failed coaches have done, time and time again, even in the face of teams that have not only adapted and adjusted to us, but have over come what this team has done in that time and know how to work us.

The team doesn't make any attempts to adjust and adapt, it thinks the line-up is the issue.

IT LITERALLY THINKS THE PLAYERS ARE THE ISSUE.

It's absurdly clear its the system, it needs to adapt and adjust to what the league is now, this is a much faster league and it's the Penguins own doing, so how do they fix it? First, a deep dive into the system, look at it, learn and adapt.

Then make adjustments.

Reactions: Andy99 and Burn

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Anyone see the that one episode of American Vandal: Pittsburgh Sprongburglar?

The texts after, the Sullyburglar as he calls himself, made his last prank of not promoting Sprong, but bumped up Hornqvist and shifted the players around like always was stubbornly chilling.

Then ended the post with the haunting Sullyburglar image...

WYl41sE.png

I don't know who it is, but each episode gets clearer and clearer...

Reactions: domaug

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What irks me is that this is what, the 3rd time we fell in love with a coach for their "development style" and then after a year we've realized this shit doesn't work if that coach doesn't adapt and adjust? Sully was amazing for 2 seasons and then in the 3rd, he was truly tested because everyone caught up to his shtick and the Caps took it and did it better than us.

Now Sully is in year 4 trying to do the same thing again, what's that saying for the meaning of insanity?

Reactions: John Titor

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
What irks me is that this is what, the 3rd time we fell in love with a coach for their "development style" and then after a year we've realized this **** doesn't work if that coach doesn't adapt and adjust? Sully was amazing for 2 seasons and then in the 3rd, he was truly tested because everyone caught up to his shtick and the Caps took it and did it better than us.

Now Sully is in year 4 trying to do the same thing again, what's that saying for the meaning of insanity?

The Caps series was pretty close but do you think Malkin, Brassard, Kessel, Hagelin and Letang fully healed would have made a big difference.

I’ll bet no other team would have gotten close to what we did.

This season when our effort is at 100% (or close to it) we’ll win a majority of the time. We have a lot of skill to be able to move the puck quickly up the ice. If we dont play as a unit going the other way it breaks down. It’s pretty simple too. Skate back hard and have good positioning. No matter your talent level that should be one of the easiest things to do. If you can at least do that you should never lose in a blow out.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Caps series was pretty close but do you think Malkin, Brassard, Kessel, Hagelin and Letang fully healed would have made a big difference.

I’ll bet no other team would have gotten close to what we did.

This season when our effort is at 100% (or close to it) we’ll win a majority of the time. We have a lot of skill to be able to move the puck quickly up the ice. If we dont play as a unit going the other way it breaks down. It’s pretty simple too. Skate back hard and have good positioning. No matter your talent level that should be one of the easiest things to do. If you can at least do that you should never lose in a blow out.

I think the Caps series needs to stop being what people use as a "we weren't that bad"...because the Caps were exercising their demons vs the Pens. They needed to win that series and were having their own issues to go through the Pens. Pens, their issues were not being able to adjust to the Capitals. Even as gimped as they were, they should have been able to beat the Caps.

This year, they have played well at times, but it's a lot like last season, a few games of looking great, followed be long stretches of mediocre play and then some really bad play.

We've literally seen a repeat performance of last season.

Thank god Malkin is healthy (for now) and Letang only missed 1 game so far.

As for Brassard, this guy will probably never play the rest of the year healthy for us.

Reactions: EightyOne

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think the Caps series needs to stop being what people use as a "we weren't that bad"...because the Caps were exercising their demons vs the Pens. They needed to win that series and were having their own issues to go through the Pens. Pens, their issues were not being able to adjust to the Capitals. Even as gimped as they were, they should have been able to beat the Caps.

This year, they have played well at times, but it's a lot like last season, a few games of looking great, followed be long stretches of mediocre play and then some really bad play.

As for Brassard, this guy will probably never play the rest of the year healthy for us.

If Malkin was not banged up we could have still won. He could only skate in straight lines and was pretty useless on his return in the Caps series. With Brassard unable to step up because of his groin we were in a lot of trouble.

Give those injuries to Kuznetsov and Backstrom and the Caps would fall apart.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

The point of bringing up the caps series is that a repeat of last season with a few small changes to health or cold streaks could be another cup win. For all of our faults last year we were still one of the best in the league. That's not to say the faults aren't there; they absolutely are. But other teams have faults too. It's really hard to win in this league. Being ahead of the curve as we were in 2016 is almost unheard of. Now other teams are catching up and it's that much harder now. We aren't the only team trying to win.

Last edited:

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Dumb lazy idiots decided to take a night off again. Seriously, these stupid jerks need a guy with a red hot rod standing behind them at all times and torching their lazy asses before each game, because otherwise, every time they string a couple of decent games together, they start thinking that every single one of them is a superstar, the Cup is already in their pocket, and start coasting through games and not giving a bleep about all the people who come to the arena or turns on the TV. Efff them, entitled idiots.

PS: I see that my "notes for the moderator" are not working, and our dear stupid mod(s) continue(s) to misinterpret the intent and content of my posts, so efff him/her/them too.

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
@Honour Over Glory

That bad guy Sullivan makes me want to do a classic Batman *POW* punch to the face lol

He looks like a true villain.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
The great thing about these no show games is that I can fast forward most of them.

It's really puzzling how much our home form has slipped, not so long ago we were almost unbeatable at home, now we can't buy a win.

Hagelin brings a lot to the table that doesn't show on the score sheet but 3 points when playing on a line with Geno and Phil who are scoring a lot has to be some kind of record. Geno needs to shoot more, 29 shots when he is in that kind of form is way too little. Not that this would have mattered in this particular game when nobody bothered to show up but still.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
What made it even worse was that it was about 60-40 Pittsburgh fans to Toronto fans.

Super embarrassing. My entire section was Toronto fans.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
What made it even worse was that it was about 60-40 Pittsburgh fans to Toronto fans.

Super embarrassing. My entire section was Toronto fans.

My section was filled with Leafs fans, which was great for my wife. Got to see her jump up and cheer and double high five everyone in our row and behind us... five times.

Some lady behind us tapped me on the shoulder and made a lighthearted comment about us sticking together since we are in Leafs territory. I was like sure, as soon as the Pens give us a reason to cheer...

Was happy for my wife though. Gotta compartmentalize things and her happiness means more to me than a Pens win TBTH.

Those blaming Sullivan are amateurs. You don’t know what your watching.

Things will be fine. This isn’t a roster that will be motivated 82 games a year. Leafs had lost their last two as well and were extremely motivated after what the Pens did to them last time.

There are no Scotty Bowmans left that will come in and scare superstars into being motivated. Even he got shipped out by Lemieux, basically.

Pens played well enough to beat the Isles in both games, then dropped an egg last night.

There are things I think need corrected if they want to compete for a cup, (like another legit offensive defenseman that can skate) but that’s more on JR, than Sullivan.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
So your mind was clearly already made up...just before Horny performed in the playoffs - like he always does - and finished 3rd in team scoring ahead of Malkin and Kessel.

And then time moves forward and things change. What’s the Pens identity Right Now? Same as it was under Bylsma, only now those players are older.

You are too emotionally tied to the last cup years and want to freeze time, time wins.

We are fast becoming the Wings, and look at them 10 years later. JR can avoid that same history but will take a cold heart that leaves out emotions.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
My section was filled with Leafs fans, which was great for my wife. Got to see her jump up and cheer and double high five everyone in our row and behind us... five times.

Some lady behind us tapped me on the shoulder and made a lighthearted comment about us sticking together since we are in Leafs territory. I was like sure, as soon as the Pens give us a reason to cheer...

Was happy for my wife though. Gotta compartmentalize things and her happiness means more to me than a Pens win TBTH.

My girlfriend and I go to Toronto a couple times a year and we really love the city. We both feel very comfortable there, and we were even kicking around the idea of trying to pick up and move there. After doing the pro's and con's it just didn't make sense, but we still have our spots (I think WVRST is the best restaurant anywhere), and we rent the same Airbnb.

Toronto fans are respectful, and the ribbing is good natured. I was in the men's room line at the end of the 2nd (so I'm pissed and have 4 beers in me) and there were 5 Toronto fans behind me and I turned around and asked, "Do they bus you f*ckers in?" They all laughed and they were explaining to me that, yes...they do in fact bus them in. The f***ing bus actually blocked Fifth Ave after the game. It was a great way to end an ass beating. I have never seen our arena get taken over like that but my buddy who has season tickets said that happens with Montreal and Detroit too. I have never been to a home game against either of those teams though.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
And then time moves forward and things change. What’s the Pens identity Right Now? Same as it was under Bylsma, only now those players are older.

You are too emotionally tied to the last cup years and want to freeze time, time wins.

We are fast becoming the Wings, and look at them 10 years later. JR can avoid that same history but will take a cold heart that leaves out emotions.
lay out a plan. What should JR have done?

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
How often does a team change what made it successful immediately after winning a championship?

I feel like you pop up every so often to offer the same arguments, you receive the same rebuttals, and then you disappear again. It's strange--your posts give the impression that you care more about being perceived as "right" than you care about the team actually winning games.

Almost none to answer your first question. But one organization that is practicing what I have been preaching are the New England Patriots. Oh yea, they have dominated for nearly 18 years.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
What irks me is that this is what, the 3rd time we fell in love with a coach for their "development style" and then after a year we've realized this **** doesn't work if that coach doesn't adapt and adjust? Sully was amazing for 2 seasons and then in the 3rd, he was truly tested because everyone caught up to his shtick and the Caps took it and did it better than us.

People laughed off the loss of Tocchet here, they should watch AZ play now. Tocchet was a huge loss and Sulky will be nearly as hated as DB here by the time he is let go.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
My girlfriend and I go to Toronto a couple times a year and we really love the city. We both feel very comfortable there, and we were even kicking around the idea of trying to pick up and move there. After doing the pro's and con's it just didn't make sense, but we still have our spots (I think WVRST is the best restaurant anywhere), and we rent the same Airbnb.

Toronto fans are respectful, and the ribbing is good natured. I was in the men's room line at the end of the 2nd (so I'm pissed and have 4 beers in me) and there were 5 Toronto fans behind me and I turned around and asked, "Do they bus you f*ckers in?" They all laughed and they were explaining to me that, yes...they do in fact bus them in. The ****ing bus actually blocked Fifth Ave after the game. It was a great way to end an ass beating. I have never seen our arena get taken over like that but my buddy who has season tickets said that happens with Montreal and Detroit too. I have never been to a home game against either of those teams though.

I go to Leafs-Pens games at PPG at least once a year so I’m used to it, plus not only being married to a Leafer, I have tons of friends and family (on her side obviously) that are Leafs fans. I also played lots of outdoor pickup in Canada in the winters and got to meet tons of cool Leafs fans, and obviously got to know other local Leafers.

So ya, I used to live right next to Toronto for years. It’s a great city and a huge melting pot, which is awesome.

Have you ever hit the Island or St Lawrence market when you go?

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
lay out a plan. What should JR have done?

Aren’t you just setting me up? Trades are impossible to speculate unless you know who is interested and what’s available.

I would have went all out for Domi, in fact you can look through my posts the past 18 months where I suggested JR should do whatever it took to acquire. One example.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

There's nothing but your baseless conjecture to suggest Hornqvist's the source of our early-season "struggles" (2nd in our division with a game in hand despite injuries to Schultz and Brassard), and that's not worth much.

You seem to think Horny's the issue because the Pens needed to get younger and faster, despite both the fact that he's always been a huge contributor in spite of his speed because of his irreplaceable net-front play, and that Rust - a 26 year old speed demon - has been much less effective than Hornqvist since your prediction "before the end of last season".

That doesn't mean Rust's contract is a problem, but if you're looking for scapegoats there are much younger and faster players to point your finger at. The only problem is that it blows up your speed narrative.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I go to Leafs-Pens games at PPG at least once a year so I’m used to it, plus not only being married to a Leafer, I have tons of friends and family (on her side obviously) that are Leafs fans. I also played lots of outdoor pickup in Canada in the winters and got to meet tons of cool Leafs fans, and obviously got to know other local Leafers.

So ya, I used to live right next to Toronto for years. It’s a great city and a huge melting pot, which is awesome.

Have you ever hit the Island or St Lawrence market when you go?

We have not made it to the Island, but St Lawrence market is something we do every time we go. We eat our way through it. We are admittedly "Strip District people" though. We can go every weekend and do the same things and be entertained. St Lawrence market is the exact same thing.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Aren’t you just setting me up? Trades are impossible to speculate unless you know who is interested and what’s available.

I would have went all out for Domi, in fact you can look through my posts the past 18 months where I suggested JR should do whatever it took to acquire. One example.
I just assume since you are apparently prescient that you would have the answers. Are you saying you don't actually know?

Foots

ALL OURS
May 5, 2018
If Malkin was not banged up we could have still won. He could only skate in straight lines and was pretty useless on his return in the Caps series. With Brassard unable to step up because of his groin we were in a lot of trouble.

Give those injuries to Kuznetsov and Backstrom and the Caps would fall apart.
Excuses. No Backstrom, no Wilson, no Burakovsky, no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad