Post-Game Talk: Leafs 4 - Jets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
They had a lot of effort in an inconsistent game. Major screw ups allowed the Leafs to get a lead and play a more defensive style. If you don’t give up the short handed goal and then get the PP goal it’s a 1 goal game and a chance for a different ending.

They need a couple of wins to rinse the stench off. Saku doesn’t have the vision to play with a Perfetti.

Barron was ok but there’s no reason not to see what 91-55-27 would look like as a line.

Hockey Day in Canada is going to suck if we lay an egg against the Sens.
I want to see what perfetti and Connor look like together. The best playmaker with the best sniper. Someone would have to play on their offside though.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Watch a team from the west will win the Stanley Cup.

They might. I think part of the reason Vegas won against the Jets in 2018 is that the Pacific was a breeze compared to the 2nd round battle between the top 2 teams in the league and the Jets were tired. It didn't help that Round 3 started less than 48 hours after Game 7 against Nashville.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
What about Perfetti at centre? Can he play the position in the NHL? Then is he 2nd line C or third line C. Lowry is 4th line and Wheeler and Chef can play wing.

Reactions: FonRiesen

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Ehlers did have a couple of nice plays but his speed wasn't there and he was making uncharacteristically poor passes.

I'm wondering if the rigors of the season are making him sore. We saw when he came back he does still have his speed and agility , but the past few games that's been missing.

Schiefele was a culprit on 2 goals against and just hasn't looked into it recently. Bowness has noticed that, too.

Helle had a off night. Not saying he was bad, he had some great chances against but he was out played by Samsonov. Unfortunately i think that might be the key change that allows the tml to win a platoff series this spring.

At any rate, I thought the jets played well enough to win, but when your best players aren't your best against top teams, you probably aren't going to win.

I think the Jets will have a better result against the Senators tomorrow.
I think that kind of echoes Bones statement on the game. Gave them 3 goals. Their best beat our best, and if that happens you will often lose.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Ehlers did have a couple of nice plays but his speed wasn't there and he was making uncharacteristically poor passes.

I'm wondering if the rigors of the season are making him sore. We saw when he came back he does still have his speed and agility , but the past few games that's been missing.
Totally agree with this. Ehlers is just not himself lately, at all. Biggest thing I notice is his speed is not there, or his body movement. He's usually not a lazy player, so I think his operation is not fully healed, or he's a little scared of re -aggravating it, or maybe he has ? Would like to see the old Ehlers that can rush the puck from his defensive zone, skate thru the opposition, circle around the net, while the defenseman back off in awe of his speed. I hope Ehlers will return back to his old form -- but he's definitely not his old self right now.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Schiefele was a culprit on 2 goals against and just hasn't looked into it recently. Bowness has noticed that, too.

Helle had a off night. Not saying he was bad, he had some great chances against but he was out played by Samsonov. Unfortunately i think that might be the key change that allows the tml to win a platoff series this spring.

At any rate, I thought the jets played well enough to win, but when your best players aren't your best against top teams, you probably aren't going to win.

I think the Jets will have a better result against the Senators tomorrow.
Schiefele used to get up for the Leafs games and usually play his best hockey of the season against them.

Really don’t know what’s up with him lately, maybe he’s looking for a change in scener!

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Sure. Who isn't? That doesn't make him a good target for the Jets. He would be the 4C.
if he comes at a cheap price he would be a good target, even if he is the 4c he is a major major upgrade on stenlund/gus

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Maybe its the time change?
I would like to see what the rest of the western conference record is against the east.
1674261561202.png

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
What about Perfetti at centre? Can he play the position in the NHL? Then is he 2nd line C or third line C. Lowry is 4th line and Wheeler and Chef can play wing.
What, what, what...

I don't think Perfetti is strong enough or fast enough to play C (at least not yet).
Lots of players who played C in junior are converted to the wing when they get to the NHL.
Lowry is always going to get big minute assignments, every coach we've had has trusted him with that.
That means he's not playing "4th line".
We can call the lines whatever we want but in deployment Lowry isn't falling below 3rd line minutes.
That is unless we acquire 2 to 3 top 6 players including a C.
I don't see that happening.
If management is looking to upgrade the team I don't think Lowry is at the top of their list of spots to improve on.

I don't get the Scheif/Wheeler joke? Are you saying they would be wingers on the 4th line?

Last edited:

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
If the Jets were to acquire Toews I'm pretty sure him and Lowry would be put together to anchor the checking line with one of them playing wing. Bringing in Toews to play 7 to 8 minutes a night on the 4th line doesn't help the team.
stenlund has been getting an average of 12:50 mins a game on our 4th line, I don't think he'd end up being the 4c either just if he did he would be an upgrade

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I know these last two games have fans down a bit but we are 7-3-0 in our last 10 games. If you are a kick ass team you lose 2 of every 5 games on balance. Keep punching and lets get Ottawa tomorrow.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I wonder if Schief just isn’t good enough and you need a better centre to win the cup. I can’t think of a team with a weaker number #1 who won it. St Louis? I mean, ROR had similar offensive numbers and much better D.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I think that kind of echoes Bones statement on the game. Gave them 3 goals. Their best beat our best, and if that happens you will often lose.

Totally agree with this. And that’s why I think we need to bolster our bottom six for some more scoring. If our top guys have an off night you’d the lesser guys can pick off the slack most of the time. It’s not always gonna happen but the top teams usually have guys that can contribute outside of their stars.

Reactions: voyageur

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I wonder if Schief just isn’t good enough and you need a better centre to win the cup. I can’t think of a team with a weaker number #1 who won it. St Louis? I mean, ROR had similar offensive numbers and much better D.

PLD is really our #1 right now if we’re being honest. Scheif is more of a 1b right now.

Reactions: sipowicz

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
PLD is really our #1 right now if we’re being honest. Scheif is more of a 1b right now.
Is PLD a good enough 1c? Comparing him to Mackinnon, Eichel or some of the other team’s #1c’s we might have to go to to get to the finals.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Scheif has elevated his play in the playoffs before. 2018 Mark was good enough.
He has it in him. Plus we have PLD, so 2 1C’s.
Hopefully that and other factors give us a chance.

Reactions: GNP

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
What, what, what...

I don't think Perfetti is strong enough or fast enough to play C (at least not yet).
Lots of players who played C in junior are converted to the wing when they get to the NHL.
Lowry is always going to get big minute assignments, every coach we've had has trusted him with that.
That means he's not playing "4th line".
We can call the lines whatever we want but in deployment Lowry isn't falling below 3rd line minutes.
That is unless we acquire 2 to 3 top 6 players including a C.
I don't see that happening.
If management is looking to upgrade the team I don't think Lowry is at the top of their list of spots to improve on.

I don't get the Scheif/Wheeler joke? Are you saying they would be wingers on the 4th line?
Not on the third line, just wingers with Lowry. That's only if Perfetti can play C. I guess that would make the Lowry line the 2nd line.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I noticed the main board “Rank the Canadian teams” thread had added 8 pages since the Toronto game. Luckily 98% of those posts were Oilers and Leaf’s fans pissing on each other.

I expected it to be a public flogging of our jets and instead it was a delightful read of other peoples misery and insecurities. Get some popcorn and enjoy…

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Not on the third line, just wingers with Lowry. That's only if Perfetti can play C. I guess that would make the Lowry line the 2nd line.
We’d need to add two top 6 players to allow Perfetti to play (effectively) on a line without current top 6 players.

Last year Scheif, Lowry and Wheeler played together as our 3rd line for two games when Mark and Blake came back from COVID or whatever the issue was.
This was when Dubois/Connor and Stastny/Ehlers/Copp were all on fire.

I knew it wouldn’t last but what a luxury to have L/S/W as a “3rd line”.

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
Totally agree with this. Ehlers is just not himself lately, at all. Biggest thing I notice is his speed is not there, or his body movement. He's usually not a lazy player, so I think his operation is not fully healed, or he's a little scared of re -aggravating it, or maybe he has ? Would like to see the old Ehlers that can rush the puck from his defensive zone, skate thru the opposition, circle around the net, while the defenseman back off in awe of his speed. I hope Ehlers will return back to his old form -- but he's definitely not his old self right now.
Spot on! It is certainly difficult to say if Ehlers is either cautious about reinjuring vs 😬possibly slightly reinjured, but given that granulation tissue is fully set in a soft tissue injury by 28-40 days, one could expect the injury is healed.
Getting the last bit of range of motion back at fully skating speed is another thing tho’, and I suspect that he may just be holding off on full afterburner because of that. I wouldn’t doubt he’s always pushing it though..
I just expect him to be on a slow, steady upward curve over the next 6-10 games..
But I’m not a sports PT, trainer or chiro any more..what do I know.
I’m just glad to see him back and hoping to see flashes of the old Danish.
We lost our crispy Croissant a few years ago and just seem to have sloppy turnovers on the plate lately..

Reactions: scelaton and GNP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad