Post-Game Talk: Leafs 4 - Jets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
That I’m expecting more from him like staying healthy like the rest of our stars and that when he finally gets back in that he should be more impactful.
again, he had a sports hernia and those can take a while to get back from, especially when everyone is in mid season form

Reactions: Jet and Jets 31

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
again, he had a sports hernia and those can take a while to get back from, especially when everyone is in mid season form
Again, I’m annoyed that one of our best players is losing so much of the season 1st being injured then taking time getting back up to speed. You are fine with it I get it.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'd agree -
Ehlers looks like he doesn't have the legs yet - he's rarely taking off on one of his famous solo runs into the ozone and that tells me he doesn't have all the mojo back yet. Hope it shows up soon

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Again, I’m annoyed that one of our best players is losing so much of the season 1st being injured then taking time getting back up to speed. You are fine with it I get it.
I want ehlers to get back up to speed.. how ever I am not going to claim he should be better because he was out "resting", I knew these type of injuries take some time to get up to speed especially coming in when everyone else is in mid season form

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
it's like people forgot how scheif was one of the people carrying our team when we had ehlers wheeler and perfetti out of the lineup and he was stuck with kuhlman/ajf/lowry/gags etc as his linemates
The obvious move is to trade Ehlers, Wheeler, and Perfetti.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I want ehlers to get back up to speed.. how ever I am not going to claim he should be better because he was out "resting", I knew these type of injuries take some time to get up to speed especially coming in when everyone else is in mid season form
Injured players are literally resting and recovering. If a player isn’t out there he is being “rested”. They are either playing or being “rested”. How quickly players recover depends on how hard they work at it.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
they are rehabbing, and it can take time to get back to their previous levels, some injuries take longer...
I’ve never been asked why is so and so not playing and answered because they are rehabbing him. I also think all players are playing through some level of injury. Connor probably has a hurt hand from being slashed that he keeps playing through. If you aren’t playing those other bruises should be healing and going away.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I’ve never been asked why is so and so not playing and answered because they are rehabbing him. I also think all players are playing through some level of injury. Connor probably has a hurt hand from being slashed that he keeps playing through. If you aren’t playing those other bruises should be healing and going away.
well this will be my last post on this stupid matter, sports hernia's take time to come back from, even when fully healed, even if players are out "resting" it will still take time to get back up to speed... I'm sure other players are playing with bumps and bruises Idk what that has to do with ehlers coming back from a surgery...

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
The strategy of having the defense step up to disrupt breakouts can be exploited by a high skill team like the Leafs and we saw that tonight. Jets got a lot of chances but the amount of odd man rushes the Leafs got was unpleasant to watch. Sucks to lose to the Leafs but they're a good team and I don't think the Jets were entirely outplayed. Samsonov outplaying Helle was the main reason for the loss and I wouldn't bet on that continuing through a multi game series.

Perfetti needs to play with skilled players to be effective. Playing him with Lowry and Maenalanen doesn't benefit anybody involved. Still he created chances.

Ehlers was about as bad as he was the first game he was back. Which was pretty awful. I'll take Ehlers' game tonight, bad and trying to find its way back to a groove, over Kuhlman's game every single night.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The strategy of having the defense step up to disrupt breakouts can be exploited by a high skill team like the Leafs and we saw that tonight. Jets got a lot of chances but the amount of odd man rushes the Leafs got was unpleasant to watch. Sucks to lose to the Leafs but they're a good team and I don't think the Jets were entirely outplayed. Samsonov outplaying Helle was the main reason for the loss and I wouldn't bet on that continuing through a multi game series.

Perfetti needs to play with skilled players to be effective. Playing him with Lowry and Maenalanen doesn't benefit anybody involved. Still he created chances.

Ehlers was about as bad as he was the first game he was back. Which was pretty awful. I'll take Ehlers' game tonight, bad and trying to find its way back to a groove, over Kuhlman's game every single night.
Good post, that’s why we like having you here. Do you have any targets for the trade deadline?

Reactions: AlaskaJet

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
View attachment 638224
Can you spot Scheiffle?
The dude in the red onesie on the far left wing?

Like! Insightful comment, thanks for this. Can you find a way to get to Ottawa? And then find out where Bones is staying?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Good post and I agree with your points. I didn't think the Jets played awful. They couldn't cash in the first and made a couple mistakes that cost them in the second.

I didn't think any of the makeshift lines worked after the first 10 minutes of the game. Barron was too sporadic when he had the puck, Cole needs players who read the play well in the ozone when they have/don't have the puck. Blake just can't keep up with the pace of Conner/Dubois and it slows them down.

I thought Ville was much better but made a coverage error on goal 2.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I didn't get to see all of this game, it was cut into by family dinner and Jeopardy. I did watch the first and the Jets played well enough to have a lead.

There's one one play I saw with Ehlers driving the defense back that gave Scheifele a grade A scoring chance and I like that feature of the lineup change. I'm still not sure Barron is as good an option as Wheeler on that line, but unless Perfetti gets promoted to the top line that's robbing Peter to pay Paul...I think it might take a while for a player like Nik to really get back in sync, but I'm still optimistic.

I noticed the ice as a bit of a factor in the way plays broke down offensively, but that's not a good excuse, however it does change the way you play with the puck as a skilled team. Samsonov has been a steal for the Leafs, their fans have to be happy with the way he has strengthened their team from the net out this year.

Still a chance to come out .500 on this road trip.
Ehlers did have a couple of nice plays but his speed wasn't there and he was making uncharacteristically poor passes.

I'm wondering if the rigors of the season are making him sore. We saw when he came back he does still have his speed and agility , but the past few games that's been missing.

Schiefele was a culprit on 2 goals against and just hasn't looked into it recently. Bowness has noticed that, too.

Helle had a off night. Not saying he was bad, he had some great chances against but he was out played by Samsonov. Unfortunately i think that might be the key change that allows the tml to win a platoff series this spring.

At any rate, I thought the jets played well enough to win, but when your best players aren't your best against top teams, you probably aren't going to win.

I think the Jets will have a better result against the Senators tomorrow.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Good post and I agree with your points. I didn't think the Jets played awful. They couldn't cash in the first and made a couple mistakes that cost them in the second.

I didn't think any of the makeshift lines worked after the first 10 minutes of the game. Barron was too sporadic when he had the puck, Cole needs players who read the play well in the ozone when they have/don't have the puck. Blake just can't keep up with the pace of Conner/Dubois and it slows them down.

I thought Ville was much better but made a coverage error on goal 2.
Barron doesn't have the hands to be top 6 just like Lowry unfortunately.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yes, just as I thought. The Leafs best forwards are better than our best forwards. Unless Hellebuyck stood on his head, which he didn't this game, the Jets were likely to lose. And that's what happened.
Are they, though?

I think it goes without saying that Matthews is the best of the bunch, but after that, they have Marner, Nylander, Tavares, and?

If our best forward is Connor, we have Schiefele, Dubois, Ehlers, and maybe Wheeler.

I'd say those two groups are pretty equal.

We got hurt but two of their best forwards. Connor and Dubois could have easily done the same to the Leafs with an opposite result.

The Jets are 6 goals behind the Leafs in goals scored and 12th overall. We're 8th in goals against, tied with the Leafs.

Your arguments are a prime example of reactionary posting after a couple losses.

I would like to see us pick up some scoring, but most importantly I'd like to see us pick up a guy for the top 6 that is skilled but extremely tenacious defensively. That would serve us much better in the playoffs.

Barron doesn't have the hands to be top 6 just like Lowry unfortunately.
Yeah i was really hoping he'd be the guy who could grow into that but I'm not seeing the hands.

The shitty Jets have dominated that last two games. Will they make it a hatrick of shit? A shitrick? Watch this space.
Do you just look at boxscores?

Reactions: hn777 and Jets 31

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

It's a good system if all the Jets forwards buy in but we had some passengers last night

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It's a good system if all the Jets forwards buy in but we had some passengers last night
Agreed but i will say Samsonov made some really nice stops for Toronto. If he plays ok yesterday's game is probably a OT game. It's that Montreal game that really gets under my skin.

Reactions: hn777 and Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Agreed but i will say Samsonov made some really nice stops for Toronto. If he plays ok yesterday's game is probably a OT game. It's that Montreal game that really gets under my skin.
I fully agree with both. I thought Helle played well enough for us to win, but wasn't great. Samsonov played great.

The Montreal game was an example of a team that is too proud of their record and takes the contest as a free space on the bingo card.

The Jets have learned a lot, but still have stuff to learn. Thank god we are in a position where we can try to reinforce good habits without panicking about making the playoffs.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Jesus Christ what an utterly stupid string of posts on this. You're comparing bumps and bruises to a guy needing to under the knife for core-surgery. Rest is a game or 2 off....not 2.5 months recovering and rehabbing. 2.5 months away from something, yeah your game-play timing, hands, decision-making etc might be a tad off. especially when opponents or teammates are in mid-season form, & last night was against a v good team.

Speaking of impactful...Since his return he has 7 5v5 pts, and 10 points at all strengths. 1st and 2nd on the team, as well as top Fwd in scoring/TOI efficiency. His shot/chance/goal share stats are all fine as well. was last night him at his best? probably not. but it's a blip in what otherwise has been a v solid stretch of games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad